MMC650's

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited February 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey Polk People!!!

I just recently purchased a pair of the mmc650s and i was curious on how difficult the install would be. I saw the EZ fit on the fit guide, but i just went to my car and that bad boy does NOT fit EZ... lol.

YOu have to take out the stock bracket, rip off the door panel and drill new mounting holes in the doors frame for them to mount... atleast i think O_o....

If anyone has had any expierence with the 650's and have any tips on a good deck, or amp/sub setup to compliment them please let me know ^^.

Before you all say, "hey you work at Circuit City shouldnt you KNOW this stuff..." i dont work in car audio, i sell big screen TV's. O_O

-OxYGeN
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2005
    Yes the Carbon line of speakers do tend to be quite large. However you should be able to make em work with a little elbow grease. You forgot to mention what kind of car youre installing them in. Let us know and we could maybe help you out more.

Dont be afraid to cut a little around the speaker hole if need be. Just trim very small amounts til it fits. You can always cut more, you cant put any back on.

You may need an adapter plate. You can usually buy these from a shop for about $20 but you could build them for next to nothing. Just find ya a piece of 1/4" wood and cut out what you need.

As far as head units go, Im partial to Alpine myself but Pioneer also has awesome units. It depends on how much you want to spend really.

For amps, look for something in the 75-100 watts per channel range. This MTX would be a perfect match.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Systems
    edited February 2005
    I decided to have myroadshop crew at CircuitCity slap the system in my car for me. Its a 1992 Civic LX.

I got this head unit

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Panasonic-In-Dash-CD-Player-CQ-C5110U-/sem/rpsm/oid/87531/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

and its absolutely fantastic.

Just the MM650's w/o a woofer or an amp sound superb.

Now im looking on the polk accomodations site for a good woofer and or amp combonation. Any suggestions?

Keep in mind its a civic coupe, not a hatch so i dont have tons of trunk space ^^.

- OxYGeN
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • duane26
    duane26 Posts: 15
    edited February 2005
    I have a 00' civic with a trunk and i put a MM2124 in a Q-Logic QLH-.8512SE and damn it's nice. I am still breaking her in but so far I'm impressed. After my complete install I have to say wow, and I havn't yet let my sub go all the way. Polk is all about sound quality vs. just loudness. Being a HUGE Dave Matthews fan I really appreciate just beautifull accurate sound. With mac's amp recommendation I would go with the 10 inch momo. Having a Mtx 684 hooked up myself, you could probobly even get away with the 2124. And with a sealed box, a must for this sub, either will fit snug in your trunk!
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2005
    I would stick with all Polk especially since you can get great deals on em.

Get a MM2104DVC for the sub. I always like 10's for stict SQ purposes myself.

Then get the C500.1 to push it.

For the comps, you could get the 300.2 but for the optimum tuning flexibility, you should get the 400.4 and bi-amp the comps. Front channels running the tweeters and rear channels running the mids.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Aussie_Austin
    Aussie_Austin Posts: 14
    edited February 2005
    go with the rockfords
  • mbdyer12
    mbdyer12 Posts: 220
    edited February 2005
    I'd reccomend the mm2124 as well. I threw one of these in a friend's car w/ a cheapie Profile amp (great amp for a real low budget). A decent bump in the trunk since ya get a discount on polk stuff.
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • Systems
    edited February 2005
    Well its not just polk i get a discount on... i also get discounts on infinity as well.

As for the sub woofers, i was looking on infinity's website and i think im going to go with this

http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/product.aspx?ProdId='KAPPA+PERFECT10DVQ'&Ser=KPE&Cat=SUB

and have it powered by this amp

http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/product.aspx?ProdId='REF610A'&Ser=REF&Cat=AMP

If polk makes anything like this around the same price or lower let me know, b/c id rather keep it all polk if i can. I dont want anyone brand bashing.. polk and infinity are both great companies.. im just trying to get he best of everything i can.

- OxYGeN
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2005
    The Polk amp will probably be miore expensivve but it is a much better amp. I highly recommend going with the Polk amp over the Infinity.

Same with the subs. Infinity does make a good sub but I still like the Momo's better.