PS 3 chip faster than Intel or AMD

Options
PolkThug
PolkThug Posts: 7,532
edited March 2005 in Video Games
The new chip in the PS3 is faster than any chip released by Intel thus far.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6929471/
Post edited by PolkThug on

Comments

• jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited February 2005
    Options
    This stuff is so amazing. Stuff the US government would have killed for in the 60's are now put in video games... Wow
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • Mjr7531
    Mjr7531 Posts: 856
    edited February 2005
    Options
    "It also will not carry the same technical baggage that has made most of today’s computers compatible with older PCs."
    That will leave that chip solely in consoles unless they can figure out how to put that "technical baggage" back on. I'm pretty skeptical about the whole article, I mean, it is kinda unfair. "This chip is the best ever! When it's released in 2006..." And then it states Intel is releasing something comparable to it this year, oy, that's why I don't read about Computer news in the news.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited February 2005
    Options
    LOL. I just bought a PS2! This will be the last console I buy during its 'golden years.' PS3 should deliver some spectactular results what with Microsoft as competition now.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    edited February 2005
    Options
    I think it is safe to say, Nintendo is quickly going to be shunned out of the gaming industry, they wont be able to keep up - IMO...

I think we will find Microsoft and Sony really battling it out eh
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Shizelbs
    edited February 2005
    Options
    I bet that Nintendo will always be around. Worst case scenario, they become the next Sega, reduced to software only.
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited February 2005
    Options
    I disagree about Nintendo.

Their new system the "Revolution" will be exactly that. And the biggest thing they are going to add to the revolution is a brand new controller that will have a gyro-scopes in it. Basically if you want to turn left you turn the controller left, walk forward...ease the controller forward..you get the idea. I like the idea, and am looking forward to playing with it.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2005
    Options
    yeah what happen to Nintendo anyways? what.. 6 or 7 years ago. didn't they dominate the video game market? I know Sony and Microsoft are the currently leaders. where did Nintendo go wrong? Poor console or lack of good games?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Just because you haven't heard about Nintendo doesn't mean they're not doing well. I think you'd be surprised at the amount of kids with a Gamecube and most of the Pokemon games. Gamecube just seems to have a different (ie young) market.

I have a feeling the PS3's power isn't going to be all that. It seems like there have been some well placed news releases and leaks lately (the leak being EA in UK stating the PS3 will be more powerful than the Xbox2... funny, they haven't even gotten a PS3 development pack yet!).
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • shyne4life
    shyne4life Posts: 13
    edited February 2005
    Options
    This is the typical Sony hype machine in action it worked wonders for the PS2 and its supposed "pixar quality graphics in real time" I have to give them credit they really do know how to market their products i'll save my judgements over which consol to buy until after E3, and I get some solid facts, and I can see some games running on all the next-gen platforms.
  • Mjr7531
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by danger boy
    yeah what happen to Nintendo anyways? what.. 6 or 7 years ago. didn't they dominate the video game market? I know Sony and Microsoft are the currently leaders. where did Nintendo go wrong? Poor console or lack of good games?
    I haven't worked a night at my job where I haven't seen at least 5 kids all with their Gameboy DS and their littler sibling with their Gameboy SP.
    Besides, just it seems that Nintendo is gettin overshadowed in US, what about Japan? I don't think XBox is doing too well over there.
    Sorry Trey, but I find Microsoft lacking in the ability to really put out something great, at Nintendo, those guys eat, breathe, and live Video Games, and they put that back into the games and systems, Microsoft does not, they just want to get there name somewhere else, I've played enough video games to not give a **** about 'realism.' What good is realism when the game sucks?
  • bknauss
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Mjr, I'm confused about your statements about Nintendo putting out better stuff than Microsoft. Since both of these companies primarily (or maybe solely) do the hardware, that has fairly little to do with the game sucking or not. Sure, a more powerful system allows for things like faster load up times, less pixelating, and stuff of that sort, but its the companies like Activision, EA, Sega, etc etc etc that make a game suck or not.

And if we're comparing the gamecube and Xbox head to head in a hardware battle, Xbox wins hands down. If nothing else, the discrete 5.1 wins it.

