Can any one help

Options
umkalyan99
umkalyan99 Posts: 9
edited March 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
To give some history, All these years I was using a sony hi-fi music system and I love listening to rock and pop music, couple of months back I listined to my friend's component system and oh boy, I knew what I was missing all these years.

So, my requirement is very simple, I want a two speaker floor standing system , with a subwoofer ( if the speakers are not up to the task). What Polk speakers you'd suggest and what recievers you'd suggest for a total budget ( speakers + reciver) < $1600.

Also I love music and that's my priority. A million thanks in advance.
Post edited by umkalyan99 on

Comments

• reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Would you consider used gear? For 1600.00 you could build a very sweet system. Just a thought. Might look on audiogon.net or check out our member Russman www site he always has some good items for sale. Take your time, as far Polk if you insist on using a sub look at the LSi7 bookshelf, nice speaker but there are many to choose from.

Good Luck and welcome to Club Polk.

RT1
  • umkalyan99
    edited March 2005
    Options
    No, I don't consider used gear.

thanks
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited March 2005
    Options
    You could easily do Rti8's or Rti6's and have plenty of money for a good receiver. I let one of the HT gurus recommend a receiver. Another possibility would be the Lsi7's and receiver.

Use your DVD player as CDP until you can scrape the cash for dedicated CDP.

As stated above, you can put a very respectable system together with $1600 bucks--you just gotta shop around a bit.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited March 2005
    Options
    If I were you, I'd start considering it... you can save a ton of money and still get some GREAT stuff.

But, that's totally up to you.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited March 2005
    Options
    My 2 channel rig...
    SDA-2b's - used
    Antique Sound Lab tube amp - used
    Sansui tuner - used

Tube pre-amp and CDP - new

Lots of money saved and sound that is simply amazing.

Don't discard used gear to quickly, there are great deals to be had.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Exactly. Take SDA's for example... some of the best speakers out there for 2ch listening just aren't made anymore.

umkalyan99- score yourself a pair of the big bad SDA's, and you will be in 2ch HEAVEN.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • umkalyan99
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Hi,

I have planned to have Rti8 or Rti10 as my two floor standing speakers and planning have one of the three rcvers based on my research in the internet

a) Marantz 5400
    b) Denon 3805
    c) Yamaha RX 650

Music is foremost for me and but I want a multichannel system so that I can upgrade later with surround speakers. I want opinion from folks who owned Polk RTis on which of the above sounds the best.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,834
    edited March 2005
    Options
    You keep saying music is important to you, but getting speakers that were really made for HT and a receiver is not going to make beautiful music, IMO.

As far as that $89.00 POS amp, don't bother. :rolleyes:
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited March 2005
    Options
    I know you said otherwise, but I too strongly urge you to consider used. Buying used really stregthens a budget. You can get some great stuff out there.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Let our new friend sniff around this forum a little, see the camaraderie here. Perhaps he doesn't understand or care to understand that MOST of the forum members will back up their used equipment sales with ironclad guarantees.

You can spend an AWFUL lot of money on new equipment, and not get good sound.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)
  • F1nut
    edited March 2005
    Options
    "I agree that the power supply on this amplifier is a major weakness."

A major weakness equates to a POS in my book and given your track record with the flavor of the month....well, enough said.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Kick my speakers, I'll kick your ****.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Put your speakers under my shoes, I'll kick your ****.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by F1nut
    "I agree that the power supply on this amplifier is a major weakness."

A major weakness equates to a POS in my book and given your track record with the flavor of the month....well, enough said.

That was said in another thread but it was in the context of comparing the amp to very good (read as over $1000) audiophile quality equipment. It can pretty much be said that any switching power supply is a POS. What matters is what you get out of it as a whole. Almost all aspects of the amp are better than anything I've heard for under $500. I sure wish I had found this quality for the price when I was starting out. I could have saved a LOT of cash and been happier with the sound.

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • F1nut
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by Zero

Given your track record, I'd bet this is just another another pre-determined conclusion on something you have no experience with and know nothing of.

Well, you have me there. I have not listened to one of those units. However, I have read enough reviews and comments to form an opinion. Having said that, I'll put my track record up against yours any time. Let's face it, you're infamous for your flavor of the month reviews.

What I do have is enough experience and the wisdom to know not to waste my time and money on trying to turn a cow's ear into a silk purse.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by Zero

Forget reviews. You either have experience with a product and know it, or you do not. Period.

Hmmmm......you really want to go there, eh? What experience do you have to recommend the Onix XCD-88 for example? I'll answer for you, none. So, why don't you grab a cup of STFU.
    What are you even doing in this thread?

I thought that was obvious, but I quess not, so I'll spell it out for you. First, trying to prevent someone from wasting their money. Second, pushing your buttons......seems to have worked.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited March 2005
    Options
    I gave my educated opinion regardless of how it was obtained, you didn't like it and chose to take issue with it. Now, you want to talk to me about childish games.....LOOK in the mirror son!

Carry on.

President of Club Polk

• warren
    warren Posts: 756
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Zero, would the Teac AL700P Audio Amplifer do my 2.3's justice, is there enough oomph? Warren
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Zero, Thanks, The 2.3's are out on the lani, outside room, plexi glass ceiling, open on three sides, screened in, no sound bouncing around, the 2.3's playing in the two chanell mode SonySTR-DE985 has some presence, I can distinguish where the instruments are but I feel as though something is missing. I listen to,blues, jazz, clasical, oldies Fleetwood Segar...... Aloha, Warren
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • F1nut
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Warren,

You're going to need a lot more power than the Sony you have to get what you're missing and believe me, you're missing a lot. Look for something with at least 200wpc and clean high current power mated with a tubed pre amp...it's magic.

President of Club Polk

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited March 2005
    Options
    For low volume levels it would be great! Personally I would go for something like F1 has because I like a louder volume but it would be a little more expensive. :)
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • umkalyan99
    edited March 2005
    Options
    Guys, Pls help me, I live in India ( silly me, i should have mentioned that earlier) and we get only popular names like denon , onkyo and yamaha over here. For Polk Rti8, pls let me know your choice among the following that I have listed here. My reciver budget is less than ( <$700)
    It will be of great help.

Hi,

I have planned to have Rti8 or Rti10 as my two floor standing speakers and planning have one of the three rcvers based on my research in the internet

a) Marantz 5400
    b) Denon 3805/2805/2105/1905
    c) Yamaha RX 650
    d) HK 135

Music is foremost for me and but I want a multichannel system so that I can upgrade later with surround speakers. I want opinion from folks who owned Polk RTis on which of the above sounds the best.
  • umkalyan99
    edited March 2005
    Options
    First thanks for the info,
    In my country even a HK 135 costs a whopping $600 due to duties, so I can't go higher than that. How reliable is HK are you satisfied with their quality?
  • umkalyan99
    edited March 2005
    Options
    I checked and denon 3805 will cost more than $1600 over here, so I have to contend with the following models.

denon 2105/1905
    Onkyo 602/502 ( I read in some review that it gets too hot too soon)
    Yamaha rx650
    marantz 5400

Also another question, I saw in some posts that yamaha does not pair well with polks because they are too bright for polk, what's your take on yamaha