Reverse Polarity db675?

CowboyDren
CowboyDren Posts: 6
edited January 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
I was in a hurry to change the speakers in my Saturn, and realized that I had installed the db675s in reverse. Being way below freezing for the last few weeks, I just never got around to fixing it. The midranges were a little muted, but they sounded really good, oddly enough.

Yesterday, I "fixed" them, and I'm just not impressed by the results. I actually liked the tone better when they were installed improperly. Am I going to suffer any ill effects from the speaker or from the amp (Alpine CDA-9815 60w V-Drive deck, actually) if I put them back in reverse?
-=|JP|=-
Post edited by CowboyDren on

Comments

• maltesechicken
    maltesechicken Posts: 32
    edited January 2005
    No, thats fine. Just it is putting those speakers out of phase with the rest of the speakers in the car, which could result in bass loss.

What it does, is moves the cone opposite the way it should. (It pulls in when it should go out, and vice versa) This backwards firing of the cone frequently causes the speakers to cancel out the sound waves of speakers wired "In phase" in your car.

Are those component speakers (ie do you wire the tweeters and the woofers separately?)
    If so, what about putting the mids in phase, and reversing the polarity of the tweeters? The manual for my EX3 Comps recommends this if you are un happy with the sound. Then you still have the mids in phase with the rest of your system and your highs out of phase which could be the cause of your desired sound.

Is there a possibility that the other speakers in the car might be already connected improperly too, so that by phasing these speakers backwards all the speakers are in phase? If that is the case, just leave it. No harm done.
  • CowboyDren
    CowboyDren Posts: 6
    edited January 2005
    Okay; it's a '95 Saturn, and it rattles like hell anyway. By putting the front speakers (675 coaxials, not 6750 components) out of phase, I can turn the volume up louder, getting less distortion, and less shrill high-end. By putting them in-phase, my entire door panel now bumps with the beat, highs hurt even with the EQ at "flat," and vocal distortion is audible much sooner.

The rears are still in-phase, but as they are $30 Wal-Mart speakers with 88db of sensitivity, they actually work out to balance well with the fronts reversed. Weird, huh? ;)
    -=|JP|=-
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited January 2005
    hes correct, it will not hurt a thing. you probably have cancellation issues in your car thus why it sounds better to reverse the polarity
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it