DB6500/DB525 hi-pass recommendation?

RonS
RonS Posts: 2
edited March 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hello,

I just installed a set of DB6500s in the front doors and a set of DB525s in the rear of my wife's ext-cab Tacoma. (Yes I will probably regret the 525s from a power/imaging perspective :) ) Power (for now) is coming from a new Alpine CDA-9833, which claims to have a legitimate MOSFET amp, and from the clean sound and power, I think they're being truthful. For right now, there is no sub, although I wil probably add a clarion SRV303 (or two) under her seats in the future.

The CDA-9833 has an extensive set of crossover/equalizer settings. I can choose independent front/rear crossover points.

My question for right now: does anyone have suggestions as to the point and slope for hi-pass crossover settings for the 6500s and 525s? I was thinking about using a 6db slope at Polk's specifications for the low frequency capabilities of each driver, i.e.:

DB6500: 6db @40Hz
DB525: 6db @60Hz

What do you think?

Bonus question: it used to be held as a common belief that oval drivers always add distortion to the soundfield as compared to round drivers. Is that still the case?

Thanks in advance!

--RonS
Post edited by RonS on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2005
    1- The power from your head unit is still gonna be around 10-15 watts. Doesnt matter what kind of fancy circuitry they have in there its still only the size of a head unit. For your wifes tastes, h/u power will probably be ok but if you or her do any critical listening, an amp is a must have.

2- For the 6.5's I wouldnt go any lower than 50 Hz and no lower than 60-70 for the 5.25's. They aint made to handle much lower than that. A 6 db slope sounds a little too shallow to me. I would prefer a 12 db myself but if youre not running a sub than a 6 may be in order. But if youre going with 6 then I would suggest x-ing them over a little higher than 50 Hz.

3- Personally I think the wives tale of oval speakers not sounding as good as round ones is a load of crap. I owned a set of Momo 6x9s and they were among the best sounding speakers Ive ever owned. And MB Quarts Reference 6x9 components are awesome.

I think the theory began cause 6x9s are usually OEM replacement speakers and until recently were usually cheaply made with the high end manufacturing being reserved for the components and hgih end coaxial round speakers. But nowadays with DLS, Focal, JL Audio and Polk making high quality 6x9s, you can rest assured they will sound great. And have more midbass as well.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • RonS
    RonS Posts: 2
    edited March 2005
    Hello again,

Well, I set out earlier to tune this system up. You'll be interedted to know that you recommendations were pretty good!

I was able to set the 6500s at 40Hz, but I had to go to 24 db. I set the 525s to 63 Hz and 24 db.

The 6500s seem to have a bright spot in the upper midrange that I wasn't totally able to kill with the Alpine's paramentric EQ, but in general these Polk's sound amazing. I suppressed the 525s by 3 db compared to the 6500s to keep from over driving them... bass punch is stunning! Really low bass guitar notes are a little muddy (could be the amp) but bass drums are extremely accurate.

The Alpine 9833 is quite a trooper, too. Volume levels reach the point "too loud" at right about the point that distortion sets in.

Thanks for your input!

RonS
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2005
    umm....i dont think the 6500s are even capable of 40Hz....
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited March 2005
    The muddy sound could be cause you have them x-ed over a little low. Try bringing it up a little and maybe with less of a slope. I've got mine x-ed over at 80. Granted right now the are the factory speakers in the front and rear, but only cause I didn't wanna go through the effort of installing my polks, again, only to get new speakers....this past friday. Even when I had my polks in, with and without rears, I had them x-ed over higher. Play around a little more, test them out, also let them break in a little. If you x them over a little higher with less of a slope, you should lose the muddy-ness. Also try gettin a small external amp.
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2005
    I wouldnt worry about the bright spot right now. My MM6's were very thin sounding when I first got them but apparantly they broke in over time and now they are much more filled out.

I wouldnt be suprised if your DB's did the same thing.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D