3way with polk?

bam88
bam88 Posts: 82
edited February 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
I will have a polk MM6 in the front and am looking to try and hook up a 3 way system. Or should i bother? I have 5 1/4" in the back. Should I just put another component in the back? Simple 2 way coax ? Or can I do a 3 way set up with polk?
All will be hooked up to a 4 channel hifonics amp 100perchan(nx880). Will have 2 12" p - series orions hooked up to a 1500D hifonics amp under the back seat. :cool:
Post edited by bam88 on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2005
    if youre going to do a 3-way system youll either need 2 amps or a different crossover...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2005
    dude - i think he means 3 way as in "left, right, and sub" -- as in a "Tri-way" compatible amp.... but he's not actually running tri-way....

anyway - elaborate more my friend or else we can't give you a straight answer.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2005
    Whatever it is, you shouldnt put speakers in the back except for subs. Rear speakers are for passengers, not SQ.

Personally I wouldnt bother with a 3 way unless youre wanting to compete or dont mind all the hassle of the install.

I would advise going with the MM6 in front, bi-amp them and then tune the 12's properly (i.e. not overpowering the mids but rather acting as an extension of them) and I think youll be pleased with the sound.

If not tho, then you can look into adding a midbass.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • bam88
    edited February 2005
    k kool ... I just had seen these other brands with 3 way components boston acoustics , rockford fosgate and those are just ones ive seen . i figured... hmm wwonder if polk had some.
  • bam88
    edited February 2005
    also need to know the best way (no ratles) to mount a M6 in a 6x9 hole IE; front door dodge ram quad cab 2k4
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited February 2005
    My install.

I recently installed MM6's in my 02 Ram.

I used 1/4" birch plywood and cut them out and covered them with Dynamat.

Youll have to hack around them a bit to clear the door skin mounts but itll work.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited February 2005
    i have 3 ways in my truck but theyre not polk, theyre DLS. polk doesnt have any as of now. if you really want some you can build your own crossover and get a midrange from partsexpress. scan speak comes to mind. a good 3" mid would do you good
    -Cody
  • bam88
    edited February 2005
    good lord isnt there such thing as a 3way crossover that I can just buy? partsexpress? is there a website? well it is a 5 1/4" opening would rather just get one that fit to keep things simple.
    Would not have any clue what it takes to build a 3way crossover. :D
  • exalted512
    edited February 2005
    www.partsexpress.com ;)
    as far as building crossovers, check the12volt.com
    i believe CDT has 3-way crossovers but im not sure. id check partsexpress for those as well.
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited February 2005
    you dont wanna "just buy" a crossover.

each speaker is different, and you need to use the frequency range of your particular 3 piece setup to determine the crossover points... else it'll suck.

as far as doin up a ram - 6x9 plastic plates from sounddomain.com work great.

i had polk components in there with assloads of power and they never rattled or "leaked" - the whole door was dynamatted and i siliconed behind the plate before i screwed it down.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge