South Jersey Half-**** AudioFest..........

George Grand
George Grand Posts: 12,258
...is officially HISTORY. I'd like to thank the following forum members and friends for making it a good time.

My wife, the former Theresa Talamonti, gave her all for the cause.

My daughter Stephie provided an able assist to my wife.

F1nut provided sterling adult supervision. Thanks Jesse.

Dorokusai handily assisted F1nut and also provided me with a nice pair of interconnects, a size large "Sprint" golf type shirt, and a nice keychain. He also took away large pairs of Klipsch and ADS speakers, provided me a little more floor space in my He-Man Rig room. Thanks a million Mark.

Ohskigod is a sleeper good guy. He doesn't post here enough. He also found out that the mayonnaise was in fact radioactive horse radish. I wasn't there for his first bite, but kind of wish I was. Sorry Lou, and thanks for the floor space you provided by hauling away B&W DM-550 monitors (which I tried to blow up right before his eyes, "Who touched that preamp volume control?") and a Technics turntable. Thanks Lou, PM me your mailing address, I found the owners manual for the turntable.

Amulford. I don't quite know where to start. Nice of you to drink everything put in front of you, in back of you, off to the side etc. Thanks for showing everybody your ****, they're very nice. I appreciate you adjusting the kitchen cabinets to my wife, the former Theresa Talamonti's satisfaction. I would have gotten around to it sooner or later myself, now I don't have to. MAYBE next time, when Stephie is a little older, I'll let you finish the sentence "I like my coffee like I like my wom....." without cutting you off in mid-sentence to remind you of her age. Maybe not. Thank you very much for the floor space where the NAD 1020A preamp, Marantz TT-625 turntable, and that third piece which slips my mind, used to reside. Got it, the Yamaha T-70 tuner.

Jstas for a fashionably late arrival with his father-in-law Randy, who is a really nice laid-back guy, and somewhat of a Zappa freak too. I like Randy a lot just for that, and for the floor space he provided by taking away the Pioneer SA-960 integrated amp/TX-1060 tuna. John thanks for the garage space also and for introducing us all to Randy.

My neighbor Ted Jackson, the 77 year old elder statesman, musicologist, and fine rum appreciator. The man just wants to party. You should've met him 17 years ago when I moved into the neighborhood. The party rarely stopped, and we recycled an awful lot of Ron Abuelo bottles together, the national rum of Panama. At least a million, maybe more. Everytime I went to Panama, I'd bring home 6, 1.75 liter bottles of it. 3 for him, 3 for me. Basically 6 for us. What a great guy.

Keith Hopson, the 108th Air Refueling Wing's NEWEST Aircraft Commander, babe hustler, and floor space provider. AR-18bxi loudspeakers.

Bob "Boris" Poole, the best navigator I ever met, Polk afficianado, and probably the best friend I have outside of Brooklyn for the last 28 years. We've crewed together for a long time, including through the first Gulf War, where we had to share the "kids" room in a Lockheed compound villa. The pilots got the master bedroom.You'd be hard pressed to find a smarter, or funnier guy. He's reserved around first time folks, but when he gets to know you, the laughs are non-stop.

DAMN I HAD A GOOD TIME, and will post the photographic evidence later on from home.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)
Post edited by George Grand on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,784
    edited March 2005
    I posted this under the TMS thread in the flea market, but see no reason not to post it again in this one.

I'd like to thank George and his lovely family for a very nice visit, the food was great and the company even better. I got to meet a few new faces from the forum and enjoyed that too. It was great to see Anthony again, hang in there bro, it will get better. Stephie, I hope I didn't get you in trouble and I can see your dad is going to find a lot of use for his baseball bat in the very near future....lol.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited March 2005
    The only thing missing from this gathering was someone not wearing pants.

I procrastinated getting up to see George, to aleviate some floor space, that he eventually had to throw down the gauntlet....which scared me into action immediately. I was even able to get Jesse out of bed before 12 noon!....now that didn't mean he had all his wits about him....but he was awake nonetheless.

Jesse(F1Nut) is my favorite traveling partner, friend and perfect for intellectual conversation....not that I know what he's talking about.

It was a pleasure to see the other members of the family, and talk "kitchen" with Mrs. Grand. Steph is going to be a man killer....good luck George.

I supervised Anthony in his cabinet adjustment work, and found his work to be above average. A+

Lou(Ohskigod) and John(Jstas), it was excellent to meet you two guys. Lou is a quiet guy, but once he actually saw all the stuff George had laying around....he was on a mission. Those B&W's are outstanding, enjoy them. John turned out to be a really cool guy....I only say that because I remember our first forum exchange to be a little hot, lol. That was ages ago, and he really knows quite a bit about audio....and not just new age audio, that's cool. Johns' Father-in-Law(EDIT), Randy, a very astute man in his own right, came down to hear the "Truth" and I think he was duly impressed.

