Subs and Stuff!

Options
sabbeth
sabbeth Posts: 1
edited March 2002 in Technical/Setup
:confused: I just bought a PSW250 for my home theater. My receiver has only one sub out, but the sub itself has two. I was told but some people that I should buy a "Y" adapter so as to use both connections on the back of the sub, was told I would get a better sound this way, so is this true?
:confused: When I bought this sub, the salesman told me that I should always have all my speakers set to small ( F-S, R-S, C-S ). Is there some reason for this setup that you know of? I don't want to tell you the kinds of equiptment that I am using because it is a little embarrasing, i'm just beginnning to set up my system, and from what i've read in these posts, I haven't got the best of speakers as of yet, but i'm working on it. I'm not a rich man, but if somewone knows of a good set of fronts ( towers ) that I could buy that will sound good, and not cost me too much money, then please let me know ( Canada ).
:) Thanks for your time in responding to these questions, I really do appreciate it!!!
Play it LOUD!!!
Cheers...sabbeth
Post edited by sabbeth on

Comments

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I would probably get a Y adapter. I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but that's what I use. Most better sub cables come with one.

You don't have to always set anything to small. It depends on your speakers. If your fronts are large enough and can handle the bass (30hz or so), set them to large.

Don't sweat the system. Just enjoy it. And of course dedicate every waking minute and available penny to better it like most of us do.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • sgtgto
    sgtgto Posts: 310
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Hi:

The dual rca input on the sub is for the dual voice coil. Use a Y adapter from your receiver.

Enjoy what you have, unless you have had to do with less, you will not appreciate more. Did I really think of that?

Gary
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Wow even I was impressed with that last post.:)

It reminded me of those "Jack Handy" skits on SNL.....what was it "Deep Thoughts"?
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited March 2002
    Options
    my HSU vtf-2's manual recommends using a 'y' adapter because the signal strength is stronger when using the adapter which will help keep the subwoofer from going into standby mode. i believe your 250 has this same 'auto' on/off mode as the HSU. setting all speakers to small will route the bass singal (anything below 80hrz) to your subwoofer, aiding in better bass management. personally, i would play around with your settings, and see what sounds better to you. i use to set my 800i's to large, but now that i am running dual HSU's, i prefer them set to small. it's mostly a preference thing, not a set-rule. i love my rt800i's and would reccomend them highly! don't know what you are looking to spend, but these can be had for around $600, or even less right now. no need to be embarrased of what you own, at least you are on your start of an endless quest fo 'better' sound... :D enjoy what you have, and when or if you want to spend more, go for it!!!. ;)

welcome to the forum...:D