speakersw/ stock HU

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited March 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have an 2005 WRX and want to upgrade the 6.5" components to db6500. I don't want to rip my first new car completely apart. Will the stock HU power them?
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2005
    not well, no. it is certainly possible, and it will still result in better sound, but the volume, clarity, and punch that you probably want are difficult to achieve without an external amp, or at least a new head unit.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited March 2005
    Well, you COULD...
    I ran my MM6's off my factory HU for about a week until I got my Alpine. Don't do it! You won't be able to turn the volume past a couple clicks before you get distortion. Your factory HU likely only puts out 5-7 watts. That's not nearly enough. You can get amps that will accept speaker-level input from your factory HU though. I'd do that at least. If you're going to stick with your factory HU and no amp, I'd stick with your factory speakers. Anything else wouldn't be much of an upgrade and I don't think you'd be happy with it.
    -Austin
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited March 2005
    My dad has a '99 subaru wagon, and it puts out 15 watts/ch. Already has "component" speakers in the front, too. Separate tweeters in the pillars of the front doors.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2005
    It wont hurt the speakers cause the stock h/u doesnt make enough power. Even pushed well into clipping it will never send out enough power to fry those DB's.

The problem with using the stock h/u is again with the power. It will never make enough to push those speakers properly and thus they wont sound nearly as good as they should. Also, since it wont make enough grunt to work the speakers right, youll have to turn it up more which means more distortion.

Bottom line: You can use the stock h/u for the DB's but it wont sound much better than your stock speakers cause theyre not being given enough power to push em properly. It wont hurt them so if youre wanting to use it til you can get a decent amp that would be fine.

Amps are not expensive as you think and there is really no reason not to get one. This MTX would be a great match for those speakers. Its on clearance at Sounddomain.com and is ridiculously cheap. Its an authorized dealer so you get all the warrantys and customer service. Its an MTX which makes some of the best amps on the planet. Its quite small so it would take up little room. It has speaker level inputs so you wont have to buy an aftermarket h/u (although you should). And most of all, it would sound 100 times better than the stock head unit.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited March 2005
    I THOUGHT THIS WAS GOING TO BE THE ANSWER. THE MONEY ISNT THE ISSUE. I LIKE THE STOCK LOOK. THE '05 HU IS SLEEK AND WELL INTEGRATED. I HAVE DONE TONS OF BEATER IN THE PAST. I AM, HOWEVER, RELUCTANT TO TOUCH THE NEW CAR.

THANK YOU FOR THE INPUT.

DAN
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited March 2005
    If you follow MacLeod's advice, your car will still look TOTALLY stock, but the sound will be drastically improved. If you get a small amp, you can put it under the seat and run all the wires under the carpet. Nobody will ever see it, but the sound will be much better. That amp accepts speaker-level inputs, meaning that you can hook it up to your factory HU with no problem.
    -Austin
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2