Pre-outs

Options
johnnyamerika
johnnyamerika Posts: 382
edited March 2002 in Technical/Setup
maybe this is a dumb question, but lets say you have a reciever like the Denon 2802 or Onkyo 787, with 6 channel powered sound, and 7 channel pre-outs. Would it be possible to run the surround back channels out of the pre-outs and into an L/R input of a stereo reciever? I have a powerful, but old, Onkyo stereo reciever with a CD/LD L/R input, so I was wondering if I could drive the surrounds through that. I know the best thing to do is to get just a 2 channel amp, but I'm wondering how this would work. I don't have expereince using pre-outs or multiple power sources.
Post edited by johnnyamerika on

Comments

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Will this work? yes, but you run the risk of overloading the preamp in the receiver that you are sending the surround signal to. The receivers inputs are for a fixed line signal, you would be feeding it a variable line signal. You can do this it will not be the best.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • johnnyamerika
    johnnyamerika Posts: 382
    edited March 2002
    Options
    basically it will try to process sound that's already been processed? Any literature you know of on this?
  • Troy LaMont
    Troy LaMont Posts: 27
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Tons of people already use this type of setup for a 'pseudo' EX/ES sound. Although you wouldn't need a 'pseudo' surround for a processor that already decodes this format, you could use the extra receiver for processing the additional back channel with no ill-effects.

Basially the receiver would act as a stand alone amp in stereo mode. You would run RCAs out from the main receiver pre-outs to the inputs on the extra receiver and then speaker wire from the extra receiver to whatever speakers you'd be powering it with.

All the amp would be doing is powering the other back channel speaker(s) and not applying any DSP processing to the signal.

Back when EX capable receivers were first introduced, this was a big topic of discussion on several other forums.

Troy
    "I know you have a group of guys just sitting around thinking **** up, and another group of guys backing them up..." - Harry Stamper
  • sgtgto
    sgtgto Posts: 310
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Hi:

The pre-outs on the Denon, or any other receiver, are a pre-out variable signal pre amplified. All pre amp signals are just that. No problem feeding it into the line in, cd, or whatever, and connecting speakers to the main outs on the old receiver.

Gary