Advice on upgrading stock speakers

Atchie
Atchie Posts: 9
edited January 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi,
We've got an 05 Honda Ody and recently added the "upgrade" Honda sub :( Hey, it was free.

We have always had Polks for our home systems and I am unfamiliar with the Polk speaker line up for mobile audio. We got a good deal on some Eclipse SE8363 and after my hubby installed the fronts I can't decide if I like them or not. They are 3 way 6.5 and are very dependent on the subwoofer.
The Ody comes with 6 speakers: 2 tiny dash (probably keep those stock unless I find the perfect fit), 2 in the front doors, and 2 in the rear. The sub is under the front passenger seat.

? How does the sound differ from the Eclipse to the Polks?

? Does it help to put a different speaker in the rears (bigger, etc).

Please keep in mind that although I would like to get the best sound I can at most levels of volume, my cool days are over (I AM driving a van)--so I want to keep it basically simple. Just need speakers that sound good with all types of music and for occasional DVD movies.

Thanks~
Post edited by Atchie on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2005
    Normally I would suggest going with front speakers only but if youre driving a van and are hauling multiple passengers around often then rear speakers would be a good idea to keep the passengers happy.

Ive not heard the Eclipse speakers but I would wager the Polks can whoop em, especially the new Carbon series. They are extremely detailed and open sounding.

I would also guess the speakers in the dash are tweeters so here is what Id recommend. MMC6500's for the front. You can mount them in the stock locations and be set. Then get some MMC525's for the rear doors (assuming the rears accept 5.25 speakers. Then forget about the stock sub. Get you a MM2104DVC 10" and build you a box and mount it in the far corner of the rear. Check with your local shops as they may have a vehicle specific enclosure that would fit perfectly and be out of sight.

Then to power all of this how bout a 5 channel? I would strongly suggest getting this
    MTX Thunder895. They are built like tanks and make tons of clean power.

This would offer enough power to get very good sound out of your speakers and also have enough in reserve should you feel the need to relive your younger days again.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Atchie
    Atchie Posts: 9
    edited January 2005
    MacLeod,

Thanks for the info. With it's size and the fact that I tow around passengers, I do need all the speakers. I doubt that Honda would include any tweeters--I think they are just itty-bitty speakers that offer only a few highs and not much else.

The rear offers a ton of space, however the "well" must be kept free in the event we need to lower the rear seats. I thought I'd found a perfect place to hide an amp or sub back there, but when we removed the vented panel we discovered it was the spare tire--duh! Good thing I haven't gotten a flat---didn't even know where the spare was. Under the driver seat is the DVD unit for the navigation so I think we're out of options for an amp.
    So for the time being I guess we'll just be happy with a speaker upgrade---but I know in time I will get the itch to upgrade and maybe do some mods to the van.

After a drive across town today (I think us Californians are actually learning to drive in the rain ;) ) I have realized that I do not like the Fujitsu Ten Eclipse speakers and we will pop in a pair of Polks tomorrow. Now we just need to figure out what model to go with. Do you have a link to the Carbon Series?

• Mjr7531
    Mjr7531 Posts: 856
    edited January 2005
    http://www.polkaudio.com/car/category.php?name=polkmomo
    Shows you all the Polk/MOMO series, all the Carbon Fiber stuff should be there.