Very urgent db6500 tweeter question. (pics)

Crashoran
Crashoran Posts: 6
edited January 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
I used the surface mount cups and came up with this:

tweeter3.jpg
tweeter2.jpg

The problem is that they are pointing way away from the driver and it sounds muffled and horrible! Since I already drilled two holes for each tweeter, (one for the screw and one for the wire), do you think I should surface mount them? (I don't want to move them and have two ugly holes sitting there on each side)

If you look in the first picture, imagine if I surface mounted it. Will I be able to pivot it towards me? How much of a pivot angle is there?

I must know, this has been aggrivating me forever. :p
Post edited by Crashoran on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited January 2005
    well you learned your lesson. next time use double stick tape or velcro and test multiple positions before you start drilling.
    you will be able to pivot it a little bit but not a lot. you can always just place it on there with the velcro in the mounting cup and have it swiveled the way you want it, that way youll no if it makes a difference before you drill a bigger hole in your door
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited January 2005
    You can't fix it. Your life is now forfeit because you drilled holes and ruined your door.

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2005
    I dont think that should be that much of a problem. The off axis response of these tweeters isnt going to be that bad. Ive got mine pointed at the opposite passengers head and they sound great! Something else may be wrong cause they shouldnt sound muffled.

I mean hell, I had Polk 6x9's mounted in my doors for over a year with the tweeter firing into my leg and it never sounded muffled.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • maltesechicken
    maltesechicken Posts: 32
    edited January 2005
    ^^ Agreed. My tweeters are mounted in the sail panel, slightly angled inwards (as much as the angle cups allow) and they by no means sound muted. Your tweeters are aimed more at the driver than mine are. Double, check your wiring connections. That placement should not make them sound muted.

If that placement would give you any trouble, it would be blending of the sound between woofer and tweeter, not that the tweeter would sound muted.
  • Crashoran
    edited January 2005
    i put some material under the backside of the mounting cup on each tweeter so that it faces inward more, it sounds a little better.
  • Crashoran
    edited January 2005
    Oh yeah, where should I put my crossovers? I can't find a place. I just put them under the carpet at the feet for now.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited January 2005
    thats fine
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited January 2005
    I'm not so sure that's fine if they're under the carpet at your feet. They need room to breath for the heat to let out. I think neo had that problem when he put them in tupperware. Also, I wouldn't wanna step on them, or have to use them for leverage, just in case:D . But maybe I'm wrong...
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • Crashoran
    edited January 2005
    So where should I put them?

:confused:
  • maltesechicken
    maltesechicken Posts: 32
    edited January 2005
    Here's where I put mine:
    On the driver's side, my car has a foot rest - big plastic thing that looks like a long pedal. Underneath that is a hollow steel cavity that was just big enough. This location is good for 3 reasons:
    (1) No problem with inducted noise - this crossover was originally installed about 3" from my fuse panel and the inductor picked up noise from there, so there was a constant buzz in the tweeter.
    (2) No one can accidentally break it. I is under steel.
    (3) No problems with moisture. It is not on the floor, so water will not flow there.

As for the passenger side: I mounted that one under the carpet as high up the fire-wall as I could go, and as close to the center console as possible. Really low probability of someone stepping on it there.

As for heat issues, the crossovers shouldn't heat up too much for you to worry. I would be more concerned with moisture or someone stepping on them.

Other possibilities:
    - Under the seat - installed on a raised board to prevent moisture
    - Under the center console - If your car has one.
    - Installed with your amp.

Do not:
    - Install them in side the doors.
    - Install them close to fuse panels or other electrical sources that cause them to pick up inducted noise (this is legit, I had this problem back in September) For this reason it would be difficult to find a place under the dash to mount them.
  • spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited January 2005
    I'll have to agree with not putting them in the doors, or at least inside them. Mine were originally there, and got wet. No biggie though, still work. As far as hiding them under things, not may favorite spot cause then it's a pia to make adjustments. Personally, I put them inside the little pockets on my doors. Works fine there, not in clear sight, easy to get to, and still safe. In the picture, you can see the little pocket I'm talking about, that's from my old car, haven't put them in the truck yet, been to cold and lazy. Unfortunatly, I didn't take one of the crossover in there to show you, but you get the idea.
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • Crashoran
    edited January 2005
    The problem is that my tweeters ring, and the foot rest thing you were talking about is right next to my power lines.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited January 2005
    cut giant square holes in your door - cover them in plastic tarp material, and then duct tape it in place.

now, go out in the yard and put a bullet in your brainpan.

... while this may sound like not the #1 way to go - you could always get some dookey kinda logo or something (say, i dunno, your favorite sports team) that's about 2 inches in diameter, and put one on each door in the exact same spot to cover the holes but also make it look decent.

just think dude - there's lot of things you can do do get past it.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge