Need help adding a sub!

EischMan
EischMan Posts: 14
edited January 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
Planning on adding this to the boat that we have; so, it needs to fill alot of open air space. I have two ways I had thought of doing this and am looking for input on which would work better or any other ideas on getting the sound I want. The current, factory istalled system is:
CD player - Kenwood MPV 5025 (this unit has no sub out)
AMPS-2 Kenwood KAC-6201 powering both cockpit speakers (doesn't go to cabin speakers)
Are we better off going with a amplified sub-woofer like the Bazooka SM10A-hp 10" 150-watt and changing the deck to one that has a sub out on it or is it better to add a straight sub installed on the boat with it's own amp power. I do have an Alpine 3554 that could be used. The drawback on this one is that holes would have to be drilled into the boat and the wiring is not readily available to tap into somehow. Thanx for any help or suggestions that you can give.
Receiver - Yamaha RX-A2020
Mains - RTi10
Center- CSi5
Surround- FXi5
Sub - DSWpro660
Post edited by EischMan on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited January 2005
    150 watts wouldnt be nearly enough bass for an outdoor setting. Youll need at least twice that.

I would suggest going with a 12" at least and give it 500 RMS.

You could use the rear outputs of your current head unit and use a Y adapter for the front outputs to run to your other 2 amps.

Then get you a MM2124DVC and then something along the lines of this MTX Thunder421 which will put out about 250 to each voice coil.

You could also go with this MTX Thunder801 for a little more and get around 900 total watts.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D