Didja happen to see this thing?

Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,804
edited March 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products/subwoofers/jackHammer.cfm

That's an MTX JackHammer. Check out the power handling! Yes, that says TEN THOUSAND WATTS!
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
Post edited by Jstas on

Comments

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited March 2005
    I suddenly like MTX now!
  • spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited March 2005
    HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!!!
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2005
    bah... a mere 5000 watts... the brahma 10" has that kind of linear excursion... and the tinsel leads are only 6 AWG bigger than my speaker wire, no biggie... and i mean, come on, who wants a 22" sub in their car? the same person that doesn't like their ears or their trunk lid, that's who...

i've seen better...

:D
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2005
    Yup! Ive been saying for years. MTX is the ****! :D

Theyve been hanging in the background for more than a few years now, even tho their amps and subs are excellent products (cant say the same for their speakers tho) and as good as anything out there, they have always been considered a "Circuit City" brand. Maybe now that theyre coming out with over the top stuff like this maybe theyll get noticed more and get a little more respect.

I guarantee ya itll handle a lot more than 5000 RMS too. My little Thunder6000 is a 150 watt sub and its been getting over 350 for about 6 months now and hasnt so much as whimpered. And Ive tried to blow it on more than a few occasions as its soon to be replaced and it simply wont die!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Jstas
    edited March 2005
    Another picture for an idea of how large it is.

subT9922_JackHammer_800.jpg

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2005
    I saw it in person at CES.
  • Jstas
    edited March 2005
    By the way, That is a basket ball.

The speaker stands 23 inches tall just the way it is in that picture plus it is about 24 inches wide with a 22 inch driver.

That would need a box around 4 feet long, 3 feet wide and 3 feet high with excessive internal bracing to support it's porkish 320 pound carcass.

• bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited March 2005
    Makes up for those fugly amps coming out.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited March 2005
    I don't think that picture is accurate. If the sub is 22", then the basketball would be much taller in comparison, unless that is a mini-basketball. A basketball is what, around a foot tall? It should be just over half the height of the sub, but it's only like 1/4. By the shadows, you can tell that they were photoshopped together.
    -Austin
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • Jstas
    edited March 2005
    I dunno. Maybe the hight measurement means the heigh of the driver when it is mounted i.e.: the diameter of the mounting ring? If the driver is 22 inches wide, that basketball is to scale.

You can't really tell me that they have both been photoshopped in. It looks more like the background was airbrushed out and shading added to keep it from looking like clip art.

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2005
    ive seen pics of it before from CES. massive
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2005
    Originally posted by bknauss
    Makes up for those fugly amps coming out.

Ya know, when I first saw those new amps I thought they looked pretty cool. But the more I look at them the more I dont like em.

The old Thunder amps looked kind of wimpy as well. Why cant they make a badass looking amp? Walk over to the Xtant offices and steal some designs already!
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2005
    Yes it's a 22" cone.
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited March 2005
    Originally posted by Josh
    Yes it's a 22" cone.

Go play your internet games!
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited March 2005
    Originally posted by Jstas
    By the way, That is a basket ball.
    You could have fooled me! I thought it was a hockey puck at first...

-adam most
    cats.vans.bag...
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited March 2005
    Originally posted by swerve

-adam most

:D:D:D
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited March 2005
    Basketball, hockey puck, 22" subwoofer... it doesn't matter I could dunk them all. That means:
    Adam >> All you speaker nerds!

-adam most
    cats.vans.bag...
  • Jstas
    edited March 2005

-adam most

Don't make me stomp you.

• exalted512
    edited March 2005
    Don't make me stomp you.
    you wont do it!:D
    -Cody
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited March 2005
    Say what you will but you will never get quality sound out of a 22" driver. I'm sure it sounds good for what it is (a big waste of designing seeing they'll sell all of 10) but I'll pass. Retarded!!!
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • Jstas
    edited March 2005
    It's not made for sound quality, it's make for FREAKIN LOUD!

How many people are going to pontificate about how terrible they think it will sound before they get the simple fact that this is not a sub for everyday use. This is a competition level sub meant to win competitions and bragging rights, that's it. That's all it is, a noise maker and it'll do it well what with a 5,000 watt continous power capability.

• exalted512
    edited March 2005
    It's not made for sound quality, it's make for FREAKIN LOUD!

How many people are going to pontificate about how terrible they think it will sound before they get the simple fact that this is not a sub for everyday use. This is a competition level sub meant to win competitions and bragging rights, that's it. That's all it is, a noise maker and it'll do it well what with a 5,000 watt continous power capability.
    exactly, not all subs are made for sound quality.
    -Cody
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited March 2005
    Basketball, hockey puck, 22" subwoofer... it doesn't matter I could dunk them all.
    Liar!!! I'd like to see you fit that sub through a basketball hoop! :)
    -Austin
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,529
    edited March 2005
    Wonders...

2.5" one way, linear...

Does this mean it can move 5" both ways...linear??
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • exalted512
    edited March 2005
    yes
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2005
    Originally posted by Toxis
    Say what you will but you will never get quality sound out of a 22" driver. I'm sure it sounds good for what it is (a big waste of designing seeing they'll sell all of 10) but I'll pass. Retarded!!!

Thats like saying,"Say what you will but a Dodge Viper will never get 35 miles per gallon. Im sure its fast for what it is (a big waste of designing seeing as theyll sell all of 10) but Ill pass".

:D

Jstas is right. This thing aint meant to sweep the IASCA SQ finals this year. Its made to bring some (well deserved) attention to MTX and to be louder than hell!

Ill never own one, Ill never own a Viper either cause neither one of them are practical but theyre both pretty cool.

• exalted512
    edited March 2005
    you forgot the "Retarded!!!"
    gahd!(napolean dynamite voice)
    -Cody
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited March 2005
    just get a sub with xbl2 and you will be all set. i am running 4 18 and in my car 1 15