As for Japan not liking Xbox (and I've also heard those stories), I don't think Japan buys many products from America. I've known a handful of Japanese folks in my life, and they would never buy an American TV or car...
    Brian Knauss
  • VR3
    edited February 2005
    Options
    The problem with universal games (play on all consoles)...

Is they are engineered after the best selling console, PS2...

Which is the weakest console out right now power and processing wise...

If universal games were engineered around the XBox, PS2 would probally just flat out blow up, or limit the games capabilities to where it looks like all of the other universal games out there...

Gamecube is actually a really fast machine...

Has a better vid card than the PS2 - PS2 has a 256 kb vid card, while the GC has a 32mb double bit rate, and the XB has a 64 mb geforce II (I think)...

I forgot the rest...

Will be interesting to see how the new consoles work out...

I think Microsoft is going to try to bump them all out of sales by releasing several versions at different times, to get a head start, then launch an upgraded version with more options when the competition launches theirs...

Just my thought...

I have liked most of XBoxes games so far, and I absolutely love Halo... Halo totally rocks, and only gets better as u turn the difficulty up
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Nintendo will always suck as long as they continute to cater to kids and only kids. They're starting to wise up a bit, but they've dug themselves a large hole.

The average gamer is 29 years old (Yes, this is a fact). Nintendo won't be anything if they can't appeal to the mass market. They don't have a niche because Sony and Microsoft have kids games as well as the adult games.

This is what has happened to Nintendo. The business choices they have made have been deplorable and they dug their own grave...fortunately for them they're not completely dead yet.
  • Mjr7531
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by Demiurge

The average gamer is 29 years old (Yes, this is a fact).
    Hence why Playboy was at the last E3 ;)

About my last post, I was talking more about the games, sorry, and yes I know Japan doesn't buy as many of products as we do theres, but if XBox is being heralded as this totally amazing thing, why aren't the Japanese getting into it?
    Just food for thought, not a pissing match.
  • VR3
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Because the controllers to big dangit (they cant hold it) - big just kidding, no one take it serious... PLEASE
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2005
    Options
    i play my Gamecube more then my PS2. what does that tell ya? I like Nintendo better than the others
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Well, you're well in the minority. Nintendo has been dying for years regardless of personal opinion. The reason they've been dying is because they've shut themselves off from the majority of the market.....a market of which all the other manufacturers compete over the entire spectrum.

Sid was right. They're getting their asses kicked right now and opening up their market is the only thing that's going to turn it around.

We've reached a pinnacle where both stunning visual and audio can be had with stunning gameplay. No need for bad graphics and lame synthesized sounds that will make you go crazy and add nothing to the game play.
  • bknauss
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3
    Because the controllers to big dangit (they cant hold it) - big just kidding, no one take it serious... PLEASE

Actually, that might be part of the reason the Xbox isn't doing well overseas (specifically Asia). Size seems to be a big consideration in what is purchased over there, so a big box and a big controller are probably going to detur a lot of people in Asian countries. I was in a big electronics store in Hong Kong last year, and there was not a single DLP TV there. There were tons of plasmas and LCDs... but because of the size of a DLP, I guess its not a good option for the small apartments and condos in most Asian countries.

As for Nintendo, I would like to see what their bottom line is per year as compared to Microsoft's for Xbox or Sony's for PS2. Considering the huge amount of dual screen gameboys sold during the holiday season, I wouldn't think Nintendo is really dying off. They may not be #1 in the console market, but they definitely own the portable gaming market.
    Brian Knauss
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by PolkThug
    The new chip in the PS3 is faster than any chip released by Intel thus far.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6929471/

nice... overzealous marketing and the press just eats it up. i bet the writer of that article doesn't know a computer chip from a potato chip. claims like this are comparable or worse than marketing like Bose. but if the public is gullible, they take advantage.

oh, and saying one chip is "faster" than another with a different architecture is mostly irrelevant.
  • PhantomOG
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by bknauss

As for Nintendo, I would like to see what their bottom line is per year as compared to Microsoft's for Xbox or Sony's for PS2. Considering the huge amount of dual screen gameboys sold during the holiday season, I wouldn't think Nintendo is really dying off. They may not be #1 in the console market, but they definitely own the portable gaming market.
    MS has never made a profit on the Xbox and they don't think they will either.
    "With the current cost of goods, which we have taken down fairly dramatically, there's no way to make money on the console in this first generation." -- John Connors, CFO MS regarding the Xbox

Nintendo is consistently in the black, even with all the doomsayers. It will be interesting to see what happens now with the PSP, but I personally hope Nintendo sticks around. In my opinion their first party games have always been the best and offer alot more depth than anything available on the PS2 or Xbox. First person shooters are the most boring thing on the planet to me but that and blood guts and violence are all the general public seem to want anymore.
  • VR3
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Nintendo will not have that 'hold' on the handheld market long, Sony is coming out with the PSX, which is twice the machine the Nintendo DS or w/e...

