Physically Small high power amps

PoweredByMAZDA!
PoweredByMAZDA! Posts: 15
edited February 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Looking for reccomendations on where I can get 2 twin clean, high power 2 channel amps. Each one will be bridged to a 4 olm subwoofer. I need small amps though, not much bigger than 9 inches by 11 inches....The smaller physically the better....
(PS NO TUBE AMPS!)

Im looking to get about 200W RMS X 2 maybe 250W RMS x2
2002 Ford Focus, Saleen Series 3 body kit, Eibach Racing suspension, ** Mazda RX7 13B ROTARY engine with Twin Turbo**. Converted to rear wheel drive. Dual Stainless Exhaust. 300+ HP. 17 Inch Gunmetal Excel Racing Rims, Toyo Tires & 4 Wheel 12 Inch Racing stainless steel Disc brake system.
Post edited by PoweredByMAZDA! on

Comments

• bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited February 2005
    Why not get two monoblock Class D amps?
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • HowLowdRu
    HowLowdRu Posts: 4
    edited February 2005
    it is a d100hc and by far eclipses the power your looking for. output is a hair over 1600 watts (ACTUAL).

It is a MMATS D100HC and will push whatever. I have pictures as well as video of some of the other amps but they are physically larger (Fosgate Power 1000,F Power 800x2, F Power 800x2, F Power 800x4) then some pioneers.

If interested email me at sandsdw@monroe.army.mil, I have references on www.stratusphere.net where i am the audio video mod, as well as www.forums.maxima.org, where i am a member and my ebay which is howlowdru if youd like to check out my track record.
    PICS|Sound|Rank My Strat
    "Fugazi, Baby!!U R FUGAZI"
    GARAGEGet On Board...Jekyl~N~Hyde
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2005
    depends on your budget....
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2005
    I respectfully refuse to answer this question...

... you know why...
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2005
    Why not get a single Class D amp? Something like the Polk 500.1 would be 250x2 if wired to a pair of 4 ohm SVC subs.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited February 2005
    Why can't you people ever just answer a simple goddamn question instead of giving people a million answers with equipment that they specifically said that they DO NOT WANT!

PoweredByMAZDA, check out the Hifonics Warrior series. Particularly the Merlin model.

http://www.cardomain.com/item/HIFMERLINHF

It's pretty much exactly what you are looking for. 200 watts RMS into 4 ohm and Dimensions: 10.66 L x 7.6 W x 2 H

They are cheap too. Right around 150 bucks at onlinecarstereo.com

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=13988

They are solid performers and a tad under-rated. Defintly a good buy in any respect.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited February 2005
    Jstas, I think we all answered the question with a question since high power and physically small don't go together with *most* 2 channel amps since they are *generally* Class AB.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2005
    Originally posted by Jstas
    Why can't you people ever just answer a simple goddamn question instead of giving people a million answers with equipment that they specifically said that they DO NOT WANT!

Jesus, dude. I dont want to start a brawl here but why does everything have to be a **** battle with you?

He wanted 2 small amps to run 2 SVC subs. He's obviously concerned with space seeing as he said "the smaller the better" and a single Class D amp is much smaller than 2 A/B's and since he NEVER said which products he DID NOT want, we offered up what we thought would be a good choice.

So you didnt like Brian's or my answers, well then post your best recommendations and lose the attitude!
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited February 2005
    Since when does anyone else besides PoweredByMAZDA get to determine what is best for him? He asked for amplifiers meeting specific criteria and all I see is suggestions from everyone else about amps that decidely do not fit his specific criteria. I gave him amp suggestions that fit his criteria or exceeded it and gave him links on where to find it. I normally wouldn't have answered but it seems that his question was only answered with questions. That's not helping the guy out.

I gave my suggestions and I answered the questions asked. The amp that I suggested is small, runs 200 watts RMS at 4 ohms on 1 channel. If he needs DVC subs hooked up, wire the 4 ohm VC's for a 2 ohm load and he'll still get 200 watts per voice coil. Two of those amps will fit or exceed his needs. Why is it that I can easily find a solution to the criteria he set forth but so many other people need more info? It's car stereo equipment, not rocket science. It doesn't need so much deliberation. If he asks for gear advice then all you have to do is answer his questions. If he gets advice that isn't what he was looking for then he needs to rephrase his question(s) so that others can understand what he is thinking. You don't need to try and figure it out for him by asking multiple questions and drawing out a thread to 3 or 4 pages because one of you doesn't agree with the other about equipment opinions.

The guy wants help, not a diatribe about what gear is better because you did/didn't use it and why nor does he want an inquisition about what he really means when he laid it out plain and simple.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • MacLeod
    edited February 2005
    Whatever.

I dont really care if I answered his question properly or not. You coming in here throwing around attitude like we're a bunch of 5 year olds that dont know what we're talking about is ****!!

You wouldnt tolerate it I guarantee ya. So why do you think we want to?

No need for this to turn into some battle or rivalry. Ive said my piece, Ill bow out now.

• swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited February 2005
    just bite his freaking ear off and be done with it....

EIGHT SIX SEVEN TWO FIFTY!!!
    WHAT YOU GON' DO... GET UP OFF ME!

word, i love hostility... especially when people get E-Jumped

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2005
    PBM can never be satisfied...

the blue thunder pro 150.2's he's running now are a healthy 450-ish by 1 each at 4 ohms.

He need's that much power - pushing two Alpine type R 10's in sealed 0.73 cubic foot boxes.

I told him to go with two of the mtx 8302's or 502's - as they're basically the same amp - and the same size as the blue thunder pro 150.2's...

Basically, he's looking for a higher grade of amplifier... not that he doesn't like the mtx's, but simply that if he's going to buy all new amps (when he replaces the two sub amps - he's going to get another 4 channel for the high's as well) then he wants to move up a level in the amplifier world - except he needs them to be relatively small (for the sub amps) due to the dimensions of the cabinet behind the seat of his ranger.... it's built right into the wall and side panels - kind of comes out like a seamless extention of the back of the truck... and there's only so much room on the mounting platforms for the amplifiers.

The Hifonics stuff is good - the Warrior is allright (only downside is the power) but even a Zeus series amp would be great because they're not that big and they do have a model in the 4 - 500 watt range. Thing is - he doesn't like Hifonics - is looking more toward Zapco, Tru-Tech, Polk (dunno why - nothin against polk, but I don't see them as a far step up from mtx), and the likes...

Personally, I'm all tapped out of ideas, as it's at the point where I've thrown so many at him that I think he thinks I'm like "too close to the ball to make a call on it", so to speak.

So any advice you guys can give, along those lines, would be great.

Budget is pretty much not an issue -- 6 bills per amp (online price) would probably be his upper limit.
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2005
    also -- Jstas... a wise man once said, "Intelligence is feared and, therefore, often ridiculed, even berated; let that not lesson the magnitude of such."

Don't let them get to you... The more straightforward and honest you are, the more you're going to get slammed for no reason at all... but that doesn't make you any less sharp or any less of a cool guy.

:)
  • swerve
    edited February 2005
    there is nothing wrong with stating other things in the thread... hell if people would have just simply answered my questions I sure as hell wouldn't know about some of the things I do now... if it's not life and death, i don't see a problem in rec. other things as long as you give them an answer and attach other recomendations.

just my .02

-adam most
    cats.vans.bag...
  • exalted512
    edited February 2005
    Originally posted by swerve
    there is nothing wrong with stating other things in the thread... hell if people would have just simply answered my questions I sure as hell wouldn't know about some of the things I do now... if it's not life and death, i don't see a problem in rec. other things as long as you give them an answer and attach other recomendations.

just my .02

-adam most
    you feeling ok?
    -Cody
  • swerve
    edited February 2005
    Originally posted by exalted512
    you feeling ok?
    -Cody
    I'm feeling angry as of late...
    maybe it's the whole fact that the college thing isn't looking too bright. mobile dynamics did call my house however and my mom talked to a guy there for about 20 minutes... guess they wondered if i was still interested.

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • exalted512
    edited February 2005
    just wondering b/c your post was actually on topic...so you still thinking about going to mobile or??
    -Cody
  • spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited February 2005
    Adam? On topic? Huh? Whats that?
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited February 2005
    you people are so white...

I should send Dave Chapelle to drop a train on you peepz...
  • spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited February 2005
    LMAO...I don't even know what to say to that.
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • swerve
    edited February 2005
    Originally posted by exalted512
    just wondering b/c your post was actually on topic...so you still thinking about going to mobile or??
    -Cody
    Yea... still considering it highly... it would be a good step if i want to get into this industry... and sometimes I'm not as dumb as it sounds.....

-adam most
    cats.vans.bag...
  • Aussie_Austin
    Aussie_Austin Posts: 14
    edited February 2005
    Do you know what you are talking about?!
  • swerve
    edited February 2005
    Originally posted by Aussie_Austin
    Do you know what you are talking about?!
    Yea... what would you like to know?
    cats.vans.bag...
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited February 2005
    hehe... the aussie got shut down...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • swerve
    edited February 2005
    Originally posted by neomagus00
    hehe... the aussie got shut down...
    That's how I do...

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...