Sub for Stereo setup ? Any Suggestions !

Options
tapeshc
tapeshc Posts: 135
edited January 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
I have LSi15 and I want to add a sub to my 2 ch. setup.

Any suggestions ?

I already own Polk 650, thats used for HT now.

and yes as always, money is a factor.

Thanks in advance & a Very Happy New Year.

Tapesh
Thanks

Tapesh
Post edited by tapeshc on

Comments

• Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Huh?

Unless you listen to organ music, your Lsi15's should already be providing as much bass as you need for music. They go down below 30 Hz; most types of music don't go that low. Maybe you should experiment with placement, cables and components first.

If you're gonna get a sub, then trade the 15's for the Lsi9's.

At only $300 - $400 bucks, the Hsu STF-2 will work very well. Hadn't heard the baby SVS yet, but that could be another option.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited December 2004
    Options
    If you need a sub to listen to 2 channel music with the 15's, you might have a bass problem (in your **** :D ). I got one, too.

I fixed mine with a little equalization. You just have to be carefull not to overdo it. What kind of power are you pushing? with the 15's, I'd do at least 200-250 wpc. Actually you might wanna do like 400. Try that and then see if you need a sub;)
  • tapeshc
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Thanks for responding.

I am driving my LSi15 with Rotel RB-1090 that has 380W/ch. So LSi are getting what they need, either its placement or my expectations are high/misplaced/wrong.

Interconnects are Cardas Neutral Ref., speaker cable are Card Quadlink 5C.

Sometimes I just miss that lower freq produced by guitars or violins in some of the classical music.

I am not even sure if I will get what I am looking for by adding a Sub, thats why I asked, if anyone has done that here.

Happy New Year !
    Thanks

Tapesh
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Plugging the ports on the LSi's??

Do it if you want, however, it wasn't designed to be a sealed box.

Far as the bass goes, MOST speakers full range speakers that I've heard, the problem with sloppy bass is as much an issue with amplification (or lack thereof) as the speaker.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited December 2004
    Options
    I think you have a placement or room accoustics problem. The first one is easy to deal with, the second can be trickier...
  • 2+2
    2+2 Posts: 546
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Hi Tapeshc... admittedly, I dont know what you mean...I listen to a LOT of acoustical music on my LSi15 system with Rotel 1080 and can tell you there is plenty of bass.. I will also say that when I had RMB 1075, I had way too much bass...which is the reason I spent much time tweeking things like placement and thought about plugging the ports as suggested.. Ultimately, I solved the problem by upgrading to 1080 and better interconnects....Soooo you may be noticing the fact that your 1090 has probably an IRON GRIP on your woofers. If that is not your thing, I am sure there are people like myself who would be happy to trade you amps!!!;)
    System 1: Martin Logan Vantage, Rotel RC 1070, B&K Reference 200.2, Music Hall DAC 15.2, Yamaha 2300

System 2: LSi15 w/db840, Marantz SR8400, Rotel 1080, RM6800 (C&S), Sony X2020ES

System 3: LSi7, Yamaha SW215, Music Hall Maven, Music Hall MMF CD25 w/627opamps

System 4: RTi100, Harman Kardon AVR 230, Panasonic DVD
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,797
    edited January 2005
    Options
    I think it is a placement issue. The instruments you list would not present a frequency problem for those speakers; there may be a presence problem however. In most cases like this, I have found that it is a placement problem or "thin" recording. Remember the placement recommendation in the manual is only the starting point. Spend a little time experimenting before spending any money.

Xavier
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • tapeshc
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Thanks everybody for responding !

I dont have much space to try placement. But this what happened this weekend.

For long time I had been looking for a Class-A amplifier(affordable [:)]. Found one, Threshold T-200 for $1600.00.

It made the diff. now bass is much more tight and you can feel it. There is a overall improvement which is quite surprising. T-200 is only 100w/ch and Rotel RB-1090 is 380w/ch. I am not sure whether its Threshold or Class-A but there is a diff. for sure.

At low volume all the details can be heard without straining your self. Ofcourse LSi do make a diff.

I am no audiophile, I am a slow learner and picked up knowledge from here and other forums, but thats what I found.

Also my new find is Threshold T-3, another very famous old preamp, would be here today. Its also Class-A. lets see what diff. it can make.

Thanks

Tapesh
    Thanks

Tapesh
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Sounds like it might be time to mod that 3960. :D
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Tapeshc,
    If you are fussy about your bass reproduction accuracy, I'd think twice before integrating a sub in 2-channel. I tried to integrate an SVS in my 2-channel setup, and just could not get rid of "pluminess" (for lack of a better word). I ran dozens of sweeps with dozens of settings, but just couldn't get the bass accuracy that I had with my towers, alone. Keep in mind my curves were very nice, some of the best SVS had seen, but I didn't like what the sub "sounded" like with 2-channel music.

I've been running my towers alone ever since, and never looked back.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • tapeshc
    edited January 2005
    Options
    Well now I am more than convinced that I dont need a sub. Just wanted to make sure that I am not sorry after buying one.

Yesterday I got my Threshold T3 also. Aamzing:D :):D:D:):D

what can I say either I havent heard a good gear in my life or its Threshold.

T3 & T-200 combo connected with Cardas Neutral Ref XLR. You hear all the details at almost minimum valume level, which is best for me, I can have it on without disturbing anyone. Dont know big words. Imaging, soundstage everything you guys talk about I can understand now. Manual says its takes 48hrs. for it to stabalize, I dont know whats coming :) cant wait.

Although you guys are much more knowledgeable and dont need my advice but if you get a chance give Threshold a chance and you may be surprised by its presentation.

Also will be getting AQ BiWire Bedrock speaker cables, said to be better than my Cardas Quadlink 5C, lets see what diff. will they make. Thanks to AudioAdvisor's good deal on them.

Thanks every one for saving me money on Sub.

Guess what, when every thing in my rig has changed, one thing stays. LSi15s :D

Madmax,

Yes 3960 is waiting, actualy I am so used to my CD Changer I mean its convinience that its hard for me to switch to a single CD player.
    Thanks

Tapesh