Anthony, hell what can you say about a fellow drinking buddy? I wish we could have spent the night at George's, slamming Rum and listening to the many stories that would have surfaced later on in the day. Whenever you want to stop down here, for a change a pace and location...in other words....get away....drop me a line.

If there was a dead silent moment in this whole event, it was when Anthony turned up the volume on the AR rig....holy crap, I thought he was a goner for sure.

I also enjoyed walking around and finding Lou and Anthony undecided about whether they should buy a certain piece of gear, and saying "You should buy that..."

Not only were we able to meet and greet some Polkies, but we met some of George's local crew.

Keith, future all star drummer and current pilot was cool as a cucumber and is now on his way to audio insanity. He should really grab that Teac Integrated Amp that George has before I do, and get some good power on those AR's. Another stellar bookshelf.

Bob was also very nice to chat with, and is as old school as George when it comes to audio. It's funny how you miss certain things audio when they are gone eh? and I finally know who that "Onkyo" guy is!

Mr. Jackson, hardcore man, hardcore.

Finally, Mr. Grand....you are a man of such high standards and immpeccable taste that it's damn near humbling to be around you. I always enjoy talking to you on the phone, and can't wait to have you down to my home someday, so that I may show you the same grace that you have extended to me since day one. I'm honored to be in the "Family".
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited March 2005
    Yeah, I was there too.

First things first, Randy is my father-in-law, not an uncle or a stap-dad or anything like that, just my father-in-law.

Randy was floored by the hospitality he recieved and initially was not planning on hanging around as long as we did because he was not feeling well. However, he was so wrapped up and enthralled with the people who were there that we were the last to leave!

I had a plesant time visiting Casa De No Concerno and met a few new faces to put with old friends and even made a few new friends. I also got to meet the legendary Ted just like everyone else and that was treat in and of itself!

We didn't get to shoot the breeze too much with dorokusai and F1nut but it was a meeting long since over-due. It was pleasure to share thier company and I only wish it was warmer out so that they could have gotten a better demo of the trtuck without me shivering like an Ethiopian in Siberia. I had never met ohskigod before either and he is quite a mellow guy. Real cool and very plesant. Totally not like most of the people I know from North Jersey. That's a good thing too!

I don't have to comment on George or Anthony. George is just like he says every time, family. As far as Anthony goes, the man spent 14 hours wrenching on a truck in a garage with me installing stereo stuff. He's not allowed to call me anything less than a friend.

Keith is a cool cat and for some reason I felt a connection with him like I knew him before. He's a great guy, wide eyed and high on life for sure! Great guy to have around!

I don't think I had the chance to meet Bob. If I did, I apologize for forgetting so easily.

Overall though, it was great time as short as it was. My father in law is extremely greatful and I do believe that my mother-in-law is also greatful for the low-cost solution to his lack of stereo music reproduction gear. My own wife was also correct because again, I left Casa De No Concerno with more than I arrived with. I think she is starting to loathe the trips to Upper Southern NJ to bestow my prescence upon the Castle of Lesser Concerns!

BTW George, that "functionality impaired" piece of gear that found its way into my truck, got it up and running already and it's a diamond in the rough! Defintly worth looking for at yard sales and such. Even if it is a Sony!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,501
    edited March 2005
    I had a great time at my first audiofest, half assed or not. great hospitality was doled out by the entire Grand Family. the food spread was absolutly fantastic (even the horseradish would have been good, if i didnt slather it on my sandwich like it like i was spackling a wall).

I heard "the truth" and i dont think anyone would be surprised by me saying how impressed i was. Those AR9's kicked some tail too.

I followed George's advise of not listening to my new speakers (or anything) for 4 hours after hearing his (thanx george, it worked like a charm.) The B&W's sound surprisingly good on my 2 channel rig, despite the small size and big basement they are in right now.

I'll email you regarding the manual for the turntable

It was great to put some faces to the names, and real names to the internet callsigns. Amulford's coffee incident was only slightly uncomfortable, but friggin hilarious.

I learned from Jesse that Brookville Maryland is "not near anything" and that my SDA 2B's are "no slouch" it was a pleasure to meet you. same to Mark as well.

Bob was quiet, but real cool.

Its amazing that Keith is a pilot and an aircraft commander, and looks 10 years younger than i do!!

and i still can't believe Ted is actually 77

overall, i had a great time, and leaving with some sweet gear helped too. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Thanx again to George and the family.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • ohskigod
    edited March 2005
    sorry if i forgot anyone, i'm lucky i rememberred 80% of people's names :D
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited March 2005
    Pictures ???

It cool to place some faces to names, even if RusSMan will be F'g with them later. ;)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• George Grand
    edited March 2005
    He won't be **** with THIS image. I purposely had Stephie use the camera with not a lot of pixels, and from all the way across the room.

