Speaker Hiss, static, Help!

Looped
Looped Posts: 12
edited February 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
I'm getting alot of static hiss from just the right front pair of DB6500's, particularly from the tweeter. Pretty loud in the break between cd tracks. Can't detect on the driver side set at all.
New install.
Pioneer Headunit,
EX690's in the rear, (2) DB 124DVC subs in the trunk.
50x4 TEK, 400X1 TEK amps.
All wiring is Stinger. RCA cables are shielded stinger, etc. Quality grounds. Where to start?
Post edited by Looped on

Comments

• PoweredByMAZDA!
    PoweredByMAZDA! Posts: 15
    edited February 2005
    Are you sure its not the deck...some of my old decks hissed when i was playing burned cd's after a time....
    2002 Ford Focus, Saleen Series 3 body kit, Eibach Racing suspension, ** Mazda RX7 13B ROTARY engine with Twin Turbo**. Converted to rear wheel drive. Dual Stainless Exhaust. 300+ HP. 17 Inch Gunmetal Excel Racing Rims, Toyo Tires & 4 Wheel 12 Inch Racing stainless steel Disc brake system.
  • Looped
    edited February 2005
    Don't think so. I did not have this "hiss" noise before reinstalling the carpet, seats etc. Probably have to pull everything and make sure I didn't drive a mounting screw or something through a wire. Never had components before and wondered if the crossover was producing this.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2005
    I think your first instinct is right.

An easy way to check would be to geto some cheap speaker wire and run them from the amp to the speakers without running them under the carpet or anything, just drape em over the seats.

If you still have the hiss, then you know its not your speaker wire.

Also, does it do it on ALL CD's or just burnt ones. Older CD's were recorded on analog tape and even tho theyve been transfered to CD there is still a lot of noise in them.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Looped
    edited February 2005
    Appreciate your reply Mac. I haven't played burnt cd's yet. At 1/3 volume, it's just a static hiss even when changing from multiple cd to XM tuner, etc., and changing between discs, songs. Maybe I'm just not used to this.
    My biggest disappointment came when trying to hook up the front components. There was literally noway for me to run the 12 ga stinger speaker wire through the factory door boots. Could not possibly get the wire through so I was forced to use the stock "infinity" system wire and mount the crossovers under the passenger seat.
    I will try what you mentioned running wires loose in the car before I take seats and carpet out again in vain. Thanks alot
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2005
    That may be the problem right there. The "Premium Infinity" wire is plain old stock OEM crap. If you cant fit 12 guage then move down to 14 or 16 guage. You could also drill a hole in the door. It wouldnt have to be that big, just big enough to get the wire thru.

If however, you ran the 12 AWG wire all the way up to the door then ran the stock wire only a foot or less then I doubt this would be the problem but it never hurts to have bigger wire.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Looped
    edited February 2005
    I totally agree. After several frustrating hours, I simply gave up. Used coat hanger, fish tape, you name it, I tried it. There is such a cluster f*%k of wiring harness, metal plates etc, you can't even find where the boot enters the car, lol. Funny thing is, when I "balance" all the way to the driver side, no hiss whatsoever. It's only coming from the passenger tweet, maybe the mid too, but definitely the tweeter. Oh well, turn it up enough, it's sweet!! Got about 1/2 hour on the subs, only another 19 1/2 more break in, haha.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2005
    drill new holes in your kick ... run a fresh line... PITA but it works.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Looped
    edited February 2005
    ok, it's "driller Time"
    This will be my weekend venture. Going to be a major PITA, but I'll sleep better at night knowing it's done right.
    Should be sweet. Had this gear stored away for a couple years, but it seems up to date pretty much with what I see online.
    Pioneer DEH730, Steering wheel remote
    Crossfire TEK 50.4
    Crossfire TEK 100.2
    Pioneer GEX910 XM
    Polk Db6250's
    Polk EX693's
    Polk subs, in the pic, Db124DVC X 2
    Pioneer 6 disk cd changer
    I don't do fiberglass, there's nothing outrageous or special about my install, except for the sound :D
    Thanks for pushing me to run that wire, I'll post one last one here when I'm done.
    Thanks