Weirdest problem ever!!!!

PoweredByMAZDA!
PoweredByMAZDA! Posts: 15
edited March 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have an alpine CDA7995 head unit hooked to 3 amps. The remote lead from the radio turns on a relay which turns the remote line power onto the 3 amps (there are 2 mtx blue thunder pro150.2's and a alpine 4ch 65Wx4)

The problem I am having only happens when I have the remote line (from the radio) hooked to the relay (to turn on the amps). If I leave the remote line unhooked it works fine.

If I turn the radio off (with the power button) and turn it back on, the faceplate wont open (its a motorized faceplate). It says "open" on the display but it just dosent open... and I know the gears inside or the motors arent messed up because they arent making any griding noises and I cant hear them eating up. Its almost like the radio isnt sending a signal to the motors to even open up.

This only happens after I turn the radio off with the power button and turn it back on. Once its on again it wont open (I cant change the angle of the faceplate or open/close it) But, if I turn off the key in my vehicle and turn it back on the deck works perfect again until I turn it off at the power button.

I really think this has something to do with my remote line. I called alpine and they told me to send the unit in for repair. They couldnt find any problems with it and sent it back (obviously the radio still had the same problem.) I then got them to exchange the radio for another one that was refurbished and I still have the same problem!!!. When I called them back the alpine tech told me to try diode-isolating the remote line. The thing I dont understand is how can this help if the remote line is only turning on a relay, which then in turn gives power to the remote turn ons for the amps. PS... I have checked my remote line from the radio to the relay (that turns on the amps) and there are not any spots where the remote line is cut or grounding out on the car. Any help would be appreciated.
2002 Ford Focus, Saleen Series 3 body kit, Eibach Racing suspension, ** Mazda RX7 13B ROTARY engine with Twin Turbo**. Converted to rear wheel drive. Dual Stainless Exhaust. 300+ HP. 17 Inch Gunmetal Excel Racing Rims, Toyo Tires & 4 Wheel 12 Inch Racing stainless steel Disc brake system.
Post edited by PoweredByMAZDA! on

Comments

• TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited March 2005
    couldnt be a wireing problem too the relay or a bad relay could it?
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2005
    Try running the remote from the head unit to a single amp rather than the relay and see if it works. If it still doesnt work then its not the relay but the head unit itself.

Remote turn ons are usually the first think on a head unit to go bad. Ive had several do this. Rather than deal with all the headache of sending the unit back in and waiting 4 years for them to get it back to you, you could run a lead froma fuse in the fuse block that only comes on with the ignition, as in the radio fuse. This would turn on the amps whenever the ignition is on. The only downside is if you have the ignition on and turn the h/u off the amps would stay on. But how often are you driving down the road with the h/u off?

Just a thought.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2005
    um... why not just try what they reccommended? seems pretty simple, solder a diode in...?
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited March 2005
    ive had many Hu's in my day..and have run chit loads off amps and stuff off them without relays...and have yet to have a remote on an HU die... You'd think after 20yrs...I might find this if its so common?
  • PoweredByMAZDA!
    PoweredByMAZDA! Posts: 15
    edited March 2005
    Did i forget to mention I also have an alpine cda9830 and it works fine? Same vehicle installed the same way with no problems whatsoever
    2002 Ford Focus, Saleen Series 3 body kit, Eibach Racing suspension, ** Mazda RX7 13B ROTARY engine with Twin Turbo**. Converted to rear wheel drive. Dual Stainless Exhaust. 300+ HP. 17 Inch Gunmetal Excel Racing Rims, Toyo Tires & 4 Wheel 12 Inch Racing stainless steel Disc brake system.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2005
    How do you have the relay hooked up? This is how it should be:

85-ground
    86-remote from HU
    30-amps
    87-12V ignition

The reason he said try a diode is that you might be getting some kind of ground feedback through the remote wire causing it to be screwy.