amp for my SDA-1A's

2»

Comments

• german
    german Posts: 22
    edited January 2005
    Not so easy to decide,which Amp it should be. Meanwhile Accuphase is my favorit.But yesterday I saw another very interresting amp :The ASR Emitter 1 (http://www.asraudio.de/info/asr-emitter1.pdf)
    What I dobn`t know,is,if Ican run it with the sda.Also a call with ASR couldn´t answer my question.
    If it doesnt work,i-is the AI-1 still available?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,428
    edited January 2005
    Ok, let me make this as clear as I can. You CAN NOT use the AI-1 with your SDA 1A's.

You CAN NOT use a dual mono, mono blocks or a non-common ground amp with your SDA 1A's.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• german
    edited January 2005
    NOT SDA1---- ITS a SDA2-B not blade blade
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,411
    edited January 2005
    You are still out of luck, the 2B's can't be used with the AI-1 interconnect either. The manual for the AI-1 states that the AI-1 can not be used with the 2B's without crossover modifications.

Find a nice common ground amplifier and be done with it.

Good luck
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • F1nut
    edited January 2005
    Damn, I've done it again! I'm sorry, but I keep confusing you with g-man and his 1A's.

According to the info that I have you can use the AI-1 with 2B's if the serial numbers are higher than 14115 for the left channel and 14124 for the right channel. However, they may require a blade/blade adaptor (I've never seen one) be used.

The AI-1 is not available from Polk, however you can make one. Here's some info on how to do it, http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23442&highlight=AI1

As Hoosier stated, it might be easier to get a common ground amp and be done with it.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• german
    edited January 2005
    thanks for reply--
    meanwhile I had a further call with ASR and had the luck to speak with the Boss ,mr. Sch
  • F1nut
    edited January 2005
    Excellent!

President of Club Polk

• german
    edited January 2005
    So at least my decision which Amp is good enough to feed my new ( for me) SDA2-B is the Accuphase E405.I bought it yesterday. What a great changing the sda2-b with the Accuphase and to weeks ago the Technics Loudspeakers with Technics Amp.The sound changed alot.-
  • BobMcG
    BobMcG Posts: 1,585
    edited January 2005
    G-man, Congrats on owning a pair of SDA-1As. It's true, you don't have to look for an AI-1 (Polk SDA Non-Common Ground Interface). There is no application for the SDA-1s; 1As; 1Bs; or even 1Cs with serial numbers below LC 5975, RC 6001. HOWEVER some of the earlier 1Cs could use an interface but would require plug adaptors and some modification to the crossover. These would fall in the following serial number range. RC 6001 thu 6310 & 6501 thru 6678 and LC 5975 thru 6370 & 6532 thru 6656.

German, Also congrats being the owner of a pair of SDA-2Bs. If needed, and your serial numbers are the following or above, you could make use of an AI-1. LC 14115, RC 14124. HOWEVER Polk states that all SDA-2Bs require plug adaptors and some internal modification to the crossover first.

The AI-1 has been out of production for years but you could make one yourself. You could find out about doing this at this link. Check the "files" and "photo" sections. (I know I'm being a bit selfish but I do have two POLK AI-1s. One I'm using and the other is NIB. For me it's a collector's piece and not for sale.)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mikespolkpage2/

You might find more interesting SDA stuff here too.

BTW: For those interested in DIY projects, you can also make your SDA-1Cs bi-wireable. I don't remember if the schematic for this is on the site or not but if not it's available and has been done.