halvard
halvard Posts: 16
edited March 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
HI...

I just bought myself my first system.

2x MM2104 subs
2x MMC690 speak.
2x mtx thunder amps (421d & 342)

and i wonder what kind of wireing should i use???

i was looking at the stinger SWCKH44 wire kit??
should i buy kits ore not?? i am very confused here..

thanx..
Post edited by halvard on

Comments

• mbdyer12
    mbdyer12 Posts: 220
    edited March 2005
    I'm too lazy to look up the specs on that to give exact reccomendations but I'd say go with knukonceptz stuff.

www.knukonceptz.com has some great wire. You'd probaby want to go with their 4 ga wiring kit, a couple pairs of their karma kable rca's (6m) and their twisted speaker cable.

This is all a suggestion though. I'm sure others will chime in with their choices. I'm just a supporter of their cable since its so pretty :D ...err, cause its such good quality.
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2005
    i couldn't find that exact model, but it should provide you with the right gauge - 4 for power and ground. if i'm not mistaken, it has a cap, too, which is good. i think you'll be fine. perhaps you'll have to get some extra speaker wire, cause it should have everything else - interconnects, remote turn on, and terminals. stinger even gives you wire ties.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • halvard
    edited March 2005
    well to give you the specs:

the subs: 2x 300w (600w peak)
    the speak: 2x 100w (300w peak)
    the amps: 421D for the subs 420w mono
    342 for the speak 2x85w rms

there you have it..

but i am not a cheap guy, and i know that wiers is very important for the sound. So I can use up to 200+ in that area.

thanx for the answers.

:)
  • neomagus00
    edited March 2005
    hum... you need 4 gauge power and ground, a distribution block, terminals, interconnects, speaker wire, and remote turn on lead. and i say you get a cap, but that's up to you.

i think stinger overdoes it a bit on their kits, but i love the product. now, for power, ground, and speaker wires, the only thing that matters is ease of use. buy something that feels good to work with... this tends to mean that it's a high strand count and is well insulated, thus making it durable. so, don't necessarily go stinger, just get whatever your local shop has. remote turn on lead is this tiny little wire, should be like a dime a foot.

for interconnects, buy the best you can afford. i have stinger's expert series, and that cost $100 for the front speakers only. i'd say you could use the level just below expert, namely the dream series, for the front speakers, and the same or one of the ones below that (bullet or helix) for the sub amp.

all that's left is your termination. i would reccommend stinger's battery terminals, which is probably unusual, because clamping a 4 gauge wire onto an already crowded battery seems unnecessary to me. get whatever terminals you want, just make sure they take everything that nees to go in em :). the series doesn't matter, they're a freakin hunk of metal. same goes for the distribution block... as long as it has three 4-gauge holes in it, it's a piece of metal, no need to pay for the 'better' lines.

oh, yeah, you'll need a fuse and fuse holder to place no further from the battery than 18". get a rating that is the sum of the fuse ratings of your amps (eg if your amps have a total of 3 25 amp fuses, get a (25 + 25 + 25 = ) 75 amp fuse. or, if you can't find that rating, get the closest one you can find above it. same thing, should be a couple bucks at your local shop.

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2005
    Excellent choice on gear.

I would say you should go with 4 guage from the battery to the distro block then 8 guage from there to each amp. Then 8 guage for ground.

For RCA's get the most expensive pair you can afford. My personal preference is Streetwires Zero Noise.

For Power wire Knuconceptz is a good one but really, power wire is power wire for the most part. As long as its a name brand you wont have any problems.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • halvard
    edited March 2005
    hi there.. thanx for some GREATE advise.

Streetwires Zero Noise ZN5 RCA Interconnects is this a nice wire???

im thinking of buy this kit though:
    Stinger amp kit
    is this good?
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2005
    ZN5's are freakin awesome. if you know where to get them in a 16' lenght youve got to tell me!!
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • neomagus00
    edited March 2005
    that kit should work well. note that it comes with interconnects, which should be fine for the sub amp, but the zn5 is an excellent choice for the main amp.