to dynamat or not to dynamat

beavis240
beavis240 Posts: 29
edited January 2007 in Car Audio & Electronics
that is the question.

is it really worth it to dynamat your whole car? or just the trunk? or what

i have a 2000 honda accord coupe EX. how much you think it would cost to do it?

oh and my setup is: MMC6500, MMC690, C400.4, MM12 in enclosure with C300.2 bridged, Knukoncept wires.

any input is greatly appreciated.
Post edited by beavis240 on

Comments

• howie777
    howie777 Posts: 357
    edited March 2005
    I had a 1998 Grand Prix that I installed 6x9s on the deck lid. The sound bounced around a lot and just sounded horrible. Luckily, CC had there version of dynamat 50% off. I put that on my door panels, deck lid, and throughout the truck. My problem went a way after that. It was a very noticable improvement in my opinion.

Howie
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2005
    Ideally, the more damping you use the better. Applying damping to the floor keeps out road noise which makes your system sound better.

Applying damping to your doors, dash and etc keeps vibration to a minimum which is always good.

It all depends on how much money and time your wanting to spend.

At the very least, dampen your doors where the speakers are installed and the door skins themselves.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2005
    damping around speakers and in the trunk solidifies the car, allowing more of the energy by the speakers to be heard as sound. damping a vibration, that's pretty obviously a good thing. damping anywhere else will help keep road noise out, allowing more of the music to be heard at a given volume.

to reiterate, more is better!
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2005
    Um...isnt that what I just said? :p
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PoweredByMAZDA!
    PoweredByMAZDA! Posts: 15
    edited March 2005
    I used alot of dynamat on both my focus and my mustang...it made a big difference..!
    2002 Ford Focus, Saleen Series 3 body kit, Eibach Racing suspension, ** Mazda RX7 13B ROTARY engine with Twin Turbo**. Converted to rear wheel drive. Dual Stainless Exhaust. 300+ HP. 17 Inch Gunmetal Excel Racing Rims, Toyo Tires & 4 Wheel 12 Inch Racing stainless steel Disc brake system.
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited March 2005
    I'm going to spend about 300 on dampening from secondskinaudio.com

i may just get V3 though for the trunk and just do damplifier in the doors. oooofun times. i hate dampening but it helps so much.

i most likely shouldn't hate dampening esp. with my beast of a sub.
    cats.vans.bag...
  • ManVsMachine
    ManVsMachine Posts: 3
    edited March 2005
    deaden as much as you feel necessary, but usually the only areas you really need to do are the trunk/doors... I don't really recommend dynamat anymore, it's expensive as hell and it's not like back in the day when it was the only option.

Get either SecondSkin damplifier or Elemental Design's eDead v1SE, wither one will give you equal or better performance for a much better price. I dunno if you're on any other forums, but both companies give discounts to sounddomain.com forum members, I just bought 30 ft^2 of edead yesterday for a little over $50 including shipping... try getting dynamat at that price...

Elemental Design
    SecondSkin
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2005
    theres lots of stuff out there now. i will be using all second skin in my truck. you might want to look up rammat, dynamat extreme and brown bead on ebay though.
    ED can suck my left nut. i will never consider or endorse any of their products. Plus, their liquid deadener is worthless anyway.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • neomagus00
    edited March 2005
    okay, we can ignore the eD comment, cody's a little bitter about a thread a long long time ago...

as far as all (unbiased) reports go that i've heard, it's decent stuff. i'm not as vehement as cody, but i still vote for secondskin.

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • ManVsMachine
    edited March 2005
    hey cody just wondering why you don't like ED, I was thinking of getting a 13Ov.2 cause I've heard a lot of good things about their product, but it seems you don't agree?

but definitely, spectrum is better than ED's liquid... edead v1SE = damplifier but < damplifier pro
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2005
    You won't find anyone on this forum who likes ED. There was a big argument on this forum where the owner of ED decided to put his .02cents in. Long story short, he's a dick and I will never support his products. But its not just this forum. Ben, the owner of ED, is a dick. Plain and simple. He's treated his friends like ****, he treats his customers like ****, his buiness ethics, or lack thereof, suck, and his products left more to be desired.
    Even if his products were fantastic, I will never support anyone who treats his customers, and moreso his "friends" the way he does.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2005
    In case youve got about 30 minutes to spare read this and youll get an idea why ED is a naughty word 'round here.

Either way, I agree with MvM. Dynamat is way to proud of their stuff these days. Tsunami Silencer is pretty good stuff and cheaper but as has already been pointed out, there is cheaper still.

• ManVsMachine
    edited March 2005
    ayo, not trying to thread hijack or anything, but I figured it's on the same topic... I'm using MM6's for my front soundstage right now, they're actually mounted directly to the inner skin metal of my doors as the mids were way too big for the stock baffles... I was gonna just mat the hell out my inner and outer door skins and run them IB as opposed to glassing new door panels... has anyone tried using mat to create a IB setup? I mean, they sound pretty good as it is now with just the outer skin matted, but I'm sure they could sound even better...
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2005
    the key to the IB setup is sealing off the rear wave from the front as much as possible. so, if your door is anything like mine, you're gonna need to fill each and every hole (big and small) in the panel to which the speaker is mounted. this effectively creates a huge sealed box behind the mid. note that dynamat is not fully sufficient to seal these holes.

perhaps a search for the thread 'filling holes' would be helpful.

• black magic
    black magic Posts: 669
    edited January 2007
    MacLeod wrote:
    In case youve got about 30 minutes to spare read this and youll get an idea why ED is a naughty word 'round here.

Either way, I agree with MvM. Dynamat is way to proud of their stuff these days. Tsunami Silencer is pretty good stuff and cheaper but as has already been pointed out, there is cheaper still.

who is the owner of ed in that thread? i skimmed through it really quickly, quite the heated argument i must say...
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited January 2007