Looking For a Amp For Sub's

PAStitch
PAStitch Posts: 2
edited January 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
was thinking i got a good deal on a pair of polk db104 dvc bought on got the other 1/2 off...just wondering what would be a good amp to push these subs...placeing them into a 2001 chevy ext. cab
Post edited by PAStitch on

Comments

• g-man
    g-man Posts: 46
    edited January 2005
    An exellent amp for those subs are the AUDISON VRX1.500 mono block or the AUDISON VRX 2.250 stereo amp.

Check out this site and learn more..

www.audison.com

G-man
    Stereo:
    Speakers:Polk SDA-1A
    cd/dvd:Marantz DV6200(HDCD)
    Amp: DUAL Audiophile Concept. (1992)

ICE:
    Alpine CDA9887R
    Audison LRX 1.1K
    Audison LRX 4.5
    Amega Q-Comp50
    Amega Q-Comp60
    Sub: Focal Utopia WX21 BE
    Sub:? maybe 3 MM840.
    Stinger HPI signal,power,speaker cables
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited January 2005
    what kind of price range are we talking?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited January 2005
    Originally posted by g-man
    An exellent amp for those subs are the AUDISON VRX1.500 mono block or the AUDISON VRX 2.250 stereo amp.

Check out this site and learn more..

www.audison.com

G-man

Pairing an Audison with those subs is like putting a Honda engine in a Mustang. DB subs are definitely excellent for the price, but I wouldn't put such a high quality amp on them. And aren't they an arm and a lego to purchase?
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • exalted512
    edited January 2005
    hondas and mustangs...theyre not in the same league?:)
    -Cody
  • spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited January 2005
    Let's not go down this road again, we all know the Honda will win...:D :p:);)
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • exalted512
    edited January 2005
    wheres ronald?
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2005
    I agree with BK. A $100 sub doesnt pushed by a $600 amp is kind of a mismatch.

I mean it wouldny hurt but I would recommend something from MTX or Crossfire.

Since its a DVC sub youre either gonna have to run a 1 ohm stable mono amp or 2 amps. For those subs, the amp I would match with it would be the Crossfire VR1000D. It will handle 1 ohm all day long and put out over 1200 watts or 300 to each VC. Perfect match.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • bknauss
    edited January 2005
    Man... a Polk forum and no love for Polk amps... that hurts!
    Brian Knauss
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited January 2005
    that's what I was thinking. but we all know mac is going to rec. mtx and crossfire everytime.... and we all know i never rec. anything because i'm just here.

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • exalted512
    edited January 2005
    Originally posted by bknauss
    Man... a Polk forum and no love for Polk amps... that hurts!
    Originally posted by bknauss
    DB subs are definitely excellent for the price, but I wouldn't put such a high quality amp on them.
    you said it yourself
    -Cody
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited January 2005
    are polk amps expensive compared to everythign else?

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • bknauss
    edited January 2005
    Cody, different levels of amps with the Audisons and the Polks...
    I found a Euro site with the price for that monoblock Audison: ~$1000 USD

Price of the Polk monoblock: ~$450

I see a bit of difference here. Can't compare apples and oranges here.
    Brian Knauss
  • exalted512
    edited January 2005
    still pretty expensive for a DB sub
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2005
    I have plenty of love for Polk amps, just not their price. $500 for a 4 channel is in the price range of an Xtant, Alpine V12 or Orion and while I think the Polk amps are very good, I dont think they are Xtant good. Now if it were more int the neighborhood of $300-350, that would be a great deal!

I always recommend MTX and Crossfire because I dont think there is anything on the market that compares to them for sheer bang-for-the-buck. Especially now that MTX is on clearance at SoundDomain. These are competition level amps with exceptional build quality and making tons of clean power and can be had in the $250 range. There aint much out there that can compete with that. So yeah, I will continue to recommend MTX and Crossfire.

On a side note, the 400.4 was tested in Perrformance Auto and Sound this month. It put out over 100 watts per channel cleanly! Ataboy Polk! Now sell it for $350 and Ill recommend it everytime! :D
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited January 2005
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    ... while I think the Polk amps are very good, I dont think they are Xtant good. Now if it were more int the neighborhood of $300-350, that would be a great deal!

What makes you say that? Have you heard them on an A/B comparison? I was listening to the Polk amps at Tweeter and they are nice. I'd say that they are pretty damn close to an Xtant amp. Not as nice as those Audison amps but they will compete in thier price point. Power isn't as high and there aren't as many options but they are very clean amps and the do perform very well. They have great build quality too and solid construction. They also look pretty sharp in the cosmetics department. I just wish they were a bit more flexible or there were more models in the line-up. They can't cover every model of speaker that Polk makes and I do agree that the Polk amps are way too much for a set of DB speakers.

I think more amp models/options and a lower end line is in order.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited January 2005
    go grab an MTX 502 -- you've got DVC's so that's 8 ohms seriesed per sub which knocks down to 4 ohms in parallel for the two subs...

the amp will do about 450-ish x 1 at 4 ohms bridged, clean and strong.

It's also cheap.... check ebay for MTX 302's and 8302's - same model amp - very cheap - and it's a damn good piece.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • MacLeod
    edited January 2005
    Originally posted by Jstas
    What makes you say that? Have you heard them on an A/B comparison?

A/B comparo? No.

However I have listened to several Xtant amp in both soundboards and installs. The main thing I noticed about them is in heavy metal recordings in which the guitar, by definition, is heavily distorted. Ive noticed, the cleaner the amp, the cleaner the guitar. Albums like Testament's "The Gathering" are good for hearing the difference.

Also in Dream Theater's "Awake", the guitar solo can get very screechy due to its not that great of a recording. Cleaner amps play it smoother and the Xtant is, to date, the smoothest Ive heard.

Also, Rush's Counterparts is another good test disc. Since it was originally recorded analog, its got a good bit of distortion in the highs like cymbals and guitar leads. Again, the cleaner amp tends to reproduce these recordings smoother and the Xtant was my favorite.

Now granted, none of these were scientific tests and I have by no means auditioned a majority of available amps and Ive only heard Polk amps on the Tweeter soundboard and this may all be my imagination, but in my humble opinion and for my musical taste, Xtant is the amp for me.

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited January 2005
    The Xtant A series is comparable to polk's amplifiers. they're about the same price too - actually the A series is a smidge cheaper - and you can often find them on sale online, but all in all its a close match.

the Xtant X series is a completely different animal, and is in its own league with zapco, alphasonic, and the rest.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge