I'm Special!

neomagus00
neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
edited February 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Originally posted by MacLeod
Well Im down on JL lately cause, frankly, they are just too damn popular but Ill always be a fan of Alpine and I flat love their V12 amps.
Originally posted by mjr7531
So unpopularity is a requirment?
Yeah, actually, it is! Does anyone else get this? I drive a saab, which i love because no one else has one... my realistic dream car is a lotus elise, also because no one has one (and cause it kicks ****). I have polk stuff because, compared to other people i know, at least, no one has it! Is it just me, or does anyone else get stuff cause no one else has it yet? (and cause it's as good or better than the popular stuff)

P.S. This has NOTHING to do with the closed thread, so let's not bring that nonsense in here.
It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
Post edited by neomagus00 on

Comments

• spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited February 2005
    You sure are special, but in a different way:D :p . Having stuff no one has is nice, I wish I did, sometimes. What if what everyone has is the good stuff though?
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited February 2005
    How can it not have anything to do with the other thread, when you pull two quotes out of the other thread, and continue the discussion from the other thread? Don't expect this to last long...
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited February 2005
    Because we are not going to go back into/onto the topic that the other thread was started on. Neo's comments were about how he likes things that are generally unpopular. Some of us have control of what we discuss, where, and when.
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • PoweredByMAZDA!
    PoweredByMAZDA! Posts: 15
    edited February 2005
    Originally posted by neomagus00
    Yeah, actually, it is! Does anyone else get this? I drive a saab, which i love because no one else has one... my realistic dream car is a lotus elise, also because no one has one (and cause it kicks ****). I have polk stuff because, compared to other people i know, at least, no one has it! Is it just me, or does anyone else get stuff cause no one else has it yet? (and cause it's as good or better than the popular stuff)

P.S. This has NOTHING to do with the closed thread, so let's not bring that nonsense in here.

I like progressive trance...because nobody likes it.....
    LOL
    2002 Ford Focus, Saleen Series 3 body kit, Eibach Racing suspension, ** Mazda RX7 13B ROTARY engine with Twin Turbo**. Converted to rear wheel drive. Dual Stainless Exhaust. 300+ HP. 17 Inch Gunmetal Excel Racing Rims, Toyo Tires & 4 Wheel 12 Inch Racing stainless steel Disc brake system.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2005
    A product like JL that seems to be everywhere doesnt make me think less of the product, it just makes me want something different.

Thats the cool thing about Polk. They arent as popular as JL or MB Quart so many people dont use their gear. So I get to have something a little different but just as good as the "popular" brands. ;)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,529
    edited February 2005
    I buy things because it sounds good. If everyone else has it too, well thats great...

But dont you feel kinda silly buying Polk speakers in a place where everyone owns Polk? ;)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2005
    LOL! But thats just round here. Outside of CP, I dont know anybody that has Polk gear. Its all Audiobahn, JL or RF. Funny cause Polk is better than all those.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2005
    i dont buy JL because they are the car audio equivalent to bose;)
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • neomagus00
    edited February 2005
    hmm... my mom got herself a bose wave system (the new wave radio)... and that thing sounds pretty damn good. it hits absurdly low and hard for such a tiny unit, and has pretty damn good resolution, clarity, and dynamics besides. good stuff.

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited February 2005
    In some respects, I do see blatant overpopularity as sort of a sign that the producer of that product is trying to be popular and not necessarily the best.

Take Sony... Once they were veritably one of the best. They were expensive, but great quality. in the 90's we noticed a big switch as the company went on a marketing binge. Things became red to catch a glance. Products had to 'look cool', and be marketed to the group of people who had the biggest burning hole in their pockets. In short, Sony went from the audiophile groups' lean-on industry leading company to their notorious spot on department store shelves screaming "buy me because I'm red and cool."

So there is something to be said about buying the 'other stuff'. While Sony is busy repairing its name, Polk is busy providing a great product with less sales and with confident pride.

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2005
    Yeah, I understand companies wanting to make tons of money, after all thats why they got started, but I still dont like it.

I still think JL is very good stuff just too hyped and too popular. Same with Sony. I think they make good stuff but since theyve ruined their name, they dont have the credibility of Denon, Alpine or Polk.

I see Rockford Fosgate heading down the same path. When I got into car audio about 15 years ago, Rockford Fosgate was spoken with reverence. Now? Eh. Even tho theyve got the awesome Power series line, most people, me included, consider them simply Best Buy's top of the line. :rolleyes:

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2005
    I like myself, because nobody else does...
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited February 2005
    True on the RF lines, MacLeod.

A friend of mine dropped RF from his shop over a year back because they were getting worse, and didn't want to back some of their warranties.

Even I'm a little dissapointed in the H/U I have, this is the second one that the Sum-out has failed... the first one was broken out of box. I'd expect a good H/U to lasl longer than 3 years, too, but the face clips are all broken now.

I should post a pic of the tie-wraped-on faceplate! :-D
    Not only that, but I had to design a resistor-divider block to pull signal off the front lines for the amp, but it can only match that exact setup's voltages and input resistances. Of course, the hard part was stuffing that extra wiring into my dash :-(

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • exalted512
    edited February 2005
    you might not have to worry about RF much longer...there's a possibility they might go under.
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2005
    Originally posted by exalted512
    you might not have to worry about RF much longer...there's a possibility they might go under.
    -Cody

What?!? :eek:

No way!

They are bigger now than ever! And since they just bought MB Quart and somebody else if I remember right I would think they are cruising along just fine.

• neomagus00
    edited February 2005
    i have no idea what he's talking about, but remember boston market?

• MacLeod
    edited February 2005
    Originally posted by neomagus00
    i have no idea what he's talking about, but remember boston market?

Boston Market? Dont follow ya bro.

• neomagus00
    edited February 2005
    they were doing well, so they went on a huge expansion spree, almost doubling the number of stores, and it completely crashed down on em, left em bankrupt or nearly so. perhaps the same thing's happening with RF

• MacLeod
    edited February 2005
    Man, I hope not!

Im not that big a fan of RF but ya gotta give em props (a little hip hop lingo there). Theyve been around a long time and are largely responsible for the car audio scene!

• exalted512
    edited February 2005
    theyre going to start selling off some of their some companies so ive heard. watch out for their stocks. (rofo)
    -Cody
  • mbdyer12
    mbdyer12 Posts: 220
    edited February 2005
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    Boston Market? Dont follow ya bro.

Boston Market has some good food.
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX