14awg installed...What a difference

Options
rodneyat
rodneyat Posts: 67
edited March 2002 in Technical/Setup
Well, my Monster 14g wire came in on Tuesday and I decided to at least wire up my mains and center last night and save my surrounds for this weekend's project. I used the 4 conductor wire for the mains and center and it took about 25 minutes to get that cut, spliced etc. Boy, what a difference it made over the generic 16g that I had. It had a lot more presence, clarity and volume. I really had not expected that much of a difference. That being said, I could not wait until this weekend to wire the surrounds, so I took a couple of extra hours late last night to do that. It was a pain to pull the old stuff out of the walls and from under the floor but it was worth it. Running under the floor is not too bad since my media room is on the first floor and I have a drop ceiling in my basement...The walls are the bigger pain. Oh well, the results were awesome!

BTW: Anybody want about 150' of generic 16gauge speaker wire???? :o
Polk RT 800i mains, CS 400i center, FX 500i surrounds, RT 35i rear centers, Definitive Supercube II, Yamaha RX-V3800, Samsung PN58C8000
Post edited by rodneyat on

Comments

• juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited March 2002
    Options
    glad you are happy to hear the results of your upgrade. ENJOY!!!:D
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited March 2002
    Options
    rodeny what was the lenth of your speaker wires so we know the lenth for emprovement of the larger gage wire. example change from 16 gage to 14 gage in 30 ft. lenths makes a big diffrance, but 10 ft. lenths it dose not.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • rodneyat
    rodneyat Posts: 67
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Joe, the runs for my mains and my center are all in the 12-18 foot range. The runs for my surrounds are all in the 40-49 foot range. Even with the shorter runs up front, I still could hear a considerable difference. Really, I believe there are two factors in this case. I upgraded from 16guage to 14gauge wire but also went to a higher quality wire. The generic 16gauge wire that I had was about 4 years old and had a few splices in it. So, I am sure that had a big part to play in it as well.
    Polk RT 800i mains, CS 400i center, FX 500i surrounds, RT 35i rear centers, Definitive Supercube II, Yamaha RX-V3800, Samsung PN58C8000
  • joe logston
    edited March 2002
    Options
    ok thats problely whats going on the cheaper cable was real old and deteriated, my self i use monster 12 ga. the flat white wire, i use it to run under the carpet. the white insutlating material looks like it would last for yrs.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

• begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited March 2002
    Options
    10 gauge AR master series w/silver coated copper for
    the rt800i's !

There's a definte clarity and dynamic range.
    Also I find my receiver doesn't have to work as hard.
    I'm listening at volume levels that now need only
    be 3-5 db's lower !
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • joe logston
    edited March 2002
    Options
    whats the price per ft. on the ar master, they sound like they would be a awesome cable, i got distech #3125c silver coated copper cables, but they are to short for my speakers.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub