amplifiers

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited February 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have a 1200 watt amp and im looking to see how much its pushin? how do i find out? Ultimate make it, are they a good amp
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2005
    i heard there junk from the guy at happy ear but what does he know?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited February 2005
    Where did you buy it and how much did you pay for it? Less than $300 and it's probably 1200W peak. Look for an RMS wattage number in the manual, or on the company's website. RMS, or true output power, is generally around half of the max wattage, so you're probably pushing around 5-600 watts.
    -Austin
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • PoweredByMAZDA!
    PoweredByMAZDA! Posts: 15
    edited February 2005
    Think about it....the amp can only allow for so much current coming in, and this current comes in at a pretty much constant voltage pressure.. somewhere between 12 and 14 volts usually. You take the sum total of the fuse current (the number on the fuse) and you multiply that by about 14 (for 14 volts)...Because current times voltage equals power (watts) So if the amp has a pair of 20 amp fuses (a total of 40 amps) you multiply 40X14=560. But this is usually the peak power of the amp..To get the rms you should devide this number by about 2. so 560/2 =280....
    Its not exactly true but mathematically speaking it makes sense. It should give you a pretty close number to what the amp really does. Like take one of my mtx pro150.2 blue thunder amps for example. The fuses on them are 2 30 amp fuses on each amp. This calculates out to 420W rms by the method i just gave you. The born at slip on my amps said a total of 440W so thats pretty close (PS im talking about 2 ohm power here..4 ohm power is about half of 2 ohm...)
    2002 Ford Focus, Saleen Series 3 body kit, Eibach Racing suspension, ** Mazda RX7 13B ROTARY engine with Twin Turbo**. Converted to rear wheel drive. Dual Stainless Exhaust. 300+ HP. 17 Inch Gunmetal Excel Racing Rims, Toyo Tires & 4 Wheel 12 Inch Racing stainless steel Disc brake system.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2005
    Not so true...

Fuse ratings are deceiving.

Input current * Input voltage = total power CONSUMPTION... not the power output.

A true tube amp would give you about 30% efficiency... a class AB solid state amp will give you about 65 - 70% efficiency ... and a class D may give you about 85 or more ...

so lets say its a "good" class AB solid state... then power output = (0.75) * Input Current * Input Voltage

As far as peak versus RMS - that's an invalid arguement as well... Time is always a factor - RMS power accounts for a more realistic measurement, it's closer to average power. Average power yields a solid description of the "area under the curve", so to speak, of the output. It is this measurement that will reflect nominal input current to the amplifier.

So when you say that you're drawing 100 amps of current into the amplifier - at 14 volts ... and that's 1400 watts... well thats not 1400 watts peak out of the amp... its more like a maximum of 1400 watts average power (assuming a 100% efficient amplifier) out.

So... if its your average amp, you're looking at 0.75 * 1400 = 1050 watts average power.

that's more or less going backwards, but it is correct.

never judge an amplifier based upon its fuse rating. it's the trademark of a circuit city salesman... (i'm gonna take **** for that...)
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Aussie_Austin
    Aussie_Austin Posts: 14
    edited February 2005
    Hi mates! I am Aussie Austin from the DOWN UNDER!!! Will you all be my mates? AustinKP already is :D ! Join me in the DOWN UNDER because I am the THUNDER FROM THE DOWN UNDER!
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited February 2005
    man, why did i have to be the one on the boards when this dude started up... now i have to police him...

austin doesn't know this guy even exists, so please don't feel obliged to ignore him in addition to this guy...

oh, and the thunder from down under? that's the name of an all-male performing troupe in las vegas...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Aussie_Austin
    edited February 2005
    why the bitter words mate? Oh and you would know about the Las Vegas male stripper thing...you naughty mate.......
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2005
    Hmmmm....I sense a deception taking place.

Grammer is too good for Ronald so.......
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Aussie_Austin
    edited February 2005
    whoa mate....take it easy
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited February 2005
    well, what pissed ronny off last time? ripping on his car, right? hey aussieman, what kinda car do you drive?

oh, and all i did was run a google for 'thunder from down under', that's what popped up.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs