Micah

CHRIS
CHRIS Posts: 454
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives

Club Polk is a password protected site
exclusively for Polk speaker owners.
Polk customers are the most important people on earth to us (after our families, of course) and we want you to receive special treatment and attention.

Join Club Polk
You must own Polk Speakers to join Club Polk! We do insist that you abide by the rules....

I waited to cool off to post about this instead of going off. The above were taken from Polk Audio web site, do they not apply anymore? Can I tell some friends as long as they like audio and meet your approval they can join now? I thought the CLUB Polk forum was a privilege for those who own Polks. After emails last night and yesterday, I found others feel as I do. I can understand variations on the agreement part of joining but it is pretty cut and dry about having to own Polk Speakers. It is not a personal thing with Dean I don't know him. I would gladly talk audio with him on a proper forum for both he and I to be on.
I joined the Club Polk Forum to talk with other POLK OWNERS. I had to give the serial number of a Polk speaker I OWN to join. When I want to go and talk to just anyone about audio I go to the proper forum not fraudulently join a club. Kick me out ban me but this is how I feel about the subject. Polk made the rules not me. Thank you for your time.
Chris
Chris :)
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• Eddie624
    Eddie624 Posts: 77
    edited March 2002
    Well i dont know if u have to have polk speakers to join or not. I would think on there part if they allow people on here that dont own polk speakers they may indeed sell more speakers to people that dont own polk and that reading these forums may indeed lead them to buy Polk products. It really doesnt bother me in the least if poeple own polk or not. I dont think i would buy a certain brand of speakers just so i could get on there forum board. I dont think i even relaized there was a polk forum board on here before i bought my seakers only found it when i registered my speakers online. What does it matter if you discuss only with polk owners on this forum. Just because they dont necessarily have polk speakers at this time doesnt mean they didnt in the past or may in the future.
  • dean/klipschead
    dean/klipschead Posts: 295
    edited March 2002
    Well - the rules are the rules and you are right! I didn't see that (does anyone really read those agreement things :)

I did not join fraudulently. Where it asked me what Polk speakers I owned I typed in 'Klipsch'. Where it asked for a serial number I typed in 'RF7's'.

The only real point in having that rule would be if you only wanted to have discussions regarding Polk products - yet many posts on this site have nothing to do with Polk speakers and/or audio. The idea is to have some fun.

If the rule was intended so you folks could have a little 'club' thing going - well, I don't know - seems a little silly. Maybe you should add a secret handshake or password or something.

At any rate - what if someone is considering a Polk purchase? Where do they go for opinions and/or information?

Historically - audio has been based on fostering a spirit of inclusiveness. Do Polk owners really want to foster a spirit of exclusivity? That surprises me.

Chris - I am disappointed that you and those ‘others’ feel this way. How is this attitude going to really interest me in buying a Polk product - or coming back to this board if I do?

I don't get it.

Oh yeah - it's the rules thing.

I have no problem leaving if that what's decided. But maybe you and 'others' should decide if it's really a good rule.

You can find me at the Klipsch site. All are welcome.
    Dean
    Quicksilver M-60 monoblocks - JM 200 Peach Linestage - Sony DVP-S9000ES - '03 modified Klipschorns

"I'm sure it's better than it sounds."-- Mark Twain, when asked what he thought about Wagner's music
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited March 2002
    Nothing against Dean or any other non-polk owners, but where do you draw the line? According to the rules, you must be a Polk owner to join the forums. Do we let 1 non-Polk owner in? 10? 100? 1000?

I have no issues with letting anyone in that wants in, but then you must drop the password protection/polk owner quideline. Either we open up the forums for all (owners & non-owners) or close them to all non-owners.

Not trying to start a war or anything, just looking for a little understanding.

Peace Out~ :confused:
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited March 2002
    At any rate - what if someone is considering a Polk purchase? Where do they go for opinions and/or information?
    In this case, Polk needs to provide a public forum. Or do away with the password protection on the current forums.
    But maybe you and 'others' should decide if it's really a good rule.
    Yet agian, another decision Polk needs to make.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • Eddie624
    edited March 2002
    Look at it this way the more people in her the more opportunity for polk to sell more speakers then the more money they make the more they can put into R&D and the possibility of more higher quality speakers that they can develop. LOL or actually a lot more dough Matt can put in his wallet. Wouldnt u want to be able to go into a forum area about a certain speaker brand or really and specific brand of something to read what they say about that particular product and maybe help u make a more informed decision on the product you wish to buy. I dont know if will necessarily will give a better advantage on a making a informed decsion on buying something. But cant we just stop all the segregation in the world and live happily with one another. LOL
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited March 2002
    Eddy go to a Chey forum and ask about a Ford wat happens. It does not work that way we are biased to Polks.
    Chris :)
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited March 2002
    I will agree that this is a Polk site and that it is for folks that own Polk speaks....fine. That is a decent GUIDELINE to keep things somewhat on an even keel.