And it wont be long until Microsoft gets into that too...

It dosnt matter if Microsoft looses or makes money, they could be in it a long time and loose millions and still be beyond a rich company...
  • PhantomOG
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Nintendo will not have that 'hold' on the handheld market long, Sony is coming out with the PSX, which is twice the machine the Nintendo DS or w/e...

And it wont be long until Microsoft gets into that too...

It dosnt matter if Microsoft looses or makes money, they could be in it a long time and loose millions and still be beyond a rich company...

handheld contenders have come and gone in the past. i think Sony has a better chance than most previous competitors but it is foolish to outright assume their success.

and just because Microsoft *can* lose tons of money in the console market and survive doesn't mean they will. no company's board of directors will sit idly by and watch their company waste money. the xbox division will eventually need to be profitable or they will be killed.
  • bknauss
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Phantom - I wonder how much money they make off of licensing the "xbox" logo. That's probably where they make the money. I seem to remember seeing Sony wasn't making much of anything off of the PS2 either (or possibly losing money). I could definitely be wrong about that though!

VR3 - that's a very bold statement saying Nintendo won't have a hold on the portable market once the PSP (not PSX) comes out. Sony missed the holiday season, so that's a big strike against them trying to get a good footing in the market. Then compare the price of a DS bundle ($200 with system and game) to a PSP (rumored to be $250 by itself, cheapest preorder I've seen is $380 for a bundle... no PSP by itself yet). I just don't see them overtaking Nintendo in the portable market. As a consumer, I'm not going to get a PSP since it will have last generation's power once Xbox2 comes out. I don't have time to play portable systems either. I did when I was a kid and was riding in the car or whatever, but I'm always driving now, and when I'm home, I'd much rather play on a real TV with a real system and speakers than on a little hand sized thing.

My 2 cents. I've said my piece and will stay away from the topic so I won't keep repeating my boring self.
    Brian Knauss
  • VR3
    edited February 2005
    Options
    What I'm saying is...

If/when Microsoft and Sony and Nintendo all compete within the handheld game market, Nintendo will have alot harder time competeing than just being the only one there...

And yes, there have been other contenders, but they all sucked...

I personally really like the XBox, and plan to buy a XBox 2 - as long as they release one with a harddrive. I absolutely hate memory cards...
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    edited February 2005
    Options
    well the xbox has a hard drive, so I assume the xbox 2 will as well, probably even bigger...
  • Shizelbs
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Lets not forget that Nintendo is pretty much the lone survivor of the turbulent times of dawn of video games. They've earned their stripes.
  • PhantomOG
    edited February 2005
    Options
    What I'm saying is...

If/when Microsoft and Sony and Nintendo all compete within the handheld game market, Nintendo will have alot harder time competeing than just being the only one there...

And yes, there have been other contenders, but they all sucked...

Nintendo isn't the one that has to "compete". They *own* the market. Sony is the one that will have to compete. As others have pointed out, most handheld game owners are younger kids and I'm not so sure that Sony is open to going after that market. In essence it seems they are trying to create a new market for older gamers or those who see a need for a tiny movie player / mp3 player. Watching movies on a screen that is only a few inches across is stupid in my opinion, especially since the media must be purchased separately from normal DVDs. And pretty soon I'm guessing alot of cell phones will double as mp3 players so that is another dead end.

Plus they are fighting against a HUGE library of software. Nintendo handheld owners can still play games from the orignal Gameboy which are probably older than you are.

I'm not saying the PSP is doomed to failure. I am saying that it is just plain stupid to think Sony will have it easy in the handheld market. In my opinion, Sony has had a ton of success by being the first to go after older gamers in the console market. But I don't think it necessarily translates that well to the handheld market.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by jdhdiggs
    This stuff is so amazing. Stuff the US government would have killed for in the 60's are now put in video games... Wow

Sigh...the U.S. Government HAD stuff on that level in the 60's. If only you could see what is developed behind closed doors now.

