Show me your ****(embly), and let me get in your guts baby!

Comments

• SCompRacerSCompRacer Posts: 7,152
    edited November 2011
    Not sure if I posted this before; did a search and nothing popped. One of Ed's (ESavinon) SRT controllers. Shot years ago when he stopped here on the way back from one of his famous cross country acquisition road trips.:cheesygrin:

control_3.jpg

control_4.jpg
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ & Pro 11+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS* Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *

• indyhawgindyhawg Posts: 1,274
    edited November 2011
    My 5 watt DIY restored tube amp.

Copy of DSCN3684.jpg

Copy of DSCN3691.jpg
    edited November 2011
    edited November 2011
  • EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 16,775
    edited November 2011
    Dang Jeff, that Pio is NICE!!!!!!!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
    edited November 2011
    Dang Jeff, that Pio is NICE!!!!!!!

Yeah, it was a nice unit. I sold it about a year ago after I got the NAD amp.
  • Rick88Rick88 Posts: 13,088
    edited August 2012
    I am so impressed with my recent Onkyo A-5VL integrated amp purchase that I bought a second one to use in my bedroom. I even felt compelled enough to write a review on Amazon (which I never do). Today I took the lid off to take some photos of it.

Attachment not found.
    "Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music." ~ Ronald Reagan

“I love songs about horses, railroads, land, Judgment Day, family, hard times, whiskey, courtship, marriage, adultery, separation, murder, war, prison, rambling, damnation, home, salvation, death, pride, humor, piety, rebellion, patriotism, larceny, determination, tragedy, rowdiness, heartbreak and love. And Mother. And God.” ~ Johnny Cash

edited August 2012
    Dual mono design with two transformers:

Attachment not found.

“I love songs about horses, railroads, land, Judgment Day, family, hard times, whiskey, courtship, marriage, adultery, separation, murder, war, prison, rambling, damnation, home, salvation, death, pride, humor, piety, rebellion, patriotism, larceny, determination, tragedy, rowdiness, heartbreak and love. And Mother. And God.” ~ Johnny Cash

edited August 2012
    (4) 10,000 uF caps, 2 per channel:

Attachment not found.

edited August 2012
    Two high quality Burr-Brown PCM1796 DAC's:

Attachment not found.

• ConradiclesConradicles Posts: 5,853
    edited August 2012
    Thanks Rick for the pics. This thread is too cool!!!
    edited August 2012
    Thanks Rick for the pics. This thread is too cool!!!

Agreed, it is very cool!! And audio **** is almost as good as a photo of a beautiful woman...lol...........

• lanchilelanchile Posts: 566
    edited August 2012
    Make it simple...Make it better!
    edited August 2012
    lanchile wrote: »
    This is my diy passive integrated amp!

Looks pretty cool!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
    edited August 2012
    Looks pretty cool!

+1 :loneranger:

edited August 2012
    Thanks guys! so far I have spent around $600 in parts. My last update was the potentiometer, now it has a TDK. I know with that kind of money I could buy a nice commercial amp, but this diy amp kicked my Bryston's B60 butts that is over $2k and beside it is unique lol!!! it is a small passive integrated amp 2 1/2 H X 8 W X 12 D. The amp kits are the M400 take a look the specifications:http://hdamp.com/M400.html
    edited August 2012
    Thanks guys! so far I have spent around $600 in parts. My last update was the potentiometer, now it has a TDK. I know with that kind of money I could buy a nice commercial amp, but this diy amp kicked my Bryston's B60 butts that is over $2k and beside it is unique lol!!! it is a small passive integrated amp 2 1/2 H X 8 W X 12 D. The amp kits are the M400 take a look the specifications:http://hdamp.com/M400.html

Pretty cool but I dont have the skills to assemble such a kit. Thats why I come here :smile:.... to make those kinds of connections :redface:
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 21,148
    edited August 2012
    Awesome work! DIY is a blast, and I cannot wait to take on my next project. Thinking I might go for a preamp next time.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
    edited August 2012
    Awesome work! DIY is a blast, and I cannot wait to take on my next project. Thinking I might go for a preamp next time.

There's a shocker lol.... :wink:.. what ever happened to the SDA with ribbon tweeter speaker... I think that should be next..

I look forward to whatever you end up doing.... you know I will try to make one myself someday lol....
    edited August 2012

Thanks! I would strongly recommend you to use TDK in your pre-amp. I did try Alps, Noble and TDK potentiometers and the TDK are way,way better than Alps and a step above of Noble potentiometers. They cost more money ,but it is worthy the extra $...
    edited August 2012
    The ribbon SDA will require a massive amount of skills I do not currently possess. I am finding the dipole designs to already have much of the same characteristics as SDA's have anyway, at least to my feeble ears.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
    edited August 2012
    I will take the tip to heart Lanchile... I am looking at throwing a grand worth of tubes at my Sunfire to see if I can wake it up first, but from what I have been reading, the amps mine are based off of tend to roll off on the highs, Don't know why that is, but I will be checking with Bob to see what he says.

• FaceFace Posts: 14,714
    edited August 2012
    Goldpoint is another great attenuator.

Did you use carbon pots in your amps like Bob does? If so, bypass them.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
    edited August 2012
    I did not put in volume attenuators on my amps. I saw no need for them so long as I have balance controls on the pre.

• FaceFace Posts: 14,714
    edited August 2012
    Good.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • zingozingo Audiophile Posts: 11,829
    edited September 2012
    Not mine, but I'd love to own it.

IMGP2634.jpg
  • zingozingo Audiophile Posts: 11,829
    edited September 2012
    Not mine, but I'd love to own it.

IMGP2634.jpg
  • Moose68BashMoose68Bash Posts: 3,589
    edited September 2012
    I've got an interesting piece of equipment, pictures of which I want to post on this thread as soon as I can dig it out of the closet and take the photos.

A little tease: Perhaps an iPod precursor?

More to come later; I hope later today, but maybe tomorrow.

Cheers!
    Family Room, PS Audio PW Transport, DirectStream DAC w/Bridge II; AQ Sky XLRs, McIntosh MC 220 Tube Pre; AQ Sky XLRs, CAT 600.2 Dualmono Amp, Morrow SP7 Speaker Cables, SDA SRS 1.2tls (RD0198s, Dreadnought, Black Hole 5, Acousta-Stuf, Dynamat Extreme, JBWeld. Vr3 Mods: "The Abbot" Monastery-Level Xovers, Custom Internal Wiring, Binding Post Plates, & SDA ICs).

Exercise Room, Wadia 171 iPod Dock, PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ Sky XLRs, Perreaux PMF3150 Amp, Dreadnought, Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables, SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers).

Synology 713+ NAS on Gigabit LAN serving PW MkII DAC & DirectStream DAC.
  • nspindelnspindel Posts: 5,346
    edited September 2012
    This is the inside of my Dared MC-7P preamp:

IMG_1174.jpg

And this is the inside of my Dared MC-7P after I upgraded all the coupling caps with Auricaps:

IMG_1188.jpg
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 7,079
    edited September 2012
    NAD C316BEE:
    316_2.jpg

316_1.jpg

Beautiful! :biggrin:
    "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."