RT55i - BrandNamez says it's discont'd?

Options
ncstatesman
ncstatesman Posts: 145
edited March 2002 in Technical/Setup
I got his e-mail from BrandNamez saying the RT55i is no longer . . . is this true?

> "BrandNamez.com - Customer Service Department" <customerservice@brandnamez.com> 03/04/02 09:36AM >>>

Dear Consumer:

We were advised recently that POLK AUDIO RT55I has been discontinued and the new shipment of those units will not arrive. Currently, there is no replacement model available for POLK RT55I and POLK has not informed us of any plans to release the replacement model. However, we currently running a special on the following, KLIPSCH 2-WAY BOOKSHELF SPEAKERS, 100-400 WATTS => Model SB-3 - Special Price $309.00/pair (Regular Price $450.00). This unit is Brand New (Grade A), Unopened and is currently in stock.
Post edited by ncstatesman on

Comments

• juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited March 2002
    Options
    yep, this model is gone, and no replacement...
  • ncstatesman
    edited March 2002
    Options
    except for some left at crutchfield maybe . . . so, for side surrounds I'm left with the option of a f/x500i, or RTi38 . . .

I have the 400i center and 800i's upfront, would mixing in one of new bookshelf spkrs models w/their new silk tweeters be a problem w/the 400i/800i's I now have?
  • lax01
    lax01 Posts: 496
    edited March 2002
    Options
    ncstatesman: I seriously doubt that you will hear the difference since timbre isn't as important as in the front sound stage. I have the f/x300i in the rear with 1000i and 400i in the front and really can't notice the difference. But when I want to upgrade, I will be SOL too, so I will go with the new models.
  • dbournival
    dbournival Posts: 131
    edited March 2002
    Options
    What about Rt35i's in the back? You would have the same main driver (1) and tweeter. I use Rt1000i's and Cs400i in the front and 35 as rears. It is a mixed use system (H/t & music) It seems to work pretty well. You can pick th 35's up for $300 at crutchfield. I got mine at a local shop for $269.
  • OrangeToupee
    OrangeToupee Posts: 488
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Side surrounds? I would think that you might prefer the f/x500i's to the 55i's anyway. Like dbournival said, though, you can't go wrong with a pair of 35i's ... I'm listening to a pair right now and rather enjoying myself.
  • juice21
    edited March 2002
    Options
    i am also using rt35i's now for side surrounds, and they work fine in that position, although, if i find a good deal on f/x500's or rt55i's, they will get replaced...:D
  • johnnyamerika
    johnnyamerika Posts: 382
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I was almost thinking about trading in my 1000s for a pair of 55s and a velodyne cht-12, but I've decided to wait till the Lsi's arrive and drop a bit in price. I wonder if I should pick up some 55s while they're still somewhat available?
  • ncstatesman
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Juice,

If you had 7.1 capabilty, would you move your 35i's to the rear and then put the f/x500i as your side surrounds? I have a 7.1 rcvr, so this is something that I'm eager to do. Also, since the rear surrounds in the 7.1 set up don'

Also, brandnamez sys the 35i's are disc'd as well and that they will no longer rcvr anymore of these. Instead, they'er offering the POLK AUDIO RTi28 for $195 a pair, how do you thinK these would work as rear surrounds in a 7.1 set up that includes my cs400i, rt800i, f/x500i (which I'm hoping to get) ?
  • juice21
    edited March 2002
    Options
    i have a 7.1 speaker arrangment now. with 35i's on the sides, and 25i's for the center surrounds. right now these are all recieveing the same signal, still 5.1. i am soon looking to upgrade my rec., my only plan for speaker replacement, is for the rt35i's, replacing them with a good deal on f/x500i's or maybe even rt55i's...

IMO though, the f/x500's for sides and rt35i's for rear centers would be an excellent set-up choice!!!
  • stu4now
    stu4now Posts: 3
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Try all the C/City's in your area..................my friend hooked up with a pair about 3 weeks ago..............or do a search on there website and expand your search area. They still can be had even though there discontinued!
  • juice21
    edited March 2002
    Options
    stu4now - i've gone to 4 different ones. no f/x500i's at all, 1 pair of open box rt55i's, but i picked them up and returned them (driver was blown in one). needless to say, stopped bye a week later, and the same pair i returned was back on sale, for $60 more than what i paid for them. figures with CC :rolleyes:

well, my search continues...

BTW, welcome to the forum:D
  • stu4now
    stu4now Posts: 3
    edited March 2002
    Options
    Yeah..............the ole boys at circuit city sure keep track of their stuff (learned the hard way with a open box vcr). If its not a sealed box from them i wont buy it. There are 55i's to be had.......
    if ya keep looking.Did ya try there website? (have to pay tax+shipping in my state though). I got my 800i's from brandnamez and was inquirering bout a rec'v and they didnt have anything in stock! cant complain though ordered them on a fri and got um on the following tues.(heard some horror storys bout their slooooow delivery but it worked out for me) thanks for the welcome......i'll be in and out when time permits.
  • juice21
    edited March 2002
    Options
    just checked the site, doesn't look like either is there. it would have to be a pretty good deal anyway though, since i just bought two HSU's in the past 2 weeks...
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited March 2002
    Options
    I just got off the Crutchfield site, They still have the black and cherry rt55is for $399/pr. Thats still a pretty good price and you'll have them in 3 days. They are great speakers!
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson