Show me your ****(embly), and let me get in your guts baby!

Options

Comments

• zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited June 2009
    Options
    My highly modified K-16LS amp.

qnwig3.jpg
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,713
    edited June 2009
    Options
    I believe that's the first glued together chassis I have seen. Elmers?
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited June 2009
    Options
    WilliamM2 wrote: »

At least your vision is better than your hearing.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited June 2009
    Options
    WilliamM2 wrote: »
    Maybe you would like to post your DIY efforts?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,051
    edited June 2009
    Options
    zingo wrote: »
    My highly modified K-16LS amp.

qnwig3.jpg

innerestin'.

Here's a semi-nude. A beautiful Scott 130 preamp that I endeavored to rehab for someone. Like most Scott equipment that I touch, it was beyond me. I passed it on to a true Scott guru.

Keen eyes will note a faint white circle that I drew in a feeble attempt to note that someone had added an external filament transformer to the Scott's "wimpformer". Scott was sort of notorious for using power transformer that were barely up to their tasks. This 130 needed a new transformer, full stop. It got one, too (just not via me...).

EDIT: oops sorry that's so big. Fixed it :-)
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2009
    Options
    another semi-nude. This is a harman/kardon FA-3000X stereo FM receiver. It's pretty unremarkable, except to note that this was the last hk vacuum tube receiver produced. Note the Compactron in the FM section. Push-pull 7408 outputs for about 10wpc.

This one is mine, from a fundraising auction for www.audiokarma.org It works but of course needs the usual 'old tube gear' rehab; gotta get around to that someday.

MVC-004S.jpg
    MVC-002S.jpg

(EDIT: It did come with the 'missing' knob, not seen in these old photos)
  • Systems
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Your impressive collection of vintage gear must rival Mr Fosgates.see pic part way down.http://www.stereophile.com/interviews/1204fosgate/
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Kenwood KR-4200. Dump find; one weak channel. I can't troubleshoot soiled state stuff so I gave it to someone...

P1000515.jpg
    P1000513.jpg

Early-70s vintage; predictably good tuner section.
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2009
    Options
    urkey-durkey. This is a sad one :-(
    A Mass.-area AKer picked up a beautiful old Radio Shack SAF-40 last year. We brought it up on a Variac and it sounded like bat barf. No fear, said I, I'll spruce it up for you. I replaced the rubber donuts that isolate the power transformer from the chassis (used some phono grommets from www.tubesandmore.com ), rebuilt the DC filament supply (for the high-gain preamp tubes) with silicon diodes, changed the (ceramic) coupling caps for Illinois "lemon drops" and got a new quad of "EL84M" tubes for it. Also went to a less-efficient HV rectifier tube to lower the B+ a bit (these amps run their 7189 outputs murderously hard).

As it turned out, one of its four 7189 outputs (which were really weak) had already been replaced... with a 6BM8! :-P Someone from the shallow end of the gene pool did that...
    The result? The output transformer in that channel is half-open :-( Needless to say, the bias in that output tube is a little off.

Someday I need to find a replacement OPT that'll physically fit. Someday.
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2009
    Options
    At the other end of the Rat Shack spectrum... an SAF-24C. Push-pull 6BM8 outputs in this one (interestingly enough!). This one looks like bat barf, but sounds good. Got this for $20 last year at a NEARC fleamarket in MachVegas, NH (www.nearc.net )
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    edited June 2009
    Options
    My 140LBs pure joy. ;) Now, you got to tell me what model it is. :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=38225&d=1234407562

Each Channel has 14x200W Sanken Tranny and can handle pretty much most low impedance load speakers without sweat. Said to be stable down to 0.6ohms for music passages but not for use to weld steal :)
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Dunno but it looks like it probably has some headroom :-)
  • megasat16
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Onk M51X, I suppose you got the last one.

Yeah...some headroom it has (300WPC@8ohms rated but 2.1KW@0.6ohms IHF for music in the Service Manual. :D Beats my ML No.335 hands down in power and authority over Carver Plats.
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • Systems
    edited June 2009
    Options
    If it uses Sankens I'm guessing it's Japanese.It looks to have a pair hefty Toroids aswell as 3 EI core transformers, maybe for the voltage gain stages?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • megasat16
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Yeah GV! It's 140LBs **** made vintage. Two of the three E core transformers are Real Phase transformers (I assume it's the similar tech used in MAC but known as autoformer). The other smaller transformer is used for power meter, lights and other misc functions.
  • Systems
    edited June 2009
    Options
    It's definately a monster and no doubt impervious to any load presented by a loudspeaker.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • WilliamM2
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Face wrote: »
    At least your vision is better than your hearing.

Such a silly guy, always associating imagination with hearing.
  • WilliamM2
    edited June 2009
    Options
    GV#27 wrote: »
    Maybe you would like to post your DIY efforts?

No offense intended, I didn't realise that he built it himself. He just said modded. I thought maybe it was very old gear.
  • polkie4life
    polkie4life Posts: 231
    edited June 2009
    Options
    engtaz wrote: »
    Beautiful setup polkie4life

Hmmm. The wife says it sounds better than it looks!!!;)
    In terms of audio, i truly feel sorry for the visually impaired. How can they know what they like if they cant read google?

