dorokusai
dorokusai Posts: 25,576
edited May 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
Please refer to this thread before posting:

CABLE DEMO PROGRAM - GUIDELINES

DEMO # 11 :

PS Audio xStream Prelude - Speaker Cable - 2M

The Cable-

In the world of connectivity there is no more difficult a cable to design than one for a speaker. Speakers offer the greatest range of complex interaction of any single element in the audio video chain. Difficulties range from a purely resistive load to a nightmare of impedance dips and inductive challenges that are a cable designer’s worst case scenario.

As the most difficult design challenge in the audio chain, the speaker cable is also the most important link to great sound. Speaker cables are not the area to compromise your cable choices. In fact, all the hard work and energy invested in our system’s perfection can be partially wasted if we aren’t careful how we connect the final link between our power amplifier/receiver to our loudspeakers.

Prelude Speaker xStreams come with detachable spade and banana connectors so you never have to worry about future compatibility problems with equipment and the xStreams. Users are able to simply screw the appropriate connector in to place and make the proper hookup.

Soldered connections on all models
Every strand of pure OFC (Oxygen Free Copper) conductor on every Speaker xStream™ is soldered to the solid, machined and gold plated, terminals.

Soldering is achieved through the use of a high purity high silver content solder that provides a nearly perfect “welding” of the conductors to the connectors for a perfect match. After hand soldering the terminations, every xStream cable is inspected and finally electrically tested to insure a perfect fit and connectivity.

The Prelude
Our least expensive speaker cable is the Prelude. Interestingly enough, the Prelude will perhaps be a more robust and technologically advanced speaker cable than most company’s top-of-the-line model, yet it is PS Audio’s entry level product. That's how advanced a design the entire series of xStream Speaker cables are!

The overall gauge of the Prelude is equivalent to 10 gauge (big!) and has 3 separately insulated solid core conductors in a spiral, wrapped around the individually insulated Multi-strand core. The Prelude is a great all around speaker cable built in an oval configuration that measures approximately one inch wide by a little over half an inch tall when laying on the floor. The Prelude comes with both spade and banana connectors and is an excellent choice for most systems.

Don't hesitate to consider our entry level product for even your most demanding situations. For instance, at this price what high-end home theater or moderately priced music system wouldn't benefit from the rich audio presentation offered by these affordable beauties?

Getting the power from your amplifier all the way to your loudspeakers is a big deal if you want to do it right.

There’s no more of an important link than the speaker cable and we would encourage you to experience a true revelation of sorts by adding an xStream Speaker Cable to your system.

You just might fall in love all over again.
CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
Post edited by dorokusai on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Pic.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Review of PS Audio xStream speaker cables.

Equipment used

Speakers used RTi150

Receiver Onkyo TX-DS898 110w X 7 7.1 AVR feeding RTi150 mids / highs.

Amp Harman Kardon PA-2000 Bridged mode 100w X 2 feeding RTi150 woofers.

Sony CDP-CX335 a 300-disk changer, feeding AVR via optical digital cable.

Polk XM receiver feeding AVR via digital or Analog I haven't heard a difference.

Sony DVD player DVP-S360 feeding AVR via coax digital cable.

I used these cables as the upper mids / highs from the Onkyo, I also used the cables as the woofer speaker cables from HK PA-2000 amp.

The speaker cables in use now are Monster Navajo on the mids / highs, I use Monster In-wall 14g wire for the lows.

In either case I found the PS Audio cable better sounding like I had never heard these speakers before. A really eye opening for me. When used as Mids / Highs cable I found musical instruments I did think where in the music to start with. The speakers them self seemed to flow the sound them easier, if that was possible. When comparing them to the lows all I can say this cable hit harder cleaner, so in all these cable made a world of difference on both ends of the sound spectrum.

edited to correct an error on my end. I ASSUMED something first so I did make an A$$ out of me.

:o

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited February 2005
    Options
    I think i was told the brass ends are isolated from the banana plug, those touching shouldnt hurt.. a multi tester should confirm..
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • disneyjoe7
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by faster100
    I think i was told the brass ends are isolated from the banana plug, those touching shouldnt hurt.. a multi tester should confirm..

You're right it's isolated from terminal ends, sorry for any negative response of these Audio cables. :o

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• disneyjoe7
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by disneyjoe7
    You're right it's isolated from terminal ends, sorry for any negative response of these Audio cables. :o

And to think I actually lost sleep thinking about this.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2005
    Options
    I thought these were very nice cables and for $50 (if you can still get them for that price) it is a steal. I had a few issues with the size and real world usability but SQ was excellent. DJSFS used them for a 100+ hours and I burned them in for another 110 ± before I did my demo and shootout with a pair of Signal Cable Ultras. My impressions and comparison with the SCs can be found here:

http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=267743

These are certainly worth the few bucks shipping to give them a listen. SIGN UP NOW!
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited February 2005
    Options
    I'm guessing here but it's the Xtreme Prelude in the swap and not the Statement like the title shows? :confused:
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    Please refer to this thread before posting:

CABLE DEMO PROGRAM - GUIDELINES

DEMO # 11 :

PS Audio xStream Prelude - Speaker Cable - 2M
    The title may be wrong...but the first post by doro makes it clear what they are....
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited February 2005
    Options
    That's what I thought but just wanted to clarify. :)
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • Spawndn72
    Spawndn72 Posts: 453
    edited May 2005
    Options
    Hope this is where I am supose to post my review....

The preludes are very well put toghther. Contruction is top notch. I like the interchangeable ends. I used the bannanas on the speakers and the spades on the amp. Equipment used was an Adcom 545 amp, Adcom GTP-400 pre-amp, and a pioneer multi-format player. As most of you know I am very new to the world of mid-hi end audio and this is the first time I have used anything besides lamp cord style speaker cable. The wires I am currently using are 14ga. I listened to the eagle greatest hits which I am very familiar with.

I am now in the "wires do make a difference" camp. Everything was more crisp. There was more seperation in the sounds and the imaging was better. The place I noticed the most difference was in the bass. There was more of it and it was tighter and more controlled. With more normal setup, if I have the contour button pressed in on the pre-amp, there is to much bass. Without it, there is not enough. Using the preludes the bass was PERFECT without using the contour function.

Now for the bad. These things are HUGE. I felt like I was trying to manuver jumper cables into postion. There is no way I could use these speaker cables. I had to drag everything out in the floor just to have room to hook them up. This also prevented me from trying them with my TT. My interconnect to the TT were not long enough, and there was no way I am going to move my TT. To much time leveling and seting it up.

In conclusion, GREAT sound, WAY to big.

Thanks,
    Todd
    Setup:
    Adcom GFA-545 amp
    Nad 1600 pre
    Dual 704 TT
    Pioneer 707 R2R
    Pioneer DV-578A Multi-format
    Polk SDA-2 Mains