Also, Nintendo ain't going anywhere. They have the most successful video game series in history (Super Mario Brothers) plus the most successful gaming consoles (original Nintendo) plus a multi-billion dollar a year international game business. Nintendo is a corporate giant and defintly has the resources to buy what it needs if it can't build it. Plus they have an incredible track record with thier marketing. The XBOX has the MS giant behind it with billions of yearly revenue to support it. Sony is another corporate monster that doesn't shy away from dumping money into a product to gain on its investment. In the gaming world though, they both pale in comparison to what Nintendo can do.

Keep in mind that it was only until recently that Nintendo wasn't the one pushing the boundries of the industry. Nintendo killed Sega and Atari. The Sony Playstation was only an also ran at the same time. In fact, if it wasn't for a few key game titles like Gran Turismo, Playstation wouldn't be nearly as big as it is now. Honestly, the XBOX is nothing without it's few games that get great reviews but are only available on XBOX. Can anybody say Halo 2?

Technology drives advancement in teh game consoles but without good games to play that are accessible, the game console is nothing. Look what happened to the Atari Jaguar. It was ahead of it's time but went nowhere because there was no game development behind it to support the console. So what do you get? Space Invaders with a really cool graphics overlay. The same happened with Sega. The arcade games started dying out because the consoles were getting popular. Nobody wants to continually play rehashed arcade games or Sonic the Hedgehog clones over and over again.

Nintendo, Playstation and XBOX succeed because they make it easy for development companies to create new games to support the consoles. Technology that drives them is only a bonus and often times, whether it is apparent in the marketplace or not, software drives the technology advancements in video games. Consoles are getting more and more like PC's every day. If you want to see where your consoles future is, find a great gaming PC, something from Alienware will do nicely, and get the best, whiz-bang game out there for PC's and you'll be looking at the future of console gaming.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Jstas
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by bknauss
    Phantom - I wonder how much money they make off of licensing the "xbox" logo. That's probably where they make the money. I seem to remember seeing Sony wasn't making much of anything off of the PS2 either (or possibly losing money). I could definitely be wrong about that though!

None of the companies make any money off of the consoles they sell. They make thier money in the games that are made for the console systems. They pay a couple of million for a game development contract, pay the developers, get and end result and start print media and packaging. It probably costs them less than 10 dollars a game and they sell them for 50-70 dollars in the stores and laugh all the way to the bank.

• Jstas
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by PhantomOG
    Nintendo isn't the one that has to "compete". They *own* the market. Sony is the one that will have to compete. As others have pointed out, most handheld game owners are younger kids and I'm not so sure that Sony is open to going after that market. In essence it seems they are trying to create a new market for older gamers or those who see a need for a tiny movie player / mp3 player. Watching movies on a screen that is only a few inches across is stupid in my opinion, especially since the media must be purchased separately from normal DVDs. And pretty soon I'm guessing alot of cell phones will double as mp3 players so that is another dead end.

Plus they are fighting against a HUGE library of software. Nintendo handheld owners can still play games from the orignal Gameboy which are probably older than you are.

I'm not saying the PSP is doomed to failure. I am saying that it is just plain stupid to think Sony will have it easy in the handheld market. In my opinion, Sony has had a ton of success by being the first to go after older gamers in the console market. But I don't think it necessarily translates that well to the handheld market.

That was a dead-on assessment. My wife has a Gameboy Advance and literally all of the old Nintentedo and Super Nintendo games are available for that platform. Nintendo will always have a stangle hold on the hand-held market because they realize that thier past is where it is at and they use the hand-held market to re-introduce those games that slaughtered the competition in the market 10-15 years ago.

Sid, please tell what other hand held systems were out there other than the Gameboy and the retarded cheapy LCD stuff you could get at Kmart? The only one I can think of is the Sega hand held system which did the same thing that the N-Gage stuff does now and what the PSP and Nintendo handhelds do or are going to do. The only reason it died in the market was because the hardware was not there to support the full potential of the capabilities of the units. That and the fact that stupid 6-14 year old kids that were playing with them had no clue how to use the advanced features. It was another idea way ahead of its time.