how to disable rear speakers

nadams
nadams Posts: 5,877
edited February 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Okay, here's the deal... I bought two pair of the db570 speakers for my Ranger X-Cab. Absolutely love 'em. I'm now thinking about disabling the rear speakers.

Would it be better to just turn the HU to front only, or actually remove the speakers from the rear of the truck?

The only thing I can think of is that maybe the line out to the sub amp on my HU might be driven off the rear.... not sure on that one, I'll have to play around.

I'm guessing you guys are going to tell me to remove the speakers. I guess that would make sense so that you have a nice fresh replacement pair with the ones in the front bite it (possible with my habits). Another question... if I unhook the rears, will the front get more power out of the HU?
Ludicrous gibs!
Post edited by nadams on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2005
    I would leave em in, just dig em out and unhook them, then stick em back in. That way if you ever want to hook them up again it wont be hard.

If you ditch the rear speakers you wont get any more power to the fronts.

If you are using the stock head unit you should really consider upgrading to an aftermarket unit. More powerful and cleaner sound.

Then you should really consider a small amp. Something like this MTX would sound about 100 times better than a head unit and at $90 is practically a steal!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2005
    i just use the balance on my head unit...rear speakers come in handy when you have people in the back and listening to XM comedy:)
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • nadams
    edited February 2005
    Sorry I didn't quite explain the whole situation. I have a Pioneer DEH-1500 which supposedly outputs 25wpc (a big step over the factory head unit). I don't require rear speakers, as this is just a Ford Ranger extended cab. I can't use the rear jumpseats because the subwoofers are in the way :D

My thought with taking them out of the truck is that they wouldn't be exposed to the cold/hot/dry/humid conditions that we get in PA, therefore being "like new" if I ever wanted to sell them or use them if the front ones blew. I don't think they're necessary as the only time I hear them is when they rattle the speaker covers on heavy tracks :)

I have been thinking about a small amp for them, but I need to Dynamat my doors first as they already rattle the door panels as is.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2005
    i did a great system in a ranger x cab...

4 alpine type R 5x7's - alpine flagship radio - two alpine type R subs - two mtx blue thunder pro 150.2's, and an alpine 4 channel.

slammed like a mother f*****.

and clean and crisp too... rears are at about 1/2 volume of hte fronts.

without the rears it sounds like ****.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • nadams
    edited February 2005
    Originally posted by PoweredByDodge

Why do you suppose that is? Everyone I've ever talked to says "NO SPEAKERS IN THE REAR". Even on here...

You're the first one to say otherwise.

I think my bigger problem is a need for dynamat for all the damn rattles inside. System sounds good up to the plastic-disintegrating level.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2005
    Rear speakers done automatically make your sound suck. In fact the only thing they really affect is the soundstage. With rears they can pull your soundstage to the rear more.

They can also affect detail a bit in that having the same frequencies coming at you from different distances can "smear" the detail a bit.

Personally I prefer fronts only but if you think you want rears then go for it.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2005
    average coaxials alone in the front are not good enough to envelope the listener...

fronts only is a fine way of doing it - but you better have a good speaker, and set it up properly.

with a dinky little 5x7 off of like 30 watts, my friend needed the rears - the truck sounded hollow and empty without them.

with them, it filled up quite nicely.

the only time i'll do "just fronts" is when i get a nice 2 way component set (polk old db, polk dx, polk momo, etc) and also add a pair of 8" woofers to the kick panels in front.

without that, i wont bother.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • PoweredByMAZDA!
    PoweredByMAZDA! Posts: 15
    edited February 2005
    Originally posted by PoweredByDodge
    i did a great system in a ranger x cab...

4 alpine type R 5x7's - alpine flagship radio - two alpine type R subs - two mtx blue thunder pro 150.2's, and an alpine 4 channel.

slammed like a mother f*****.

and clean and crisp too... rears are at about 1/2 volume of hte fronts.

Yes I agree with PoweredByDodge....After all, the truck he is talking about that he did with the alpine system is MY TRUCK!
    2002 Ford Focus, Saleen Series 3 body kit, Eibach Racing suspension, ** Mazda RX7 13B ROTARY engine with Twin Turbo**. Converted to rear wheel drive. Dual Stainless Exhaust. 300+ HP. 17 Inch Gunmetal Excel Racing Rims, Toyo Tires & 4 Wheel 12 Inch Racing stainless steel Disc brake system.