All I have to say is this, just because a dude happens to like and enjoy a different brand of speaks, is that sufficient reason to be rude and try to run him off? I mean Polk's are not the end all, be all speaks. I think most of us own and enjoy other makes. If you don't, well, that's your thing. Point is, it's OK to like other brands.

If someone is on the site and they don't belong for WHATEVER reason, it is up to the Polk folk to take care of it. Not any of us. Just running someone off and treating them like a leper is childish and stupid and makes me ashamed of the forum. We are better than that.

I would hope that we would all treat everyone else with the same amount of respect that we would like to be treated with. I have no worries with good natured ribbing (ie Aarons rears) but bashing other folks gear and intelligence level and the personal attacks is BS. Personally, I think if you do that kind of thing, than you don't belong here.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited March 2002
    Yeah ...I agree with Troy!
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited March 2002
    Uh-oh. Did I start this? Sorry, Dean, if I did. I was just curious which Polk speakers you owned, if any, and how you got on the boards if you don't.

I think having the forum for owners-only is a neat idea---I like it. But it would be a shame to exclude someone who is genuinely interested and has something to contribute (Dean, go buy some R10's or something ;)) . You know, out of 34,000 registered members, there's probably less than 50 who ever say anything.

I have to agree, though. If that's the rule, then it should apply to everyone.

Jason
  • dean/klipschead
    edited March 2002
    no - you did not start this

Chris really didn't 'start' it either

'I' started it by 'hacking' the board with my Klipsch data :)

rules are rules - for me stay they must change the rule.

Check out these numbers:

Polk site: 34,551 registered users with 9,266 posts

Klipsch site: 16,958 registered users with 79,669 posts
    Dean
    Quicksilver M-60 monoblocks - JM 200 Peach Linestage - Sony DVP-S9000ES - '03 modified Klipschorns

"I'm sure it's better than it sounds."-- Mark Twain, when asked what he thought about Wagner's music
  • fabian1
    fabian1 Posts: 218
    edited March 2002
    I would like to keep it a Polk owners only forum. This forum is a family. I have seen other furums that have other brands and most of the forums get bogged down in sensless debates. I know I can come on this forum and chill out. It,s good fun we have Micah to stir up, some great regulars, Ron P to name a few. In Australia we have this forum called the DBA, it is a forum that discusses Digital TV and 90% of it revolves around stupid debates that offend people. I have been insulted on numorous occasions because I am impartial, eg Standard Digital TV vs HD Digital TV so when it gets to hot I know I can come on this site and just have some fun, I hope Polk leave this as it is, an educational, one eyed Polk forum that it is. Regards Fabian
    The Wonder From Downunder
  • kanicker
    kanicker Posts: 86
    edited March 2002
    D/K:

If you purchase audio gear based on the "type" of person that purchases said gear, or one bad experience from dealing with a "fan" of that gear, then... well... then that's a very unusual practice... to put it nicely.

I for one am usually entertained by trouble-makers and rouges. As long as the boards are actively moderated, I see no reason why any seriously interested party should not be allowed to post...
  • dean/klipschead
    edited March 2002
    Fabian1: Agreed - i've seen that too and it sucks. It's a shame when people can't just take a product on its own merit instead of getting into 'mine is better than yours' bit.

You have a valid point and that might be why they set it up that way.

Of course if people came in here stirring up **** and shilling for other brand names - you could just ban them.

Why not a 'vistors' forum where anyone can pop in and ask questions?

Hell - this is silly. I was only hanging out here until I decided if wanted a set of LSi9's or not.

Klipsch Out :cool:
    Dean

• -justin-
    -justin- Posts: 891
    edited March 2002
    Originally posted by dean/klipschead

Check out these numbers:

Polk site: 34,551 registered users with 9,266 posts

Klipsch site: 16,958 registered users with 79,669 posts

Most of the members here are speaker owners that have registered their speakers and opted to join 'the club' in case they ever need parts or service. If you are a club member and are registered, you get a discount on these things! So YES, lots of registered people, not a TON of participation.

Also, we just got the new forum software not too long ago. How long has your software been up and running? :)

~JB
  • dean/klipschead
    edited March 2002
    Kanicker: I think you misunderstand me. My point above (if it's the one I think you are referring to) is instead of trying to bump me off the site - folks could be saying:

Have you heard Polks?
    What do you think about them?
    Are you thinking about getting some?
    Which ones?
    I own such and such and here's why ...
    Why do you like Klipsch?
    If you are happy with them then why are you here?

...and engage me in conversation.

