TOO bright

bam88
bam88 Posts: 82
edited March 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Ive just had my mmc6500 installled and the tweets are toooo bright... tips please
Post edited by bam88 on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2005
    The mobile audio gurus here will want a little more info cochise.

What car, and what location are they installed in?

Who did the install?

What Head unit?

What Cables and Wiring?

What Amp?

Current settings on head unit / amp, ie high/low pass?

Any modifications to the standard install, ie bass blockers or location?

Did you demo these speakers ahead of time, and like what you heard?

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited February 2005
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    The mobile audio gurus here will want a little more info cochise.

What car, and what location are they installed in?

Who did the install?

What Head unit?

What Cables and Wiring?

What Amp?

Current settings on head unit / amp, ie high/low pass?

Any modifications to the standard install, ie bass blockers or location?

Did you demo these speakers ahead of time, and like what you heard?

Cheers,
    Rooster

Nah, this one is easy. The asshat that did the install probably set the crossover on the +0 dB octave slope setting.

I just installed a set in amulford's truck, set the crossovers straight up at 0 dB slope and they sound flat out purty! Probably only get better with age too! Very detailed sound. They aren't bright unless they are pointing right at your face and less than 6 inches from your head. They were vivid and had a hell of a dynamic range for a tweeter. I rather liked them.

Maybe bam88 should read his Owner's manual because in there, on page 12, it will describe how to set up the crossover slope switches for your listening pleasure.

RTFM, what a beautiful concept! Read it, know it, LOVE IT!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2005
    My side of the fence was dead earlier, so I wandered over. RTFM, LOVE that.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2005
    i think this is the first time the CA side has been a lot busier than the HT side....
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited February 2005
    Originally posted by exalted512
    i think this is the first time the CA side has been a lot busier than the HT side....
    -Cody
    You know what that means right?

People are starting to live in their cars because rent is too expensive....
    cats.vans.bag...
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited February 2005
    Originally posted by exalted512
    -Cody
    I wouldn't say that. HT is broke up into 52240 different forums where car is in 3. So your few forums get bogged down but ours are all spread out.
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • bam88
    bam88 Posts: 82
    edited February 2005
    I have them installed in the mirror sail and for some reason it is very hard to get them pointed towards the back they are pointed at an angle. I have a Kenwood kdc-mp728 the amp is a hifonics nx-880 4 channel amp bout 100 wats perchanel.
    I have a Dodge ram quadcab 2k4.

I read the owners manual and decided just this morning to go out and check the settings on the head unit first. Sounds much better. :cool:

Not sure what the xover is set on gonna check that later.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2005
    My MM6's are installed in the sail panels on my 02 Ram. I have mine aimed at the opposing head rest so they criss cross.

As far as being bright, they may just need to break in a bit on top of you needing to tweak them some.

Mine sounded kinda crappy when I first installed them. I tweaked on them forever and got them sounded pretty good but they were still a little thin to me. But after a time they started filling out and now they sound awesome. Maybe the mid just needs some break in time. I dunno. Subs need to break in, why not mids?

Also, do turn the attenuator on the x-over to -6 db. It will sound better.

Other than that, just keep tweaking and tuning and eventually youll nail it.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited February 2005
    Originally posted by swerve
    You know what that means right?

People are starting to live in their cars because rent is too expensive....

More like people are spending a lot more time commuting these days...
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited February 2005
    Originally posted by bknauss
    More like people are spending a lot more time commuting these days...
    I really hope you didn't think I'm serious.

I spend about 3-4 hours in my car each day
    lol

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited February 2005
    on the tweeter, it's a lot of personal preference... i have mine in the dash, aimed at the windshield, which isn't the best location, but they're at -6 on the xover and another -1 on all bands 3.5 kHz and up on the HU. just mess with it, see how you like it.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2005
    Huh?

I thought you had yours mounted coaxial?
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    edited February 2005
    yeah, i did, then i changed em back - they stuck out a little, but more importantly, i got a new hu :) with time alignment, i could center the image properly and still have a soundstage with decent height

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2005
    I guess Im gonna have to give in and get some TA. My stage is SO screwed up!

Its nice and high but the imaging is terrible. Ill do well in the amatuer ranks but once/if I ever graduate to stock, Im gonna get my **** kicked!

• neomagus00
    edited February 2005
    yeah, it's crazy how much of a difference it makes... one rec... if you get a pioneer one, don't let it do the auto TA (well, it'll do it automagically at the same time as the eq, but then you can turn it off) cause it'll mess with the volume levels of your speakers. i found it much better-sounding when i just bumped up the distance of my right speaker until it was centered properly.

and, man, i wish i could compete... but, with no subs, i think a snowball in hell would have a better chance of making it than me :). see, i have this disease where i have to have something that will still be better than everyone else's five or six years from now, not just now... this disease makes many purchases very expensive...

• MacLeod
    edited February 2005
    I know the feeling.

The org Im wanting to compete in doesnt allow TA, at least in the amatuer ranks where Ill be so I wouldnt be able to use it anyway.

I would still like to get it one day just to see how it did.

• AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited February 2005
    Originally posted by neomagus00
    and, man, i wish i could compete... but, with no subs, i think a snowball in hell would have a better chance of making it than me :). see, i have this disease where i have to have something that will still be better than everyone else's five or six years from now, not just now... this disease makes many purchases very expensive...
    Holy crap, Ditto! Somone understands me! :D
    -Austin
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2005
    Originally posted by AustinKP
    Holy crap, Ditto! Somone understands me! :D
    -Austin
    same here...but you cant tell by looking at my sound system...i mean honestly...RF amps...
    *doh!*
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2005
    Yeah but theyre Power series amps. Those are damn solid amps. Nothing to be ashamed of at all my brother.