Left to right standing..

Ohskigod, Dorokusai, Ted Jackson, F1nut, Jstas, and Randy his F.i.L.

In front, me, Amulford, and Keith Hopson.

Bobby "Boris" Poole didn't make the image, vampires never do.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,019
    edited March 2005
    Your telling me that skinyn white guy with the goofy smile...is JsTas...

Some reason, I had a picture of this 7 foot, 300 pounds of muscle guy with a mustache... was I wrong or what?

Looks like a fun time!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • disneyjoe7
    edited March 2005
    Thanks George and your daughter who took the picture.

Looking like all had a great time, look forward to anything Doro maybe pulling off him self this spring / summer.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• George Grand
    edited March 2005
    Thanks for the nice words everybody.

John, you did not get to meet Bob, he was gone by the time you arrived. No doubt in my mind you had that piece working in no time at all. My pleasure.

Lou, you didn't forget anybody.

Mark, I'll wake Jesse up when I come down for the gathering at your place. Already told Theresa it's a MUST ATTEND for me. Unless of course, the job decides to ship me somewhere. I just may try and drag Mr. Jackson down with me. I forgot to mention, last week his wife Erna had her gall bladder removed. I called that night to see how she was doing. Ted advised me I was wrong, and that it was only gallstones she had removed. Then he called me back the next night to say, "George, you were right man! She had her whole damn gall bladder removed, not just some stone things." The guy is freakin' precious.

Jesse, I'm going to teach you how to drink coffee. I can't believe you don't already. It makes smokes taste like heaven, just like Goslings.

Later!

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2005
    Fireball John in a cowboys sweatshirt?

Looks like Ohskigod could give me some SERIOUS competition for the biggest head on the board.

George, are you standing up in that pic? I can't tell.

Talk about a motley crew, good on you guys.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited March 2005
    Sounds like a great time, and a great group of fellows there!

I just wish I was able to attend more of these gatherings and meet some more of the guys who have provided so much knowledge and entertainment over the years!

Thanks for the report and the photo!

Jason
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2005
    I neglected to add that John's Ford Lightning was very impressive, as well as the Polk/Soundstream install he helped Anthony with for his Ford F series....Ford muscle was certainly on the loose.

I can't believe they had the intestinal fortitude to tough out a 12+ hour, single event install....was there beer involved? if not, my hats off to you :)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • ohskigod
    edited March 2005
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN

Looks like Ohskigod could give me some SERIOUS competition for the biggest head on the board.

i've only seen pics, but i think i got ya beat.

only a face to face meeting, and a tape measure, will tell.
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,019
    edited March 2005
    Do a search for 'noggin' in the OT, everyone measured their noggin a year or so back
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2005
    Russman has no equal.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited March 2005
    Originally posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3
    Your telling me that skinyn white guy with the goofy smile...is JsTas...

Skinny? Goofy? Sorry kid, not nearly as skinny as you think, goofy maybe but at 5 foot 7 and 165 pounds, I'm not "skinny". I'm not necessarily a lard **** either.
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    Fireball John in a cowboys sweatshirt?

DAMN SKIPPY! I am decidedly NOT an Eagles fan and I delibrately wear my Cowboys paraphenalia to incite riots and general disdain where ever I go! Makes it more fun that way! One of my friends at work tells me I am a "displaced Texan" because of it. I think he's just nuts.

Originally posted by dorokusai
    YI can't believe they had the intestinal fortitude to tough out a 12+ hour, single event install....was there beer involved? if not, my hats off to you.

I did about 14 hours and Anthony was working for about 2-3 hours before I got to his place. Beer was not involved although he did treat me and my wife to dinner at the Swedesboro Inn I think it was. That was a good dinner and I had a great time hanging out even if we were doing back-breaking labor! I shoulda known he would have popped his speakers already! Takes some talent to blow up speakers that quickly!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • George Grand
    edited March 2005
    Last time I saw a picture of a group of people that looked like this, was when I was in high school. It was a motivational poster to keep kids from dropping out.

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited March 2005
    Looks like one Grand of a time; however, I see not 1 beer/wine or booze anywhere in the pic. ... WTF is that :p

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • disneyjoe7
    edited March 2005
    Well at least in that picture Jesse doesn't look like he playing pocket pool with himself. ;)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• George Grand
    edited March 2005
    Sunday afternoon affair Henry. Beer and SOME fine rum was provided, but almost all realized it was an afternoon affair with no sleepovers, and a long drive home.

Call me a weak dick if you want, but if I'm hosting, I want very little part of some poor innocent getting t-boned by one of my guests. Stephie is going to be out on the roads soon, and I'd hate to get that kind of phone call myself.

Those that don't realize that, don't get repeat invites to my home. Just the way it is.

• amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited March 2005
    Hey, I'm sorry for Taking so long to get to this. What a GREAT TIME!!! Thanks guys, I needed it.

As always, it's good to put names to faces. And to meet new people.

First to the Hostesses, without whose elegant and gracious hospitality this would not have been possible, I'd like to thank from the bottom of my heart.

For the former Ms. Theresa Talamonti, Thank you for the EXCELLENT food. I very much enjoyed the brown bag lunch you made for the RIDE (I was so stuffed, I had to wait a day) I will arrange some time to come back up to finish out the details in the kitchen, but please be patient.

Stephie, you make coffee just the way I like it (sweet and white, like I like my women...). You are a truly gracious hostess.

Lou (Ohskigod), it was a pleasure to meet you. It's nice to put faces to the names. It was also relieving to hear someone in your line of work to agree (somewhat) about the tax situation.

Doro, WTF??? You have to conserve, bro!!! Hair of the dog would've set you right! I will be getting those reviews up shortly. I promise. BTW - I'm THERE, just let me know when. I'll be glad to come down and corrupt your morals.

Jesse, it was a pleasure to see you again, man. Thank you for the words of encouragement, I could use some. I wanna see the shop and meet the cat.. I'll be in touch.

John, I'll get it straightened out. (I still say it shorted, but I can't prove it. I WAS puttin' some power to 'em when it happened) When I do, I'll let ya know and maybe we can get together for dinner again. This time I know this decent Italian place.

Randy, it was very nice to meet you. That vintage rig will be so cool. Please let us know how it turns out.

Mr. Jackson, Truly a pleasure. I always try to soak the wisdom men like you have to offer.

Aircraft Commander Hopson, enjoy those AR 18's. I have a feeling you will.

Bob, Please LET ME KNOW if you come across any more of those Onkyo deals and you want to unload something....

And last but certainly not least, to the host, the venerable Mr. George Grand:

1) I was trying to show my new tatoo, it just so happened my other breast was exposed. Wait till I get another one and wanna show it (it has to do with a $100 bill)

2) I always describe my coffee like that. Nothin meant by it, I'll remember to use a different phrase ( how 'bout sweet and white like I like my men???)

3) That Ron Abuelo was asking for it. At least I left you some. The keg at Troy's didn't even have a chance. Hey, if it ain't nailed down and running, it's fair game....

4) I promise next time to maintain at least ten linear feet of distance between myself and any volume knobs. Since my reach is only 64", that should be sufficient to stop me from physically touching the, but I must warn you that I've been practicing and excercising my telekinetic powers.

5) A Yammy tuner. I'll have that rig set up soon, I'll let you know how it works out.

6) Thank you, my friend. It was nice to be able to see you and the family again. I hope that time will be short before I am priveledged again.

BTW - Russ, he might have you in physical size, but it's the relative scale, pudknocker. He ain't got **** on you, melonboy....
  • George Grand
    edited March 2005
    Mr. Grand will work out the details in his own kitchen. Thank you for your generous offer.

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited March 2005
    Originally posted by George Grand
    Sunday afternoon affair Henry. Beer and SOME fine rum was provided, but almost all realized it was an afternoon affair with no sleepovers, and a long drive home.

Call me a weak dick if you want, but if I'm hosting, I want very little part of some poor innocent getting t-boned by one of my guests. Stephie is going to be out on the roads soon, and I'd hate to get that kind of phone call myself.

Those that don't realize that, don't get repeat invites to my home. Just the way it is.

Then I guess I would get invited back... I'm not to fond of drunk driving either.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • George Grand
    edited March 2005
    I'm certain you would be invited to my home a number of times if you were able to make the trip Henry. If you only lived closer friend.

George
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited March 2005
    Nice gathering, George. Had I had the pleasure, Ted and I would have made stunning vintage bookends for you group of pups in the yearbook photo.
  • George Grand
    edited March 2005
    I'm sure you gentlemen would have done just that.

More vintage than Mr. Jackson? He's a 1928 model.

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited March 2005
    What is that purple haze in the upper left?

Judging the look on Doro's face, and grin Ohskigod is sporting, I think I know the source.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited March 2005
    Originally posted by hoosier21
    What is that purple haze in the upper left?

The ceramic snack boat on the coffee table seems to be the root of the phenomena. HOWEVER, George's telescope seems to be fixed in that direction. This MEANS something!

George: Mr. Jackson is several years my senior. I only hope to look as healthy and happy when I get there. A man from Independence was President when my bottle was corked.
  • George Grand
    edited March 2005
    Senior to me, but junior to Tedwick is what you are.

There were any number of items that could've contributed to gastrointestinal delight.

Me? All I need to do is wake up and I'm fully pressurized. Wake up and have a single molecule of citrus and it is hell on earth.