Rear speakers?

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited January 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
I've got a 2004 New Beetle and I know I want MMC650s for the front. Already have an amplifier for the current aftermarket speakers (Alpines--I hate them). My question is, what should I use for the rear speakers? I listen to all kinds of music and rich, clear sound is what I want. Thanks for any suggestions.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited January 2005
    dont run rear speakers at all. especially in a beetle, there is not a need for them. rear speakers actaully HURT sound quality. save money, better sound. best of both worlds
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited January 2005
    i agree, skip the rears and just get a nice little 8" sub to round out your frequency curve...
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2005
    Rear speakers tend to smear detail a litte due to the fact you have the same frequencies coming at you from different distances. They also pull the soundstage to the rear.

Basically, rear speakers are for rear passengers and thats about it.

If you haul people around a lot or have kids that like to listen to music then rear speakers wouldnt be a bad thing.

But if you are mainly driving by yourself and want the best possible SQ then stick with the fronts only and get you a sub.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D