In order for me to learn about your stuff I have to 'lurk' on your board and read what you guys think about what you have. Especially as it compares to other things. What's the freaking big deal if I answer some posts and try to engage in conversation while I'm here?

Every board has a general personality and all I was saying was that an inclusive attitude from members makes newbies feel all warm and fuzzy and more likely to buy your damn Polk speakers.

I'm a grown up and don't operate that way. If I buy some LSi9's - it will be based on performance - but I will probably hang out at www.klipsch.com and www.audioasylum.com because this is way to much like work.
    Dean

• fabian1
    edited March 2002
    I have just spent the last 10 mins on that Klip site and as I expected its full of head bashers, no wonder they have so many hits, who the hell needs that. I cop enough of that crap from my Wife and Two Daughters Regards Fabian
  • dean/klipschead
    edited March 2002
    What the hell is a 'head basher' and what posts were you looking at?

Is that the same as a 'head banger'?

What - you found the 'favorite guitarists' thread and base the quality of the site on 1 thread?

Come join the adults in the 2 channel forum
    Dean

• Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited March 2002
    F***!

I was in such a snit that I effing accidentally DELETED my post before I could get it posted. Why I oughta... If I had my way I'd effing slap all ya'alls.

Listen: Dean is here. He entered some other-brand info into the sign in area and -- holy moley -- it was accepted by the software. And he has contributed some interesting stuff, AND he has said this:

I was only hanging out here until I decided if wanted a set of LSi9's or not.

If you guys blow an LSi9 sale for me... I'll skin you all alive. Maybe Dean wants to join our little club. Maybe he wants to "be one of us." Maybe we should smarten up and welcome him. That's what the Polk family is all about. I do not understand what this fuss is about. I DON'T UNDERSTAND THIS.

And I had all this great angry stuff in my post -- and I lost it all I was so distraught.

This is me talking: Move on. Enjoy the forum. Welcome people who come seeking fellowship with Polk people.

MAN I AM STEAMED. THINK! THINK! THINK!

Micah
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • fabian1
    edited March 2002
    Argue, single out a individual and attacking, I just saw the Bose debate, although I am not a fan of the brand some replys are offensive, we do not have that crap on this site, or maybe people here show a little more respect Fabian:D
  • dean/klipschead
    edited March 2002
    Justin,

I'm glad you guys got new forum software - welcome to the 21st Century;)

I don't know how old the Klipsch forum is - but Paul Klipsch is a 150 or something.
    Dean

• Eddie624
    edited March 2002
    I was just thinking if u have a complaint about say the way the site is ran or something that u dont like about the forum site or whatever wouldnt that be better to like email the appropriate person rathern then starting a thread about it. Seems like what it does is just start too much controversy and then u get people ending up bashing one or another which is pretty much just immature. What about people that owned polk speakers but dont now should they be kicked off. I dont think so. I think anyone that is mature and doesnt cause problems should be allowed to use these forums. But as the great Dennis Miller says Thats my opinion on that and i may be wrong or something to that affect. Ohh i do like that u pointed out that klipsch has more posts from less users (Does that actually mean anything is there a point u are trying to make?) I think i got on the klipsch forums once but will have to check them out again
  • dean/klipschead
    edited March 2002
    Fabian,

Yes, I see people here show more respect. I'm sorry, I missed that somehow:D

Yes, the Bose thread has some juvenile posts in it. No juveniles here? Missed that too:D
    Dean

• fabian1
    edited March 2002
    Micah, I agree all is welcome, I am not knocking the guy I just enjoy this forum the way it is, If you lose the sale I am interested the only problem is as per the Polk car audio I cannot buy it here in Aussie land, Kind Regards Fabian :):):):)
  • dean/klipschead
    edited March 2002
    Micah,

ROTFLOL - That's the funniest post I've seen in weeks. Man, you got ta calm down - wez all bein civil an stuff an nawones cussin me yet!
    Dean

• fabian1
    edited March 2002
    G,day mate. Yes mate I talking to you from down under Australia, we are a family here and you are welcome here we adopt anyone here, WELCOME, KIND REGARDS FABIAN:)
  • -justin-
    -justin- Posts: 891
    edited March 2002
    Originally posted by dean/klipschead
    Fabian,

Yes, I see people here show more respect. I'm sorry, I missed that somehow:D

Yes, the Bose thread has some juvenile posts in it. No juveniles here? Missed that too:D

I should refer you to the "How old are you?" thread. That should help you out.

And is this the 21st century??? Whoa, I've been getting waaaaay too much sleep (or drinking too many redbulls)!

~JB
  • dean/klipschead
    edited March 2002
    Maybe I can be the **** stepchild?
    Dean

• wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited March 2002
    please leave the forum the way it is,we don't need a shitload of sections like the "other" forums have.its nice and cozzy the way it is.

scott:cool: