Audio Set up

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited January 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
I am trying to get the best sound out my Car stereo but am having trrouble. I have two 6x9 polk audio in the rear and two 5 1/4 polk audio speakers in the front. I have 2 tweeters that came with the car, an infinity base tube with built in amp and an Audiobahn 50W x 4 amp. All this is hooked into an Alpine 9831 head unit.

The sound quality sounds distorted to me but I don't know how to adjust the setting right because I don't know what each setting does. I have the option of setting the HPF crossover built into the head unit to 80, 120 or 160 and the LPF the same, what is best? Also the amp has the ability to adjust the LPF and HPF, do I use these settings along with the head unit or use the settings on the Amp or head unit by themselves and shut one of or the other off?

I am also having trouble setting the equalizer on the head unit, I have attached the .pdf file of the head unit with all the specs.

I just want to get highs and mids from the Polk audio speakers and lows from the infinity base tube but don't know how to set up, can someone give a suggestion?

I am in Korea and I can't get any help over here on the economy since their knowledge is limited to install.

Thanks...
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited January 2005
    I would set the HU HPF to 80, and your gain on your amp may need to be turned down a little. Just start experimenting.

Regards,
    PolkThug
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2005
    If youre using the stock tweeters, stop right now. They suck.

Second, you may need to adjust your gain properly. The gain is not a volume and it doesnt make the amp put out more power. What it does is sync up your amps input to your h/u's.

Think of it like this. Say your h/u's volume is at 100% at 20. You would want your amp to be near 100% at 20 also. If you turn your gain all the way up, it will be at 100% when your h/u is at about 10. Anything above 10 will push your amp into clipping and possibly destroy your speakers and amp.

Here is a pretty good gain setting tutorial.

As far as x-over settings, I would take the 6x9s down to no less than 50 and keep the 5.25's above 80. That should clean things up considerably.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D