I need some head...

spackelman
spackelman Posts: 31
edited March 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
I need some head unit advise.

Newbie here. Please don't laugh at me.

Not that much of a audiophile. Just want clean, crisp highs and some good bass.

Have a chevy 2002 crew cab. All stock sound, with a 1.5 din opening.

Want to install a new system. I prefer no amp and no subwoofer.

Head Unit I like is the pioneer premire 960 or pioneer 9600 or kenwood x979. I like the fold out panel.

Speakers front - polk components. speakers rear ??

I've been told to go with mb quart speakers. I like polks

Total system cost would like it to be kept under $900.

Would like to have a gm direct fit hu, but the choices are too limited.

I've seen a pic of one gm install - It showed 1.0 din hu, with a 0.5 din equalizer under the hu. Looked kinda cool and filled up the space.

I need all the advise I can get. Thanks in advance!
Post edited by spackelman on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2005
    youre willing to spend $900 but dont want an amp??
    thats kinda odd...
    any speakers that are going to be expensive ($100+) need to be amped...
    i can understand not wanting a sub but not wanting to amp speakers when youre willing to spend that much is kinda weird.
    the head unit with the equalizer under it was most likely custom.
    the premier 960 is a great head unit. look at electronicscity.com
    theyre the cheapest authorized dealers of pioneer i have found.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2005
    polk will do very well for your requirements. since you don't want an amp, you'll want the db series.

i am partial to the premier line of pioneer's head units, but between those two, it's personal preference and features. the advantage here of the pioneer is that the equalizer is much more extensive, and automatic (i'm not sure that the kenwood's is). but, why go with top of the line if you're not an audiophile? for what you seem to want, nearly any pioneer, kenwood, or alpine would fit the bill at a much lower cost. there are also gm fit HU's out there; you did mention them, but take a second look, for what you want, they're no worse than the top end stuff.

the extra space could be filled by the mounting kit, or an external equaliser, depending upon the HU's capabilities.

but yeah, why no amp?
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • spackelman
    edited March 2005
    OK OK - I need an amp. Which one?? Keep it small (the physical size of the unit).

The reason I like those hu's is for the the fold down control panel. It covers the 1.5 din space and simple looks cool.

I figured if I was going to sacrifice the amp, I should go with a top of the line hu.

I have only found (4) - 1.5 din hu. 2 by pioneer, 1 by jensen and 1 by pyle. Are there any others? They all seem a little out dated.

I do however like the look with the equalizer. Metra seems to make an install kit with an equalizer option or a storage pocket under the hu. This will work

Thank you for support feedback so far.

By the time I'm done, you guys will teach me a lot. Thanks
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2005
    You can get an adapter plate that will fit your GM and fill in the entire area and look OEM.

For an amp in this application normally we would recommend a Profile or other budget amp but Sounddomain.com has MTX Thunder amps on clearance right now and you can get this awesome Thunder282 for $110 which you wont be able to beat anywhere else.

For speakers, I say stick to fronts only. Better imaging and overall sound quality. MB Quart are great speakers but for the money you cant beat Polk Audio. And for speakers Id say go with these DB6750's for $200. However for a little more you could get these MMC6500's which will hold their own against most speakers on the market for $255.

For a head unit, it doesnt matter too much. Get a good Pioneer, Alpine, Sony or Kenwood and youll be fine. Look for 4 volt or higher preouts. Also look for a subwoofer preout in case you ever want to upgrade.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • spackelman
    edited March 2005
    Thanks for the advice.

looked at the amp, sounds like a plan. Like the fact it is made in usa.

If a get a top of the line hu and if I put a small equalizer under it, will this help the hu or hinder the hu, espescially if I add the amp.

I do have rear door speakers. I do what to change them. What polk's can I use.

Can I add simple mid range speaker and not screw up any performance of the "system"
  • neomagus00
    edited March 2005
    amp, good choice. if you get a TOTL HU, you won't need an external EQ, the included EQ will be much better (in pioneer's case, not necessarily kenwood's).

adding only the midrange to the rear is actually an excellent idea. if you choose the mm6 or (maybe, i'm not sure, someone confirm/deny) the mmc6500, the tweeters are very powerful, and an extra midrange will help a lot without muddying the detail too much. good idea! (IMHO) only problem is getting the midranges alone, polk charges a pretty penny for extras.

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • spackelman
    edited March 2005
    I do understand the equalizer is not needed.

I am only trying to fill up the space with the 1.5 din space.

A nice little unit, nice lites, more adjustments, just looks a little better - totally just for looks.

My main question, will this added equalizer screw up my TOTL hu.

Again, thanks for the input. I am learning.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2005
    You wont need to fill up that space. The installation kit you get for the head unit will take up the entire opening.

An EQ wont necessarily mess up your h/u's performance but you simply dont need it.

If you want rear speakers, just get a set of DB coaxials. Its not a bad thing to have rear speakers just not the optimum thing. If you haul around passengers and listen to music a lot then you may want rears.

Of course then youd be better off getting a 4 channel amp.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • spackelman
    edited March 2005
    2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD - Crew Cab

I ordered my stuff, this is the system:

Head unit: Pioneer DEH-960MP (Electronics City.com ($399.00)

Amp MTX Road Thunder RT404 (Car Domain.com $164.95)

Fr Speakers Polk MMC 6500 Componets (Car Domain $299.00)

Rr Speakers Polk db 675 (Car Domain $109.95)

Will this work??

I hope it all comes together as planned.
  • neomagus00
    edited March 2005
    ignore that one, it's a double