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=86838
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2009
    Options
    DSCN5751.jpg
    DSCN5743.jpg

Another dump find; AKAI GX-4000D (one of the last if not the last, entry-level, single-motor AKAI R2R)
    http://www.hifiengine.com/manuals/akai/gx-4000d.shtml

It worked, but not well. I subsequently gave it away at the NEARC fleamarket/swapfest.
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Dynaco SCA-35. Not a dump find; this one's in the living room :-)
    My much-beloved HF-81 is on hiatus; someday I need to track down the hum in it...

I've had this SCA-35 for about a year; semi-restored as purchased. Had to replace the EL84s (Sylvanias) recently. One had redplated, and for a change it was the tube, not the circuit. A matched quad of new-production JJs in there now. I also replaced the very microphonic 7199s with a pair of used ones kindly donated by a local tube hifi guru.

The chassis bears the unmistakable signs of rodent pee-pee, but the amp's in good working order (semi-restored). To take a little load off the power transformer, per Gary Kaufman's suggestion, I've removed the 12AX7s (since I use an outboard phono preamp). The preamp is otherwise completely passive in the SCA-35.
  • megasat16
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Where you find all the stuff like these, mrh? Looks Yummy Vintages! :)
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited June 2009
    Options
    megasat16 wrote: »
    Onk M51X, I suppose you got the last one.

Yeah...some headroom it has (300WPC@8ohms rated but 2.1KW@0.6ohms IHF for music in the Service Manual. :D Beats my ML No.335 hands down in power and authority over Carver Plats.

Mega,

hmmm.......a sand amp that actually interests me, send me that, I can dip that low with the Sound Labs and would love to see how it might make them sing.

RT1
  • Systems
    edited June 2009
    Options
    hmmm.......a sand amp that actually interests me, send me that, I can dip that low with the Sound Labs and would love to see how it might make them sing.

RT1
    Find yourself a good used pair of Bryston 7B ST mono blocs.Operated in parallel mode they should drive those SL's rather nicely.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • megasat16
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Mega,

RT1

RT1 (Ted), +1 to what Fred said. Bryston 7B-ST mono is what I wanted to try with Carver Plat next time. My friend owned a pair and they sounds superb. I thought I would buy them when he sold them a couple of months ago but I didn't have enough dough at that time.

But if you want to try Grand Integra M-510, it is 140LBs (68Kg) on it's own and packaging and shipping needs to be done by pro and ships freight. I guess you could make a trip down to CA with the Souldlabs speakers to listen at my place. :) This amp can rattle windows with any speakers and makes Carver Plats cry. I've tried it. Well, I think there are a handful sand amps that is up for the task as well.
    Find yourself a good used pair of Bryston 7B ST mono blocs.Operated in parallel mode they should drive those SL's rather nicely.

Absolutely, Fred! This is as good as it gets to drive low impedance panels. I have never a doubt on Bryston Engineering. On the other hands, I think 14B-SST C series for around 4K on Agon would do a lot of good things for any speaker.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited June 2009
    Options

crazy Canadien, btw saw your pic for your traps, damm, you got an igloo with drywall????? amazing advances your country is making!!!!!

I kind of like the Ayre mono-blocks, I really do not have any big mono or stereo sand amps at the moment, the Wolcott's can drive the SL just fine as they are noted as the amp for SL but always can make room for a big ole man sand amp.

I used a big man amp by BAT with my Amazings, still kinda regret selling that amp.

RT1
  • Systems
    edited June 2009
    Options
    crazy Canadien, btw saw your pic for your traps, damm, you got an igloo with drywall????? amazing advances your country is making!!!!!
    Yes we iz gotz da drywally stuffs now tanks to our good friends in China whos makes it for us.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited June 2009
    Options
    megasat16 wrote: »

Absolutely, Fred! This is as good as it gets to drive low impedance panels. I have never a doubt on Bryston Engineering. On the other hands, I think 14B-SST C series for around 4K on Agon would do a lot of good things for any speaker.
    The SST version of the 7B is even better but is doesn't have the switchable series /parallel option.If you want a parallel version for driving very low impedances it would be a special order.

The 14B is a brute of an amp,it's basically two 7B's in a single chassis.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2009
    Options
    cut the chatter, boys! peectures... we want peectures!

;-)
  • concealer404
    concealer404 Posts: 7,440
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Amps/preamps only? Or is anyone interested in seeing an old school Sansui tuna?

I have a couple i could post up when i get home tonite. I'll be bored with nothing better to do. :)
    I don't read the newsssspaperssss because dey aaaallllllllll...... have ugly print.

Living Room: B&K Reference 5 S2 / Parasound HCA-1000A / Emotiva XDA-2 / Pioneer BDP-51FD / Paradigm 11se MKiii

Desk: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / ISK HD9999

Office: Schiit Magni 2 Uber / Schiit Modi 2 Uber / Dynaco SCA-80Q / Paradigm Legend V.3

HT: Denon AVR-X3400H / Sony UBP-X700 / RT16 / CS350LS / RT7 / SVS PB1000