Anyone with experience with Clarion decks help!

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited March 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Help me. I've currently got an Eclipse 8443 head unit, which I love. I'm going to be getting rid of it because my sister needs a new hu and it doesn't play MP3's anyway, so I really want an MP3 player. I know there won't be a lot of decks out there that will compare the the Eclipse, but I was just wondering how the Clarion decks are? Specifically the touch screen one. I haven't found a local place to mess around with one but I've read a lot of reviews about them and have seen good things. It was between that the the Pioneer MP80 but the rotary knob controls everything and I hear it isn't as sturdy as it should be... anywho... anyone with info on the clarion I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Chris
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited March 2005
    My brother had a clarion HU in high school that was decent, but I haven't had any experience with them in the past 7 years or so. Have you considered an Alpine or Pioneer? Both are excellent and comparable models will be just as good as your Eclipse. I love my Alpine 9815 (this year's 9835) for the search function that makes finding and playing MP3's a dream!

Clarion's are still pretty good as far as I know, but generally, Alpine, Pioneer, and Eclipse seem to be regarded as the top brands before you get into the big money.
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited March 2005
    The rotary knob on the pioneer is awesome. Ive got the P8, the premier version. The menu navigation is easy, its not cluttered, gives you a list of all the songs, if there is text, such as MP3's, and you can scroll up and down the list with the knob, and press it to the right to open a folder, left to back out of it. Amazing hu...
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • C-Man
    C-Man Posts: 307
    edited March 2005
    Oh really? My friend told me that it's used so much and the faceplate sounds like it's cracking when you push it. But he bought his off ebay and he didn't know if it was a reputable seller. He may have gotten used or refurbed. Who knows.

But anyway, I absolutely love Pioneer decks, that's why I wanted it so bad... not to mention how good they look. But I really like the way the Clarion looks and from what I hear they are great HU's too. And I don't know anyone with one and unfortunately I'm the kinda guy who has to be different... lol.

Thanks for the info.
    "The Big C"
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited March 2005
    I was wanting the P80 when I first saw ti... then i got to tinker around with it at work and unfortunately I wasn't all impressed. The knob didn't feel solid enough and when I wanted to turn it... it always moved.

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • spwuinmk67
    edited March 2005
    I dunno, like I said, I have it, and love it. It doesn't seem weak at all. The only noise you hear when you push the knob, is that of pushing a button, and barely at that.
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

• swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited March 2005
    I like it and that's the one I push to customers looking to build a system but they always go with the cheap panasonic... if people would learn the HU is like the brain.

lol

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • C-Man
    edited March 2005
    The Pioneer was definately my first choice overall. But do we know about how the Clarion is? Like I said I like to get what people don't have... at least people I know... lol. I haven't had any experience with Clarion for about 5 years now. I had a Proaudio deck and liked the way it sounded and the ease of use...

Anyway, let me know if we've got some experience.

Thanks,
    Chris
    "The Big C"
  • spwuinmk67
    edited March 2005
    I've got no experience with Clarion, sorry. Just JVC and Pioneer. Played with a few Alpines and Panasonics, but thats about it.
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

• PoweredByMAZDA!
    PoweredByMAZDA! Posts: 15
    edited March 2005
    Clarion decks are no good, they dont play cdr's right....I bought one and I had to return it. So i got an alpine instead, it works much better.
    2002 Ford Focus, Saleen Series 3 body kit, Eibach Racing suspension, ** Mazda RX7 13B ROTARY engine with Twin Turbo**. Converted to rear wheel drive. Dual Stainless Exhaust. 300+ HP. 17 Inch Gunmetal Excel Racing Rims, Toyo Tires & 4 Wheel 12 Inch Racing stainless steel Disc brake system.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited March 2005
    Originally posted by PoweredByMAZDA!
    Clarion decks are no good, they dont play cdr's right....I bought one and I had to return it. So i got an alpine instead, it works much better.

How many Clarion head units have you owned aside from that single one that you had issues with?

If that was the ONLY one, how the hell can you sit here and tell us that your single poor experience is indicative of the entire Clarion line of recievers? This is an ****-ish post full of generalizations and general buffoonery.

I have had a great deal of experience with Clarion decks in the past and while they weren't necessarily the best out there, they were solid performers and offered alot of functionality for the money. They aren't my first choice but they are on my list of choices. My biggest gripe with them was that buttons were small and aesthetics were not very appealing to me.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2005
    Originally posted by Jstas
    buffoonery
    thats funny, i dont care who ya are
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2005
    Funny. About 10 years ago, Clarion was the shiznit. Now people tend to poo-poo them a lot.

I still dig em, I guess for nostalgia. They are on my short list of h/u's Id own.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • glemay
    glemay Posts: 574
    edited March 2005
    I've got a Clarion amp and it's a pretty good piece of gear. It's about 3 years old. Sound great and works the way it should. All in all a pretty good product.
    Main System:
    Denon AVR-2805, Polk Audio RTi70's, Polk Audio CSi40, Polk Audio FXi50, Paradigm PW-2200 v.2, Toshiba 42XV545U HDTV

Second System:
    Denon AVR-1705, Polk Audio R40, Polk Audio CS245i, Polk Audio R15, Paradigm PS-1200a
  • C-Man
    edited March 2005
    Well I guess I could give it one a shot. The one good thing about the touch screen deck is that there aren't a whole lot of buttons on it so the small button issue isn't much of an issue, and in my opinion it looks great... not too flashy but not ugly either. I don't know... we'll see what happens. Thanks guys.
    "The Big C"