MP3 on DVD-R playing head unit?

lonwa
lonwa Posts: 83
edited February 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Just curious if any manufacturers have got around to making something like this. It seems to me to be the next best thing since you can put 4700 minutes of music on one disc (the equivalent to 58 X 80 minute CDs). I would love to get rid of my 12 disc CD changer.

Thanks

Lonwa
Sometimes good command decisions get compromised by bad emotional responses."
Post edited by lonwa on

Comments

• LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited February 2005
    Well, I want one that plays CD audio on a DVD disk... Why not go with 6 cd's worth of full quality music on one disk?

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited February 2005
    why not just buy CD's and keep the quality good? Burning at any bitrate will degrade your SQ. Don't kill the music. Distortion kills speakers.
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited February 2005
    Originally posted by lonwa
    Just curious if any manufacturers have got around to making something like this. It seems to me to be the next best thing since you can put 4700 minutes of music on one disc (the equivalent to 58 X 80 minute CDs). I would love to get rid of my 12 disc CD changer.

Thanks

Lonwa

I would think any DVD playing head unit could play MP3s off a DVD-R. I'm pretty sure all DVD head units have MP3 decoding on them.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2005
    Originally posted by Toxis
    why not just buy CD's and keep the quality good? Burning at any bitrate will degrade your SQ.

I agree with this.

It seems now that everybody is wanting MP3's that SQ is taking a back seat. Sure I cant put 54,965 songs on a single CD but my CD sounds a whole lot better than a MP3. And, really, how hard is it to change out to another CD?

For my computer and my crappy Logitech compy speakers, Ill stick with MP3's. But for my expensive home and car audio system where SQ is the #1 concern, Ill use my CD's. But to each their own.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited February 2005
    It all depends... I usually download something then Mp3 it till it comes out, or till i scrape up enough dough and bring myself to buying the cd.

but I stick with cd's anymore as well.

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...