Down or up!!

AbileneS10
AbileneS10 Posts: 10
edited January 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
I just got the suggestion to downfire my 2 10" 2104 subs. Is this something i should consider or should i up fire them. Any imput is apperciated.

Mike
Post edited by AbileneS10 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2005
    You dont have to create an entirely new thread everytime. It kind of makes things crowded. ;)

The reason I suggest downfiring is that it lets the sub build against the floor yielding more output. In a cab this small if you were to fire them up they wouldnt hit nearly as hard. It takes a while for bass wavelengths to form and if youre sitting right on top of one its not gonna sound as good as if you were 50 feet away. Downfiring cures this. I dont know the exact physics as to why it works this way but I know it does.

If your vehicle were bigger or you had a trunk to put them in you wouldnt have to do it this way but Ive had subs in 2 small trucks and 1 reg cab fullsize over the years and trust me, downfiring is the best way to go.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D