MOMO setup in my stang coupe..

kovacs32
kovacs32 Posts: 1
edited January 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
alright heres the deal, im not driving my car until this spring so im hoping to have a nice sound system in it by then, so far i have aquiered a Polk MOMO 2124 12 inch sub, and a JVC KD-SHX700 head unit. my new plans are to replace all the speakers (Mach 460) and do polk MOMO components, but what ineed to know is what component system should i go with, the stock speakers use 5x7-6x8 size so could i fit a 6.5 component in the spots with adaptor plates? or what do you guys i think i should do for speakers and power? BTW the amp i have for the sub is a kenwood KAC-7201.

thanks,
ryan
Post edited by kovacs32 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2005
    I like to keep things simple. Mucho easier on the installation and wallet.

This is what I would recommend for a basic system geared toward SQ.

First off, great choice on the sub. No need to change anything there. I would build a sealed box to the required .88 ft3 volume and stick in the back. Experiment with placement for teh best sound.

For speakers, I would go with fronts only. Rear are for passengers only and only serve to smear detail. If you have to have them your SQ wont suck but the best SQ will always be achieved with fronts only. That being said get ya a set of these MMC6500's. These are the best speakers you can get for the money.

Now to power everything I would turn to MTX as they are among the best amp on the market. Right now, SoundDomain has their MTX amps on clearance and are at ridiculous prices. Again with the simple approach, I would recommend going with a single amp. This MTX Thunder684 is quite powerful and will put around 100 watts to your speakers and about 400 to your sub. This is just right.

This setup would sound very good assuming a proper install and still have the ability to get loud when needed.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited January 2005
    I'd agree with a couple things mac said...

1) skip rear speakers

2) go with the MMC6500 (unless you're willing to wait and pay 500ish for the new TOTL polks coming out soon) for your fronts... experiment before mounting the tweeter though so you get the soundstage where you want it.

The amp is where I differ though... while i like MTX in general there are better things out there.
    Personally I'd go with the HIfonics ZX6400, It puts out the same amount of power as the MTX previously reccomended but some of the specs are better

MTX
    Power: 85x4
    THD (total Harmonic Distortion, low # = good) 1%
    Frequency response: 20hz-20khz
    Signal to noise ratio (how loud it is): 100dB

Hifonics
    THD: 0.03% (you will notice a difference between 1% and .03% in your mids and highs)
    Frequency response: 10hz-30khz (wider range of frequency reproduction)
    Signal to noise ration: 95 dB (not quite as loud as the MTX though)

they're similarly priced, the hifonics is $30 more from this retailer
    Speed Sound Electronics

I'd take that amp and bi-amp the component set (front channels for the tweeters and rear channels for the woofers) since you already have an amp for your sub.

Hope that helps!

:cool:

p.s. ya gotta admit, the hifonics amp looks pretty pimp too lol
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2005
    Well, MTX amps are so ridiculously underrated that I guarantee you that 85 watts is at least 100.

That THD rating is "less than 1%" and on all the birth sheets Ive seen, the measured THD is always less than .03%.

Same with the SNR. Every birth sheet Ive ever seen has it way over 110 db. Ive even seen one at 115!

All this plus MTX is legendary for being overbuilt to the point of absurdity. Power supplies big enough to handle power twice what the amp is rated and so on.

Dont get me wrong, Im not poo-pooing Hifonics, they are great amps. I just wanted to clear up the specs cause MTX has some of the best around!

Here is a copy of a MTX birth sheet. A 25x4 amp putting out 56x4 and 109 SNR at .03% THD.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited January 2005
    Originally posted by Joelsbass
    Hifonics
    THD: 0.03% (you will notice a difference between 1% and .03% in your mids and highs)
    they're similarly priced, the hifonics is $30 more from this retailer
    Speed Sound Electronics
    Couple things... the human ear can't hear anything less than 2-3% distortion, mids, tweets, or not. Second, you can get the ZX6400 for $220 shipped if you have sounddomain pricematch thezeb.com.

If they were the same price, I'd probably go with MTX due to their great, nay, legendary build quality. however, since the HiFonics is almost $100 cheaper, I went with them, and have never regretted it. They also make a great amp.
    -Austin
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited January 2005
    BTW, what year is your stang? I drive a '00 and love it.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2005
    True, but right now SoundDomain has MTX Thunder amps on clearance and theyve got some smokin' prices!

Low enough to make me think about replacing my 6 month old Crossfires!!

• Systems
    edited January 2005
    Then you can pass them along to me. I need a separate sub amp so I can bi-amp my MM6's. :)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited January 2005
    id go with HiFonics over MTX. but everyone has their opinion. i dont know if you would be able to hear a difference b/t .03 to 1% thd though. i would say theres only a handful of people that would be able to in the entire world.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2005
    My opinion is that the numbers mean squat. Xtant rates their THD at <1% and SNR at 100 db. These are pretty humble numbers but Xtant are considered to be excellent, top of the line SQ amps.

All are gonna be below the audible levels.

Once youre in the league of quality manufacturers, THD and SNR are all gonna be excellent so choose on power, price, looks and features.