blown component speaker

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited February 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
I had cranked my dx series 6.5 components up a little to much last night and blew one of the 6.5 mid bass speaker in the set. Is it ok to buy a little highter watt speaker to replace both the 6.5's and still use the crossover that came with the original set? It's installed in my H2 and to replace everything with new componets will be another $70 for installation. If I can just replace the midbass speakers I can do that without having to take the dash apart.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2005
    thats fine
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2005
    I wouldnt.

If you replace the mid you should replace the tweeter as well. Component sets are matched and a different brand midrange might not voice match with the current tweeters or not be as loud.

Also, the x-over points might be wrong. Some mids play higher frequencies very harshly (ala MM6) and if not crossed over properly can sound kinda bad.

Crossovers are designed specifically for the mid and tweet they come with for the best SQ. Mixing and matching wont cause a catastrophe or anything but I dont think it would be best.

I would just upgrade the entire set.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2005
    I'm thinking of just buying the mmc6500. The amp that I am running the components and rear db525's off of is the c400.4. I saw there is some eq built in for hooking the mmc6500 directly up and not using the external crossover's. I then will have to either run my rear speakers off the headunit, a Pioneer Premier 840 or buy a small two channel amp. Is it going to sound alot better if I go this route? Or should I just swap the components out with new momo stuff and keep my amp running the front and rear?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2005
    If your choice is head unit power and anything else, NEVER choose head unit power.

I would just keep the amp running front and back.

That amp would be a little potent for bi-amping the MMC6500's. It was designed for the MM6 which is a little beefier speaker.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D