EX357 for my Ford Ranger

andy4251
andy4251 Posts: 2
edited January 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
an online rep from crutchfield tells me that the EX357's will not fit into my ford ranger as the top mount is too high and i will crush the speaker. is this true? any ranger owners experienced this? any advice would be great. thanks!
Post edited by andy4251 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2005
    Go here and see if the Polk fit guide says it will work.

If not, I would take the advice of Crutchfield. Theyve got their **** together over there.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • sidespin
    sidespin Posts: 25
    edited January 2005
    I bought the EX357 from crutchfield as well. The price was too good to pass up. :)

My Mazda3 was not supposed to fit these speakers as well, regarding the top mount. However, it fit more than perfectly. Crutchfield didn't recommend them, but I even talked with a sales rep, and he reassured me they were fine, despite the NO FIT statement from their website. They don't account for the speaker grille depth or something. Ford owns Mazda. This speaker should fit fine imo. Also, my factory speaker size is techincally, 6 X 8. However, 5x7 or 6x8 both fit perfectly. From what i read on another forum, the acutal speaker size for both sizes is actually 5.5 x 7.5. If it doesnt fit you can always return it too. Just check the mount before splicing wires. Crutchfield always has a great return policy. ;)
    Fronts: Monitor 60
    Rears: Polk R-15
    Center: Polk CS1
    Sub: Polk PSW303
    AVR: Denon AVR 1804
    TV: 43" Samsung DLP
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited January 2005
    crutchfield is nice to go by, but theyre not always right
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • sidespin
    sidespin Posts: 25
    edited January 2005
    Ditto exalted. I think they will give advice about speakers fitting if they are 100% guaranteed to fit. Otherwise, sort of a "better to be safe than sorry" advice method, which can eliminate a lot of customer issues. The top mount not fitting would probably be in regards to the tweeter on the coaxial sticking out from the woofer. If your Ford Ranger speaker grille even has the tiniest of space between the speaker, I would assume they would be fine. ;)
    Fronts: Monitor 60
    Rears: Polk R-15
    Center: Polk CS1
    Sub: Polk PSW303
    AVR: Denon AVR 1804
    TV: 43" Samsung DLP
  • andy4251
    andy4251 Posts: 2
    edited January 2005
    i searched a couple of vendors on ebay that were selling the same product . i asked if they would fit my ranger. their response was yes. spoke to crutchfield again and the response was there is only a certain amount of distance from the grill and i would have to do a custom install. i think im gonna take a stab at it and see what happens. i did find a polk page link for the 357's and one review said they worked well for his ranger...

here's the link in case anyone is interested:

http://www.polkaudio.com/car/library/reviews/customers.php?id=120
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited January 2005
    you could take off the stock grill...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it