inexpensive wall sound-proofing?

Options
Micah Cohen
Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
edited March 2002 in Technical/Setup
Anybody know where to get pro-grade foam wall stuff, sound-proofing or room-deadening stuff? Please post. Thanks!

Micah
ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
Post edited by Micah Cohen on

Comments

• Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I've heard stuffed socks work pretty well.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited March 2002
    Options
    :rolleyes:
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • mjk91383
    mjk91383 Posts: 298
    edited March 2002
    Options
    good one, ron! :p

joe :D
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited March 2002
    Options
    You might try a fabric store. I'm thinking about making my own wall deadeners this weekend. Kinda like a picture frame, fabric over it with foamish stuff behind the fabric. Make sure you're stylin'!

- Steve
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • jmierzur
    jmierzur Posts: 489
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I was going to start mine this weekend as well.

Starting with a 1" x 2" frame backed with 1/8" peg board.

Each frame will contain two acoustical ceiling tiles (compressed fiberglass type with any plastic coating removed) and bonded blanket stuffing (check your favoriate sock making supplier for this material).

The entire frame will be covered by an acoustically transparent material of your choice.

Local audio stores are charging $200+ per 3'x6' pannel. I don't know what they fill these pannels with, but it must be good stuff.;)
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I pulled a ton of sound board out of an IMAX theater before it came crashing down. All that material is just 1" think compressed yellow insulation with a coloful fabric wrapped around it.

I used it in the green room for awhile and it work great. Too bad we not closer Micah, I'd give it all to ya. you can buy this stuff at any local Hardware mega-store.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • axeman
    axeman Posts: 170
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I used 1" celetex tapconed to the block walls with an R-19 rating, and covered it with T-111 paneling.

It provided the right stuff for the TL's...............YEA!

Joe
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I think pretty much anything that semi-absorbs soundwaves in the right spots would do pretty well.

I don't think you need to spend a ton of money on this, like $30 max ;) Seriously, if you have like $50,000 speakers, you can afford it. But cheap **** like me just need something to cover the walls!

- Steve
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • lax01
    lax01 Posts: 496
    edited March 2002
    Options
    You know what works great and you probably already have: PILLOWS!

:D
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited March 2002
    Options
    micah... save up those egg cartons..they make great sound proofing..of course..you will have to consume a ton of eggs to get the amount you need :)
  • billlb
    billlb Posts: 59
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Micah: It all depends how much wall you are trying to cover, and if it's over the finished wall or behind. For about $30 I take it's for over the wall. Your best bet is 2x4 ceiling tiles like a good old Armstrong brand #942 {looks like a worm holes effect} and then wrap your choice of material over it. If you are using cones in the corner then stuff them with {fire stop} it looks like insulation but much more compressed and costs more. If you are talking behind your walls then there isn't enough room and time on this sheet. I used to do all the work at a local A/V store. I gave alot of advice with my knowledge in building and picked up some knowledge during projects. I finished a home theater room and it turned out awesome. I hope this helps, other than some i'm serious. Have Fun........
  • rlw
    rlw Posts: 231
    edited March 2002
    Options
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited March 2002
    Options
    my frend once pulled a sound pannel off a wall of a local amc theater and all that was a frame with cloth streched over it
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited March 2002
    Options
    They make foam for beds that look just like sonex. Usually you can find them at really large fabric stores. Hospitals use them a lot. Pretty cheap if you can find them.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Troy LaMont
    Troy LaMont Posts: 27
    edited March 2002
    Options
    This is a great thread on how to make your own;

AV Science thread or you can try here or here or here. :D

I'm also looking for some soundproofing materials for my HT and I've been doing a little research.

Troy
    "I know you have a group of guys just sitting around thinking **** up, and another group of guys backing them up..." - Harry Stamper