thinking about an upgrade

kayo_michael
kayo_michael Posts: 1
edited February 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi, i am new to this forum. :)

I have 2 pairs of Polk MOMO MMC570's in my 95 Explorer.
It is powered by the built-in amp in my Panasonic CQ-C5410U head unit which is 25watts x 4 RMS (50w peak).

I am considering about buying a 4ch amp.

The reason is when i turn the volume up to about 70%, the bass becomes distorted and it sounds like crap. This is the amp getting pushed to the limit right? i mean, the speakers are supposed to be able to handle 80w(180w peak) each so they should be capable of producing louder music...

The C400.4 said something about a "perfect match" for MOMO speakers but i don't quite understand what they mean. :(
Would any other Brands of amps match my speakers?

If i gt this Polk 4ch amp, would I be able to plug all 4 speakers into this amp? Do I still need to use the cross-overs that came with the speakers?

Im not too good with the tech stuff but I love sound with a passion and I thrive for accuracy.
I was very pleased with the results i got when i upgraded my speakers to Polk and i think i want to stick with them all the way.
I would like to get a 12inch sub installed in the future.

Thanks for reading my post and I would really appreciate some good advice!

- Mike
Post edited by kayo_michael on

Comments

• knieght rieduz
    knieght rieduz Posts: 7
    edited February 2005
    the sound becomes distorted at highvolumes because basically your speakers are being underpowered. you are correct in looking for an amp, and it will be a big difference as far as power/sound goes.

the c400.4 is said to be a good match becuase it gives out around 75 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms. so this means each speaker will be recieving right around its power handling capabilities and will make them sound much better than being powered by your hu alone. hope this helps
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2005
    Agreed.

At 70%, your head unit is putting out pure distortion and clipping badly. The C400.4 would be a perfect match for those speakers. You would still have to use the supplied crossover with your 5x7s.

I highly recommend you get the amp. You wont believe the difference in SQ. It will be the difference between driving a '71 Pinto and a '05 BMW 7 series.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D