6.5" Polk Momo's in 95' TBird?

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited February 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey guys. Just surfin these boards, and was listening to an installer friend of mine last night.

He said he can fit 6.5" Polk Momo's in my doors.

I have a 95' Ford Thunderbird LX (v8 of course ;))

He said there's adapters availible to do it, without having to cut anything. Is this true?

I'm thinkin' if it's possible, that I'll order 2 sets of the 6.5" Polk/Momo's and hook my car up GOOD.

Any thoughts, or anyone else done this?

Please help before I "dig a hole" !!

Thanks!!

-Matt
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited February 2005
    I don't know what he's taking about but the adapters for the 6x8 inch holes cannot be used with 6.5" speakers because of mounting restrictions. I had a '94 and researched this extensivly. Instead, I think you would be better off going with the

MMC570 http://www.polkaudio.com/car/product.php?name=mmc570

which offers component like performance with coaxial packaging. I used the 5.25 inch speakers like these in a Jeep and they are very impressive.

If you are still hell bent on getting those 6.5's in, they will fit but you need to make your own mounting plates. The after market ones interfere with the door panel with a speaker larger than 5.25 inch in there. They raise the speaker up about a 1/2" and it contacts the interior of teh door panel. I tried mounting them backwards but the depth was too deep and the window arms jammed on the speaker magents.

What I did was, trace out the 6x8" speaker on a piece of paper and transfer the shape to some pieces of aluminum. You should be able to get it at any metal working shop or body shop as scrap pieces. They usually have sufficiently sized one hanging around. You can use a drill and band saw to cut aluminum, it's soft enough that the hardened steel of a saw blade and drill bit will bust right through it without a problem. You are then going to have to figure out where to mount the speaker in that panel so that it doesn't interfere with mounting holes for the panel itself.

Once you get holes cut, sandwich it in Dynamat, cut the holes in the dynamat and screw the plate into the stock locations. Wire and mount your speaker and go to town. That should be a solid mount that won't vibrate and will seal the hole well.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • DemolitionNine
    DemolitionNine Posts: 3
    edited February 2005
    Hmmm...

So the adapters make the speaker mounting depth too deep eh' ?

He says that it shouldn't be too deep... but I keep having my doubts.

I'll see if I can get the 5 1/4's off of him.

He was also saying that round speakers seem to drive better, and have more punch to them.. is this correct? I was thinkin of doing Infinity Kappa 6x8's in the front doors... but... if I can get the Polk Momo's to fit in there, ya damn right that's what I'll use.

Any other info is always appreciated as well.

Thank you.

-Matt
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2005
    if theyll fit depth wise, you probably got it made. a little cutting of the door never hurt anyone...
    worse comes to worse, build a spacer like this one:
    http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24444
    since speakers are cone-shaped, if you raise it up the rest of the speaker should fit.
    i dont know what he means by "drive better," but round speakers do have better sound quality than their oval counterparts
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2005
    The theory is that oval speakers arent as rigid as round ones and so are more prone to distortion and less SQ. I think this is a load of crap!! Ill put the Polk/Momo 6x9 up agains ANY round speaker under $300 and think it would hold its own againt $400 models. Ill put the MB Quart 6x9 component set up against ANY round speaker over $300. There is nothing wrong with oval speakers as long as they are of high quality and not some $50 WalMart set!

Stay away from Infinity. Ive owned them and in my opinion, they are way to bright and thin for car audio.

If your installer buddy knows his stuff and isnt a crackpot and says they can fit then take his word for it. I got the enormous Momo 6x9s in my doors when everybody said they wouldnt fit. Hell I even had CC installers asking me how I got them in there!!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited February 2005
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    I got the enormous Momo 6x9s in my doors when everybody said they wouldnt fit. Hell I even had CC installers asking me how I got them in there!!

If I were that size, I could get them in there too. If not, nothing you can't cut for normal folks.:D
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2005
    what about polk DB Junior or EXIII series 5.25" components ?????
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • DemolitionNine
    DemolitionNine Posts: 3
    edited February 2005
    Interesting.

I may just go with 5 1/4" w/ brackets... but we'll see.

Sometime this week, my decision will be made ;)

-Matt