98 Dodge Ram extended cab

Tank
Tank Posts: 8
edited January 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Factory left front speaker fried. Was debating just replacing it but may upgrade. I have a really nice home system, but do not know much about car audio. I'm not into the house shaking car systems I hear drive by - I just want good, clean, rich, sound that I can crank a little bit. Do you think that a sub and amp make the huge difference, or would a new, quality head unit with two good front speakers suffice... front what I've read here, rear speakers are pretty much optional. I know that many will say - "it's whatever your taste is." My budget will probably be 400-500 max. I just want nice sound that doesn't cause my wife to kill me (I spent a lot on my home system last year hahahahaha). Lastly - are kick panels the way to go with a pickup truck?

Tank
Post edited by Tank on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited January 2005
    yes, kick panels really are the way to go, but youll never get them if you budget is only 4-500 $$
    first off, kick panels, $130
    http://www.cardomain.com/item/QLCQLK3001BA1

head unit:
    $190
    http://www.electronicscity.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=16&products_id=228&osCsid=8a6db688fc6b4eac726d3df6d8bf869c
    polk db components for kicks
    $200
    http://www.sounddomain.com/item/POLDB6500
    mtx 2 channel amp
    $160
    http://www.cardomain.com/item/MTX342
    without kickpanels, youre looking at $550 with no box for the sub and no wiring, you can get a wiring kit for like$25 at wal-mart though, youll also need about $30-40 of stuff to install your headunit, so i went past your budget by about $100...
    you can get CDT components for $150 off thezeb.com, but i would never recommend ordering from there. by far the worst customer service ive ever dealt with in my entire life, but itd save you $50. also, you could go to onlinecarestereo.com and look up hifonics amps. they have a falcon?? amp thats $90 and would go along with those cdts pretty well, so that would put everything under your budget, but you wont have a sub. if you wanted to get a sub, even if you wanted to get it in a few months or a year, id get a 4 channel amp and just not use 2 channels until you get a sub. this way you could run your components off of 2 channels and when you get a sub, you could bridge the last 2 channels
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2005
    Kick panels are only necessary if you want precise imaging. Other than that, the stock locations with tweeters mounted high will be just fine.

For speakers on a budget, I agree with Cody's choice of the DB's. Awesome speakers for the money. However I would go with the DB675 for $20 more. Im pretty sure you can get them in your doors. If I could get Momo 6x9's and then the MM6s Im sure you can squeeze the 675's in there with a little minor bending. It would be worth the effort.

For an amp you could go with this MTX Thunder404 for $170. You will use this to power your DB's and your sub. Ya gotta have a sub.

For a sub I would go with this DB104 for $100. Build your own box which would save you a bunch of money. It shouldnt cost you more then $30 if you have some basic tools.

The head unit Cody suggested would be a great one but for $30 more check out this
    P7 for $220. I was an Alpine man but lately Ive been liking Pioneer gear more and more.

All toll, youre looking at about $700 for this particular setup which I know is over your stated $500 budget but for a little more you could have a stout system with a sub.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Tank
    Tank Posts: 8
    edited January 2005
    Great info guys. I'm going down to my local electronics store tomorrow to check things out given the info I have. I get pretty good deals there and they have a big selection. Install is reasonable too if I have them do it - only costs for the wiring harnesses, etc. that they have to use. I see my wallet starting to wince a bit. My wife actually encouraged me to pick up an XM receiver to go with it that I can pull out and use in the house too - she has a built XM in in her car and loves it an tells me that it isn't too much to add another reciever to an existing account. Guess I had best go shovel some neighbor's driveways and get a few more $$$ in my pocket hahahahaha.

Thanks,

Tank
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2005
    LOL!

Every little bit helps!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited January 2005
    i pull in about $150 a month donating plasma :D
    -Cody
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited January 2005
    Originally posted by exalted512
    i pull in about $150 a month donating plasma :D
    -Cody
    You go twice a week? I used to do that before I got married for extra non-taxable spending money. Made almost $200/mo. I still have my track marks :)
    -Austin
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • exalted512
    edited January 2005
    twice a week when im at college, theres no place here to do it damn it...but if i go every time i can i get just at $160
    -Cody