New Thread #5: IF YOU'RE INTO TUBES...

Options
Micah Cohen
Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
This past weekend I was in an antique store and I found the coolest thing: It was an RCA tube radio receiver from who-knows-when. It was in a beautiful mahogany cabinet that looked like a big rectangular tool box, about 20" long by 8" deep and square. The front had three black ridged knobs; left, right and center. The top rear section of the heavy wooden cabinet flipped up and open to reveal an array of tubes and metal parts inside. I have no idea what this thing did, but I know it needed speakers to be hooked up to it (it was not a self-contained radio player), and that it was OLD. Anyone know what this was, or anyone use these things? If you're still using tubes in your audio equipment, what's the difference between that and solid state stuff? Can you hear a difference?
ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Micah,
    After over 25 years of transistor and mosfet sound I just bought a stereo tube amplifier. First time I've ever heard one. Someone lead us audio people down the wrong path in the 60's. Tubes are awesome. More than just a little different. There is so much more info in the music than a transistor can reproduce. It is a pretty obvious difference.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D