My System "Pops" at Start Up - Help!

mrmsudawgs
mrmsudawgs Posts: 34
edited March 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
I just got my system installed. When I turn the key to "on" the head unit turns on as it should. Just as soon as it does I hear a very loud "Pop" or "Thump" coming from my speakers. I've had the head unit for a month prior to getting my amp and other equipment installed and I never heard this sound before. What can cause the loud thump and how can if fix it? Is it damaging my speakers?

Help!!

Here are my specs:
Alpine CDA-9831 Head Unit
Polk Carbon C400.4 Amp
Polk Momo MM2104 10" sub
Polk Momo C570 Door Speakers (Front)
Alpine Type S Door Speakers (Rear Fill on head unit power)

Mike
Post edited by mrmsudawgs on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2005
    No, but's annoying. I had the same problem after I installed my Audiocontrol piece. You need to get a turn-on pop eliminator. Here is the one I use:David Navone Engineering The first one is a set time delay. The second one is adjustable. I use the second one.
  • mrmsudawgs
    edited March 2005
    Thanks for the link but shouldn't my Alpine CDA-9831 head unit have a built in delay for the amp?
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2005
    apparently not :)
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2005
    Actually what most Alpines have is when you turn them on they turn up the volume gradually so when it pops the volume is turned down and you dont hear it. However this doesnt help the turn off thump.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • mrmsudawgs
    edited March 2005
    I've discovered that mine will pop even if the volume is turned way down. I have also discovered that the amp turns on before the head unit boots up all the way and remains on even if I turn the head unit off. According to tech support at Alpine, if I turn the head unit off then the amp should turn off as well. I have a feeling that my installer wired my amp to a fuse instead of the amp turn-on lead of my head unit.

Mike
  • neomagus00
    edited March 2005
    very possibly. thankfully, if you're willing to spend some time on it, it is very simple to run it properly yourself.

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2005
    its quite common. it wont damage your speakers, its just some amps have the turn on pop. if you can stand it, save your money and dont do anything about it, if not-that dave navone piece josh recommended is good, or if you know anything about electronics you can put a delay on your REM wire. if your amps stay on after your head unit turns off...like 30 minutes later its still on, they wired it to a constant instead of the REM wire. its very easy to fix yourself. the only skill needed is to be able to cut and crimp a wire.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2005
    You need to check that out. He may very well have used a fuse instead of the remote wire. If he did use a fuse make sure he didnt hook into some 30 amp or more fuse. A 10 amp is all you need.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • mrmsudawgs
    edited March 2005
    I found the problem. The installer had used the "Ignition" wire on the back of my head unit instead of the "Remote" wire. Oddly, the remote wire was labeled "REMOTE" which made it quite obvious as to which one to use. HMMMM. Anyway - all is well now and the only "thump" I here now is coming from my sub!

Thanks for all the input! You all were a great help.

In Christ!
    Mike
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2005
    Dude! NEVER go back to this guy for installs again.

The ignition wire is ALWAYS yellow and the remote is almost always either blue or blue/white. Any installer that cant tell the difference is either an idiot or isnt taking time to do the job right. Either way, you dont want him tinkering with your gear.

• neomagus00
    edited March 2005
    i completely concur, and enjoy your new and improved system!

p.s. how can something be both new and improved? a fairly stupid question, but i've been wondering for a while...

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2005
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    Dude! NEVER go back to this guy for installs again.

The ignition wire is ALWAYS yellow

You sure about that?:confused:
  • neomagus00
    edited March 2005
    well, okay, sometimes the standards aren't always followed, but a new highend alpine probably adheres to CEMA.

and the manual i have in front of me thinks that the yellow is the always-connected +12V, while red is connected to the ignition. and blue is still remote turn on.

• MacLeod
    edited March 2005
    Originally posted by Josh
    You sure about that?:confused:

Oops. I meant the constant power wire is always yellow and the ignition wire is always red. :o

OK, NEVER go to me for installs. :(

Why is it EVERYTIME I make a definitive statement, I get it backwards? :mad:

• swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited March 2005
    we have an installer at work who gets his ignition and constant mixed. i always have to correct him. heheh
    cats.vans.bag...
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2005
    Maybe I should actually proof read my posts rather than just typing them and hitting "submit". Might save me some embarassment. :mad: :mad:

• neomagus00
    edited March 2005
    but then we would lose so much 4-sided-cube-related joy! :)

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2005
    i, for one, am glad you dont proof read your posts...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2005
    I knew I could count on my trustworthy Polkster comrades for support and understanding. :p