PSW350 plugged into switched power on receiver?

Options
wjbertrand
wjbertrand Posts: 11
edited March 2002 in Technical/Setup
Hello,

I got bugged by the hum that is produced from my PSW350 when in standby mode. It's inconvenient to unplug or turn it off and on all the time. I finally solved the problem by plugging its power cord into the switched outlet at the back of my receiver. Now when I turn off the receiver the sub is completely off.

Some questions remain however. The PSW350 is rated at 100w and the switched outlet on my receiver is rated at 80w (fuse protected though). I reasoned that it would be OK because I don't play my system very loud and so far so good. Am I asking for trouble here? Does the 100w rating of the sub correlate directly to a 100w draw at the power source? How likely am I to blow the fuse in my receiver? Thanks,

-Jeff
-Jeff
Post edited by wjbertrand on

Comments

• CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Jeff the sub should tell you somewhere how much it draws. IMO plugging it into your receiver maybe convenient but you want it to get the power it needs to get the best results from it. When plugged into the wall it can get all the plug is rated at which should be enough for the sub. Most or some of us have dedicated lines for our systems. IMO save up for a power supply/surge protector like Monster's or others. Then you can turn everything o with one switch and have your components come on in the right order.
    Chris :)
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Just wondering if it is ok to leave your sub on all the time? Mine i on all the time. Should I worry about this or not?
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • wangotango68
    wangotango68 Posts: 1,056
    edited March 2002
    Options
    mine is not on all the time,but it is in standbuy mode does that count?

scott:cool:

p.s. avsfan you like dreamtheater? so do i do you have there new cd? i have all of them except there real early stuff before images and worlds.
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Yeah I have all their CD's except the first one. I love them. I was hoping to catch them in Minneapolis this month but I could not get off work.

BTW- DT is about the only group that I will spend money on. Every other CD I have bought lately has been 2 good songs surrounded by crap. So now I will stop wasting my money. And start downloading.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • dean/klipschead
    dean/klipschead Posts: 295
    edited March 2002
    Options
    if your subs are using those Class D switching amps like everyone else just leave them on

i would not plug the sub into the back of a receiver
    Dean
    Quicksilver M-60 monoblocks - JM 200 Peach Linestage - Sony DVP-S9000ES - '03 modified Klipschorns

"I'm sure it's better than it sounds."-- Mark Twain, when asked what he thought about Wagner's music
  • lax01
    lax01 Posts: 496
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I plug my RT1000i's into the outlets on the back of my Yamaha RX-V800. It is very convient, and allows me turn all three units on/off in one switch. My sub is a piece of crap, to say the least, so I just turn it on when I listen to music or movies.