I need suggestions with building my new system

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited March 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi All

I just got a new car, an Acura RSX, and I need suggestions for building a new system. My previous car was a Civic and I spent so much money upgrading and changing my system that I just want to do it right the first time and not have to worry about upgrading again. I really dont have a spending limit on my new system, I just want to get the best possiable stuff. I need suggestions for everything, headunit, amps, speakers, etc... I would like to aim for achieving good sound quality so please help me out with building a killer system.

Thanks
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2005
    ::giggle:: if money is truly no object, you'll end up putting about 20 grand in. you must have some upper limit, even if it's several thousand, or else you'll be overwhelmed with the suggestions you get here.

barring that, i'd say Focal speakers and McIntosh amps, with KimberKable lines.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited March 2005
    I figured someone would say that. :) Anyways I would like to keep my limit around $4000 for everything.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2005
    $4000 eh?

MB Quart Q 6.5 components - $1000
    Xtant 4.4 biamped - $550
    JL Audio 12W6 - $500
    Xtant 6.1 - $550
    Pioneer P9 - $1000
    Streetwires wires and cables - $250
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • rbarbera75
    rbarbera75 Posts: 16
    edited March 2005
    Thanks for the post.

What is biamped? Is that the same thing as bridging?

I already know that I am going to put components up front but I also have room to put speakers in the rear. Should I put another set of components back there or not?
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2005
    Bi-amping is when you run 1 set of components off of a 4 channel amp. Youd run the tweeters off the front channels and the mids off the rear. This would give you tremendous flexibility in tuning the output of your tweeters.

Rear speakers are ok if you have a big car like a Suburban or something and haul passengers around frequently. Otherwise, rears are not needed. Not only do they add to the expense but having the same sound coming at you from different directions will smear the detail slightly along with puling your soundstage to the rear.

Rear speakers wont suck but the best SQ will always be achieved with fronts only.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Lonewolf32
    Lonewolf32 Posts: 5
    edited March 2005
    MB Quarts, Infinity, Focal, and Image Dynamics are great for componet sets. Image Dynamic has HLCD ( Horn Loaded Compresion Driver) componet sets that are awesome, and I believe Focal also has them. I think Horns are better for sq, but just my personal opinion.

For Amps check out the new Hifonics amps http://www.maxxsonics.com/hifonics/ampsnew_genxx.html

Subs look into Image dynamics: IDQ12 V.2s or IDMAX 12 and Adire Audio: Brahma 12" http://www.adireaudio.com/

Custic has a nice cross over thats 6 ins and 6 out with the sub out having a 36 db slope.

Headunits Nokimichi (i know I cant spell lol), Kenwood, and the new Panisonic stuff looks cool and the specs seem to be inline.

well good luck, and let us know what you go with and how things are coming along.
    Thanks
    LoneWolf32
  • spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited March 2005
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    $4000 eh?

MB Quart Q 6.5 components - $1000
    Xtant 4.4 biamped - $550
    JL Audio 12W6 - $500
    Xtant 6.1 - $550
    Pioneer P9 - $1000
    Streetwires wires and cables - $250

To save some money in one spot, and add to another. The q's you can get for like $600 from speedsound. The P9 also has two seperate units, the HU which is like $1000-1200, and then the eq thats made for it, which is another $800 or so, but its a 31-band, independant left and right eq. So you've got 31 bands for the left, and another 31 for the right. Thats a lot of tuning, but if you goin with the best, why not go with what makes it the best.
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • neomagus00
    edited March 2005
    1 Focal K2 Power 6.5" 3-ways, ~$800, retail
    3 Zapco Reference 350.2 ~$470 each, retail

1 Diamond Audio D9 series 12" Dual-4 Ohm ~$370
    1 Zapco Reference 1100.1 ~$1100, retail

1 Zapco 2-way xover,
    2 Zapco 30 band eq ~$500 each, retail
    A few Symbilink cables and adaptors

1 Pioneer Premier P960MP, $445, www.mainstreet-audio.com

A couple hundred for stinger expert equipment - capacitor, power/ground, speaker wires, NO RCAs! :D

Mine puts you closer to 5500, but this gives you amazing sound, ridiculously low noise, and plenty of volume when you want it.

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • rbarbera75
    rbarbera75 Posts: 16
    edited March 2005
    Thanks for the suggestions and the website.

Whats the difference between Pioneer and Premier? Is Premier a better brand? I did notice that on the HU that you suggested that the Premier has 6.5V preouts instead of 4V on the Pioneer.
  • neomagus00
    edited March 2005
    They're both Pioneer, but Premier is their best line. At your price level, there is absolutely no reason not to go Premier (should you choose Pioneer - again, at this level, the choice between Pioneer, Alpine, and Kenwood is purely personal, based on ease of use and cosmetics). Note, however, that the preout voltage matters - higher is better - UNLESS you use a line driver, as is included in my setup.

Again, at this level, the choice of speaker is very personal. Focal has been described as 'surgical' which appeals to me personally. Other flavors could be 'warm', 'rich', 'smooth', 'natural', etc. All of these are personal choices, the only way to find out which you like is to go and listen. At this level, you may have to travel a significant distance to hear the stuff, but the work will be absolutely worth it.

A few good places to learn the basics, if you aren't already familiar:
    www.crutchfieldadvisor.com
    www.bcae1.com
    www.mobileaudio.com/rac-faq

• MacLeod
    edited March 2005
    This is the P9 I would recommend. In my opinion its about the best head unit on the market.

These prices are retail prices and you can probably get better deales online but be careful who you order from. Unauthorized dealers will be much cheaper but you could get ripped off.

• neomagus00
    edited March 2005
    i like it but it's ugly :) (imho) while it may sound better, i think that in a car, even with equipment this good, you wouldn't hear the difference. but then again, maybe you could.

• MacLeod
    edited March 2005
    I think it looks cool. I like the simple look. kind of like a Denon.