Need Help with Speakers

chopstik
chopstik Posts: 41
edited February 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
i recently bought a set of MMC6500's and planned on putting them in the front of my 2001 bmw 3 series coupe.....my concern is that they won't fit in the door panel.....does anybody know if these will fit??? if not, how much does it cost to have custom door panels fabricated to fit these??? i'm a DIY'er so i like doing things myself, but messing up a speaker install is the last thing i wanna do......i also wanna get rear speakers to "fill-in" the sound, but don't really care if it sounds that great since i won't be back there too much.....thinking of getting smaller speakers....like the 5.25" speakers.....anybody know if those will fit in the rear??? sorry for these questions, but i'm a newb to car audio.....

also, what is the benefit of using coaxial speakers vs. component speakers in teh back....i will be getting subs also....

thanks
Post edited by chopstik on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited February 2005
    polkaudio.com/car
    somewhere on there is a fit guide. as for custom door panels...im sure that can get really expensive...but it shouldnt take more than just a simple spacer made out of mdf to get them to fit. im not sure about the back, again, check the fit guide, but the standard for most cars is 6.5s in front and 6x9s in the back. they sell adapters to get a 5.25 in a 6x9 hole or you can make one yourself.
    as far as coaxials vs. components, for the most parts, components sound better. the speakers are made better. the crossovers are made better, most are adjustable...you can place the tweeter and the mid seperate which helps with staging and imaging.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • chopstik
    chopstik Posts: 41
    edited February 2005
    thanks for your help....i think i may have to return these as they don't fit.....although they do sound really good....

-roger